Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Nothing

People need to get over nostalgia
    You and other sycophants should maybe take a look at sub numbers. The game is complete shit compared to 10 years ago and that's objective fact.

Quote Originally Posted by lolpve View Post
    You and other sycophants should maybe take a look at sub numbers. The game is complete shit compared to 10 years ago and that's objective fact.
    Oh do you have an official number of what the subs are? Of course you don't. Times change by the way, this isn't 10 years ago.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    tell this tro yourself .. u know its over a decade .. not everyone keeps playing a game for 14 years but well Nostalgia boy and u should do research of how many subs Vanilla had so either stfu or do research

You mean people won't play a game for 12 years straight? I learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You mean people won't play a game for 12 years straight? I learn something new everyday.
    that's an objective fact. Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    that's an objective fact. Okay?
    Yes sir!

/10 char

Except for the face that's it's still one of the most popular games in the world TWELVE YEARS LATER.

Clearly that means its a shit game.

Quote Originally Posted by Killadrix View Post
    Except for the face that's it's still one of the most popular games in the world TWELVE YEARS LATER.

Clearly that means its a shit game.
    As lolpve says: "that's an objective fact."

But yeah I don't get it either, the massive hate for retail from some people despite the game still being around 12 years after the fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Never said it was that easy to make friends. Again stop exaggerating, sitting outside of a summoning stone for hours, was not common. My server wasn't dead either. Running into the same people was a very real thing, and to be fair this was the case for the next few expacks. It still happens today, but not like it used to. Any non biased person will agree, if not they are being dishonest. Just because you didn't experience it, doesn't mean it is untrue.
    So how did people get groups without group finder? You zealots are saying no one spammed group/trade chat...now you're saying people didn't sit in front of a summoning stone...so what is it? People magically thought "Gee...I want to run Scholomance today!" Then people just sent said person a tell saying they want to run Scholo today too?

Stop with the bullshit...I can't tell you how many times I've seen Vanilla fanbois lie...you just keep lying your asses off any way you can just to make Vanilla better than the piece of shit it was.

From claiming pirate servers had more activity than they really did, to claim hybrid specs are viable when they do half the dps or less than a real dps spec, and now claiming servers were just tight knit groups of nothing but good people. Well that is bullshit...sure maybe some people were nicer...but servers weren't one big happy family like you make it sound...there were still trolls...there were trolls back then as there are trolls now.

So please...stop with the lying bullshit vanilla zealots...

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    The thread wasn't asking for a comparison of WoW to other MMOs, it was asking what made classic better than current. And in this regard, the current game does not challenge you the same was that classic used to. I played it then, and I play it now. It's a different game.
    Yeah as if this thread ever stayed on topic. If I played Vanilla WoW today it wouldn't challenge me as it did 12 years ago because the game as evolved and so have the players.

Once again, the thread isn't asking for a Wow to other MMO comparison. And in comparing classic to current, classic DID challenge you in ways that current wow does not. Mostly related to levelling, world mob difficulty, agro ranges and mob packs, and so on.
    Once again this thread has changed topics many many times over and that happens when threads get like this. And those challenges in classic if presented today with official Blizzard Legacy realms wouldn't pose the same challenge as 12 years ago because of better addons, people knowing the content, knowing what classes are stronger in Vanilla and which specs are duds and so on. So 12 years ago those were challenges but they are not as big of a deal anymore.

Then you have parts of Vanilla wow that are NOT challenging when compared to current day, such as raiding and dungeons. Vanilla dungeons and raids had very few mechanics and only one difficulty. They wouldn't pose much of a threat to most of the players that play today.

I would say, "The player base."

Not so much that the players back then were better, so much as they simply had very different expectations going into playing WoW than people have since ~Wrath. WoW's been the very first MMORPG for literally millions of players, and the absolute vast majority of those weren't even playing for the first several years of WoW's existence. The ones who got in between 2004 and 2007 had "grown up" with a very different sort of online gaming culture. Anyone who'd played an MMORPG prior to WoW Classic hopped into WoW and had learned (sort of) different gaming social etiquette. Many would have experienced a much more punishing game in the past - lost inventory items/gear, lost experience from death, the chance to die repeatedly in the attempt to return to the corpse, a significantly less solo-friendly world. WoW was rather gentle in comparison, and as the years went by, that gentleness has been expected.

