Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And a lot of so called "pro legacy" kept naming and linking private servers when asked god knows how many times to stop. Don't try and paint one side as the bad guy here. Both sides were as bad as each other in the amount of shit flinging that went on in that thread.
    Just wish they had locked it before people got infractions for saying "I'm having fun"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by elprofessor View Post
    For a short time it was a pretty good nostalgia feeling, but there are only 3 things at the end: farming consumables, raiding, pvp to rank 14.
    That's World of Warcraft for you. You really saying things are so different because for a brief period in MoP there was pokemon to collect?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Just wish they had locked it before people got infractions for saying "I'm having fun"

- - - Updated - - -

That's World of Warcraft for you. You really saying things are so different because for a brief period in MoP there was pokemon to collect?
    To be fair more than enough warnings were given to stop mentioning servers by name or linking to the sites or images. If people hadn't kept doing that shit then the Megathread would still be open.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-01-15 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    "what made leeches better then modern medicine"

lets make that a thread
    "What made Terminator 1 better than Terminator: Genisys"

"What made Star Wars: A new hope better than Star wars: The Phantom Menace"

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

I didnt played in MoP and WoD

All classical RPG elements that influenced vanilla wow has been stripped away.
    Now its more a social meda application than a RPG game.

Also 40man raiding with properly tiered raid model was far superior.
    (That you had to clear MC to go BWL etc)

What made it better for me:

1. 40 man raids - You didnt have to compete as hard for a spot neither there were people benched all the time like it is now , the raids felt real back then and the spam on teamspeak was awesome.

2. It wasnt a number fest like it is now - No meters , no simcrafts , no logs , no gear/spec optimization , there was nothing like that , you could just play the game and enjoy it for what it was , thats why balance was never an issue on vanilla even though the game was unbalanced.

3. Raids lasted much longer and it took considerable amount of time to see them and finish them , the difficulty of the raids back then was probably like current mythic difficulty or a bit higher than this , right now you can just clear a raid in a single day on normall or hc difficulty and then it gets boring because you have already seen the content.

4. Every single thing had a meaning back then and you had to work hard for it , i still remember when i first got my dreadsteed and it was so awesome feeling , i went with all the locks of my guild to dire maul and got him after a hard quest.

5. Azeroth instances and zones were by far the best and created a great atmosphere , you dont have instances like blackrock depths or scarlet monastery now , its boring as fuck.

6. There was alot world interaction back then , you didnt have 4920493943939 teleports like you do now

7. A legendary was godly back then and you had to work insanely hard to get it , same goes for epics

8. Instances required coordination and strategy to be finished , its not like now where you just spam your aoe spells and thats it

9. There were server communities back then and you had to work with them

10. Leveling was a great experience , far better than now

I think blizzard is trying to reintroduce some vanilla elements like mythic+ for example , now you have to run into the stone and summon and the dungeons take a bit more coordination to be finished , mythic raiding is also like vanilla raiding , its still not enough though , the game is too casual friendly and rng based , you dont get a unique feeling playing this game anymore.

Deleted
    Nothing

People need to get over nostalgia

Tom Chilton:

"People who played Vanilla always say 'if it had stayed the same, I would have the same fun now as I did then.' But that's not true. Audiences always evolve,"
    (quoted in a 2013 interview.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Bash battlepets if you want but that is a part of the game that has a lot of collectability and things for players to do. It was a great addition to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    1. 40 man raids - You didnt have to compete as hard for a spot neither there were people benched all the time like it is now , the raids felt real back then and the spam on teamspeak was awesome.
    You can bring up to 30 people today, and raids are flex-sized. 'Benching' because there "aren't enough spots in the raid", plus you don't have to pad your raid group just to reach a certain group size.

2. It wasnt a number fest like it is now - No meters , no simcrafts , no logs , no gear/spec optimization , there was nothing like that , you could just play the game and enjoy it for what it was , thats why balance was never an issue on vanilla even though the game was unbalanced.
    I do hope you understand that this is never coming back, right? Assuming Blizzard releases legacy realms, you can be sure there will be simcrafts, damage meters, the whole nine yards of addons for legacy. It won't go back to how it was over twelve years ago.

3. Raids lasted much longer and it took considerable amount of time to see them and finish them , the difficulty of the raids back then was probably like current mythic difficulty or a bit higher than this , right now you can just clear a raid in a single day on normall or hc difficulty and then it gets boring because you have already seen the content.
    No. No, it wasn't. To say this is to either be dishonest, or to admit your glasses are opaque, being so clouded with nostalgia. The only real difficulty in the vanilla raids was coordinating 40 people to work together and work together reasonably well. Several people could die in progression fights and the boss still be downed. Bosses, back then, had only a handful of abilities, and nowadays they have tons. Raid boss fights became more and more complex as time went on.

5. Azeroth instances and zones were by far the best and created a great atmosphere , you dont have instances like blackrock depths or scarlet monastery now , its boring as fuck.
    You're being way too vague here to be taken seriously. What is a 'great atmosphere'? It's so vague, it basically means nothing.

6. There was alot world interaction back then , you didnt have 4920493943939 teleports like you do now
    What do you mean, exactly? HEarthstone and teleport spells? That always existed.

8. Instances required coordination and strategy to be finished , its not like now where you just spam your aoe spells and thats it
    That's not the case for Mythic+ runs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Tom Chilton:

(quoted in a 2013 interview.)
    And he's not wrong, at least in the "audiences always evolve" part.

4. Every single thing had a meaning back then and you had to work hard for it , i still remember when i first got my dreadsteed and it was so awesome feeling , i went with all the locks of my guild to dire maul and got him after a hard quest.

