Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    pretty sure a marriage licence doesn't cost that much, anywhere near actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Misleading title is misleading. Those who say they can't afford it could most assuredly afford the cost of simply getting married. The cost of a wedding with guests is what they can't afford.
    Getting married implies having a wedding bud. The OP could only fit so much into the title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    Yea if you stick to beer and wine it can be conciderly less.
    Yup. I've been to a couple shoestring budget weddings where they bought all the booze at a place like Sam's or Costco or wherever and just had a friend bartend. I know I also helped provide wine to two weddings as my gift.

On a side note for people in the US you can get some really cheap but good wine on groupon. Comes out to about $5 a bottle if you do it right and it's from all over the world and I haven't had a bad bottle yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Oh the outrage, what will we do to fix this!?!?
    The same thing we always do Pinky ...tax rich people.

/jokes
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It should be. However if parents have varying expectations then the marriage can get started on rocky terms. I've heard some pretty scary stories with the parents wanting a really large wedding and to invite everyone.
    And that's a great first test of the relationship. My personal belief is that the marriage about the two people getting married and how compatible they are with each other. The Couple needs to know and have worked out what THEY want. From there they can work out how much they want to include input from the parents. A couple can learn a bit about themselves and their partners through such things. Maybe some early signs of trouble that might need to be addressed first.

I had a friend who suffered a bit through his wedding because "her parents were paying for it" so he felt he didn't get much say in the matter. I fully believe a couple should get married and have a wedding at their own expense. Parents can offer, but that shouldn't give them any rights\control over things.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is this an issue?

Can't afford to have all of that? Then stop daydreaming and go for less. Are people really this shallow when it comes to weddings, that you can't do it if it's not something out of a Disney movie?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive watched enough bridezillas and Say Yes to the Dress to know what I want, dont want, and that my parents should not be super controlling over everything or else Imma just skip the wedding and go straight for elope.

Although, a small part of me would want to get married at Disney, but thats expensive as hell.

Any one who spends that on a wedding and isnt a 1%er, is a moron. That money would be infinitely more useful as a down payment.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2017-01-15 at 07:22 PM.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been with the same guy for 12 years, we haven't married for 1 reason, insurance. We live in the U.S. and our combined income would take mine away, leaving me no way to pay for my expensive meds. We are in that weird in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    And that's a great first test of the relationship. My personal belief is that the marriage about the two people getting married and how compatible they are with each other. The Couple needs to know and have worked out what THEY want. From there they can work out how much they want to include input from the parents. A couple can learn a bit about themselves and their partners through such things. Maybe some early signs of trouble that might need to be addressed first.

I had a friend who suffered a bit through his wedding because "her parents were paying for it" so he felt he didn't get much say in the matter. I fully believe a couple should get married and have a wedding at their own expense. Parents can offer, but that shouldn't give them any rights\control over things.
    IMO if parents want to help they should write a check and had the couple their guest list. Parents who insist on controllling the planning of a wedding are the worst. I wouldn't want my parents money if it came with that.

- - - Updated - - -

What's even worse? The new craze is the expensive sweet 16 parties.

My wedding cost about $500, and it was gorgeous. My best friend and his wife spent almost $60k on their wedding. It was also gorgeous. Both couples are still married, and are still raising children. Lucky for me, I have more saved up, and will retire with more money than he and his wife. That single decision will end up being the difference of over a quarter of a million dollars over time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although, I think a good photographer is a necessary expense. Photos are forever, and you dont want them to suck.

I know the only way I'll get my photographer mom to not spend most of the wedding taking pictures is if i get one just as good as her, which will cost money >.>

Oh for f**** sake. Marriage isn't some kind of holy ceremony that it was centuries ago. Marriage means you having a shared bank account and no sex life, nothing else.

What people can't afford is a wedding, which is completely trivial.

Last edited by Jakisuaki; 2017-01-15 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    Oh for f**** sake. Marriage isn't some kind of holy ceremony that it was centuries ago. Marriage means you having a shared bank account and no sex life, nothing else.
    If this is what your marriage is...you're doing it wrong.

What people can't afford is a wedding, which is completely trivial.
    What a romantic! lol

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    My wedding cost about $500, and it was gorgeous. My best friend and his wife spent almost $60k on their wedding. It was also gorgeous. Both couples are still married, and are still raising children. Lucky for me, I have more saved up, and will retire with more money than he and his wife. That single decision will end up being the difference of over a quarter of a million dollars over time.
    How could you know this unless you had access to their bank records, asset value etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I mean, the sex life was a joke, but "marriage" is just a formal title for a relationship. What's the bloody difference except for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, the sex life was a joke, but "marriage" is just a formal title for a relationship. What's the bloody difference except for this?
    Quit projecting your opinion onto the rest of us. Most people want to be married. Deal with it if it isn't your world view.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    And I'd call that a really nice illusion. My parents were poor farmer kids, they got the JoP marriage with $100 rings( has did most of their brothers\sisters\cousins). Any notion that you need to spend X amount on a ring\wedding is more about what the industry wants and less about practical advice.
    Most of us aren't living out in Rural middle of nowhere. We live in cities. There is a different culture and expectations to deal with.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    No, they are doing it right. Because that's what marriage is. Their relationship and living together is a completely different topic.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a whole lot of legal stuff that goes into the title.

Your Marital Rights

Marital rights can vary from state to state, however, most states recognize the following spousal rights:

ability to open joint bank accounts

ability to file joint federal and state tax returns

right to receive “marriage” or “family rate” on health, car and/or liability insurance

right to inherit spouse’s property upon death

right to sue for spouse’s wrongful death or loss of consortium, and

right to receive spouse’s Social Security, pension, worker’s compensation, or disability benefits.

http://family-law.lawyers.com/matrim...ed-person.html

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No, they are doing it right. Because that's what marriage is. Their relationship and living together is a completely different topic.
    Stopping sex after marriage actually happens?
    Last edited by Captain N; 2017-01-15 at 07:55 PM.