The game itself wasn't particularly better or worse, imo. I remember being upset about a variety of things in game, though the biggest issues I had were due solely to the behavior of other players (more selfish than I was used to at the time). It was different, and people had different expectations of it, in part because it was Blizzard's first MMORPG and so no one really knew what directions they might be going in.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

In the context of difficulty outside of raiding and m+, I believe it would challenge you - because the game required "thought" about how to approach mob packs. Or how to kill an elite. The game was simpler and had less depth, but ironically that is where the depth came from. You may only have one stupid badly pixeled elite mob standing in front of you .. but you needed to plan out how to use your cd's and when to use them or you'd get smoked. It didn't matter if you were a more evolved player, shit just hit harder back then. That "need to think" element is missing from today's game ( outside of instanced content ).
    You think it might challenge people and it could for the below average player but if we're talking about a person of average skill levels then I don't think Vanilla would pose that much of a threat and the threat it DID pose would get lessened over time and would never increase in challenge because gear and levels would surpass the content. Keep in mind Vanilla wow would be static, there is no evolution in the game where in retail the game has more content coming out that hasn't been seen before and could pose challenges.

Deleted
    What made it "better"? Maybe because pretty much everything was new.

The only people that truly want vanilla back are people that never experienced it. The leveling was awful, finding any sort of information about the game was literally impossible, people that were like 7 levels higher than you treated you like shit just because they were a higher level, and to tie it all together getting 40 people together for one raid when most people still had dialup wtf
    People like it because it's old making it new for them whereas people that wasted the hours of their lives to play back then understand what is was and generally dislike it.
    Fucking hipsters

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Except the bolded part is wrong. WoW wasn't as hard as other MMOs but it wasn't an easy game. It was as difficult as something like Morrowind.
    It was an easy game. It always was. WoW really didn't challenge players, even back then, because everything about it basically screamed 'casual'. Less penalties for death, easier and faster leveling, etc. Back then, if you heard "why don't you go play WoW instead", it meant that the other player was mocking your lack of skills in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

The thread wasn't asking for a comparison of WoW to other MMOs, it was asking what made classic better than current. And in this regard, the current game does not challenge you the same was that classic used to. I played it then, and I play it now. It's a different game.
    It's not about comparing it to other MMOs at the time, but to fix a misconception: to say that "Vanilla WoW wasn't afraid to challenge you" implies that Vanilla WoW was made with the intention of challenging the player, which is objectively wrong. Blizzard has developed WoW to be a more accessible and easier-to-play MMO than the rest. From day one. So, no. Vanilla WoW really wasn't there to challenge players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It was an easy game. It always was. WoW really didn't challenge players, even back then, because everything about it basically screamed 'casual'. Less penalties for death, easier and faster leveling, etc. Back then, if you heard "why don't you go play WoW instead", it meant that the other player was mocking your lack of skills in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not about comparing it to other MMOs at the time, but to fix a misconception: to say that "Vanilla WoW wasn't afraid to challenge you" implies that Vanilla WoW was made with the intention of challenging the player, which is objectively wrong. Blizzard has developed WoW to be a more accessible and easier-to-play MMO than the rest. From day one. So, no. Vanilla WoW really wasn't there to challenge players.
    Not really. It was an easier Everquest but it wasn't an easy game or are you going to tell me that leveling a warrior in Vanilla is easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Not really. It was an easier Everquest but it wasn't an easy game or are you going to tell me that leveling a warrior in Vanilla is easy?
    It wasn't an easy game compared to what? EQ? It was. Ultima Online? Wasn't as hard as that either. FFXI? Same thing.

What are you trying to say? What are you comparing it to? Other MMOs or what?

Current and classic are both shit. There, I solved your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkbonk100 View Post
    Current and classic are both shit. There, I solved your issues.
    Then why are you even here?