7. A legendary was godly back then and you had to work insanely hard to get it , same goes for epics

I think blizzard is trying to reintroduce some vanilla elements like mythic+ for example , now you have to run into the stone and summon and the dungeons take a bit more coordination to be finished , mythic raiding is also like vanilla raiding , its still not enough though , the game is too casual friendly and rng based , you dont get a unique feeling playing this game anymore.
    This is why I can't take the vanilla people seriously.

Half of these bullets are complete filler or nonsense. Some of them are contradictory. Some of them are flat out wrong.

Leveling was a great experience? Compared to now? Are you fucking kidding me right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Killadrix View Post
    This is why I can't take the vanilla people seriously.

Half of these bullets are complete filler or nonsense. Some of them are contradictory. Some of them are flat out wrong.

Leveling was a great experience? Compared to now? Are you fucking kidding me right now?
    Depends on who you ask. The instant gratification kiddies like the way it is now of course. Facerolling to level cap with ease. Some who enjoy a real MMORPG prefer more of a challenge that required more thought process and found Vanilla to be epic. The problem is Vanilla and now are completely two different games with two entirely different audiences.

Edit: And BTW, most of what you originally responded to is in fact true, because I was actually there.
    Last edited by Demithio; 2017-01-15 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    Edit: And BTW, most of what you originally responded to is in fact true, because I was actually there.
    Most of it is subjective opinion. You can't really say it's true or false.

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    The devs are in such a rush to cater to the lowest common denominator that they end up alienating a large portion of their otherwise dedicated player base.
    The devs have learned (perhaps to their frustration and regret) that some things don't work. They've stopped doing things that didn't work. They don't have the luxury of being able to live in denial.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

epics weren't 'insanely hard to get' what was difficult to get was 40 ppl who could show up at the same time for 4-6hrs, preferably once every other day if not every day.

the dungeon epic drops just had low drops combined with the ability to run any dungeon in a raid group meant everyone rolled need if something did drop. with persistance though and the fact that the dungeons were the only thing to do in the entire game if you weren't raiding.

i personally had the book of the dead, the ring from lbrs, the felstrike and the blade of drakkisath, i saw the staff from scholo drop a number of times. i saw a guy who had the blade of rivendare but didn't see that one drop. stupidly low drop chances not 'insanely hard to get'.

ofc if you could pass that first barrier of having 40 buds then the game shit out purples erry day just like today. hell zg wasn't that hard either pretty sure most of my guild was still using blue gear when hakkar died the first time, that place threw epic gear around and you didn't even need 40ppl.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-01-15 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Easy - the game wasn't afraid to challenge you back in classic.
    Actually... this would be a wrong assumption. WoW didn't challenge players, even back then. WoW was, since its inception, a more 'casual'-oriented MMO than all the other MMO games around. People in the other famous MMOs at the time, like Everquest, would mock WoW players for being 'casual scrubs'.

Trying to legitimately compare the two is just fundamentally retarded, like comparing a modern sports star to a historic one from a different era. Vanilla and Legion are both a ton of fun, however. Whichever versions of WoW you don't like, you don't need to think or talk about. Live your own fucking life and stop worrying what everyone else is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Actually... this would be a wrong assumption. WoW didn't challenge players, even back then. WoW was, since its inception, a more 'casual'-oriented MMO than all the other MMO games around. People in the other famous MMOs at the time, like Everquest, would mock WoW players for being 'casual scrubs'.
    Yup, WoW was known as the casual friendly game from many of the Everquest players I knew. However, I also realized that the game offered a fair amount of fun and at the time the graphics/UI and ease of play was some really compelling stuff. I figured WoW would hand EQ it's ass and it did.

But for people to make claims that Vanilla WoW "wasn't afraid to challenge you" is funny as hell. Everquest punished you and punished you hard for failure. Huge exp loss penalties on death PLUS you had to go back and retrieve your corpse, not in ghost form mind you, but you WITHOUT your gear. So many people could die again and lose even more experience. Mobs would chase you the entire zone until they either killed you or ran into other players on the way and murdered them. Trains of mobs to the zone in were common because people wanted to escape the EXP penalties and corpse retrievals.

Everquest took far longer to level than WoW did and had some pretty damn difficult requirements for getting keyed to go to zones, many of them taking massive raids to accomplish. (Raid size was 72 people if I remember correctly.) So WoW was the casual MMO but it had some upside for serious players such as the raiding and dungeons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Trying to legitimately compare the two is just fundamentally retarded, like comparing a modern sports star to a historic one from a different era. Vanilla and Legion are both a ton of fun, however. Whichever versions of WoW you don't like, you don't need to think or talk about. Live your own fucking life and stop worrying what everyone else is doing.
    Yeah except people compare sports stars from different eras all the time. Like who is the best QB of all time? Montana? Brady? etc. It is a commonly done thing in society so for you to rush in here to chirp at people and tell us we don't need to talk about what versions of WoW we do or don't like? Get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Except the bolded part is wrong. WoW wasn't as hard as other MMOs but it wasn't an easy game. It was as difficult as something like Morrowind.

Deleted

This is the nostalgia and the memories you have back in the days. But for today, if you play today vanilla wow, there is nothing original anymore. You have logs, you have meters, you have min-max - today even in vanilla its an numbers game and anyone wants to min-max. There is an WCL like side and tool specificly designed for private servers.

You are talking about your old memories, but this is not the topic. What is the reason to replay this game if you nerded it completely out in 2005/2006. There are no surprises anymore, you know everything.