Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I thought all it took to get married was signing some paperwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Luperca View Post
    I've been with the same guy for 12 years, we haven't married for 1 reason, insurance. We live in the U.S. and our combined income would take mine away, leaving me no way to pay for my expensive meds. We are in that weird in-between.
    Sorry to hear. At least the dozen years proves how strong the relationship is.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    So they can afford to get married, but they can't afford to have an extravagant wedding ceremony. I don't see a reason to care.
    Seems this is one of the few topics here where almost everyone has the same oppinion.
    What a rare occasion!

It is indeed entertaining what kind of stuff is brought up as news. Funny stuff ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    I thought all it took to get married was signing some paperwork.
    Sign and pay any needed fees, then kiss your new spouse.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

My boyfriend and I have discussed it, we plan on simply signing the papers. What little money we do have is better put towards property or our investments.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    There's a whole lot of legal stuff that goes into the title.

Your Marital Rights

Marital rights can vary from state to state, however, most states recognize the following spousal rights:

ability to open joint bank accounts

ability to file joint federal and state tax returns

right to receive “marriage” or “family rate” on health, car and/or liability insurance

right to inherit spouse’s property upon death

right to sue for spouse’s wrongful death or loss of consortium, and

right to receive spouse’s Social Security, pension, worker’s compensation, or disability benefits.

http://family-law.lawyers.com/matrim...ed-person.html
    The fun thing about all that - it's achievable without marriage. Marriage is for lazy people.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Getting married implies having a wedding bud. The OP could only fit so much into the title.
    My parents married without having a wedding. Signed the papers then a small dinner in my grandfather's house for the closest family.

Most of us aren't living out in Rural middle of nowhere. We live in cities. There is a different culture and expectations to deal with.
    You created a culture that expects (demands?) you spend X number of dollars to show your love? That's not something I would brag about or want to be a part of. And seeing how the divorce rate is so high these days, it's obviously not something that works any better.

There are plenty of non-rural people who live in those big cities that can't afford those weddings and go the cheap route as well.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-01-15 at 08:12 PM.

Here's an idea... just get a minister to register... don't bother with the ceremonies and what not ?

lets be honest here... could normal not silly rich people EVER afford all that stuff? did people used to get married in their backyards in dresses passed down from mother to daughter? I'm not a millennial and I couldn't afford to get a wedding like that either. what's the point of something that ostentatious anyways?

P.S. both S.O and I were born in major cities, and up until few years ago - lived in NYC. we got married in NYC too. its not necessary. its pointless. best friend at a time god married in one of those larger weddings and holy mother of god WHY. his parents paid for it and it still wasn't anywhere near the costs in the article, but still... 2/3 of the people who showed up were parental friends from work who had nothing to do with either bride or groom. dress was about $600 but the process of finding it with her, made me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon. its nuts, its pointless and even bride and groom themselves were just glad to be done with that affair. but in her case = parents wanted all that nonsense and even still. why?
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-01-15 at 08:21 PM.

You don't need an expensive wedding to get married.

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the 400 euro for? A marriage certificate?
    it's the official registration etc
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    This is why I love making my own things, essentially.

My recent wedding would have easily been over 30k+ easily. However, it was only about 7k as I made most of the items involved in the wedding. My dress, the bridesmaid dresses, my husband's suit, the bouquet (which I actually kept, and occasionally hang it above my bed when I theme my bedroom red on occasion), basically every flower arrangement, all of the tapestries, and a large majority of the food (minus the cake, but I should have done that as well, as the person that I hired failed on it, miserably... both the wrong colors and the wrong flavor... I honestly wanted to sue the woman for her inability to get a wedding cake right, at all...), and much much more.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Do you really need a big expensive wedding? My wife and I paid about 250 for our wedding, been happily married for 4 years. We had a family friend who is a Reverend conduct it, with both our parents and some close friends at a local State Park. Then we all went out for dinner, which we ended up not needing to pay for.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    My boyfriend and I have discussed it, we plan on simply signing the papers. What little money we do have is better put towards property or our investments.
    Minor word of advice (feel free to ignore, obviously) - do have a little get together with the people you care about. I had basically the same plan as you, my parents talked my wife and I into having a little after-party, and I'm glad we did. This really doesn't need to be formal. I was surprised how much my friends appreciated being included and it seems like that's a pretty common sentiment. Just get some cupcakes or drinks or whatever, you won't regret it.

If you can manage to get the money needed for a wedding, why not save those funds to help invest in a house? One day vs. a sizable chunk towards a stable future. These people need to learn budgeting unless they're well-off and simply want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    This is why I love making my own things, essentially.

My recent wedding would have easily been over 30k+ easily. However, it was only about 7k as I made most of the items involved in the wedding. My dress, the bridesmaid dresses, my husband's suit, the bouquet (which I actually kept, and occasionally hang it above my bed when I theme my bedroom red on occasion), basically every flower arrangement, all of the tapestries, and a large majority of the food (minus the cake, but I should have done that as well, as the person that I hired failed on it, miserably... both the wrong colors and the wrong flavor... I honestly wanted to sue the woman for her inability to get a wedding cake right, at all...), and much much more.
    Also that's pretty badass.

If we were poor enough that we had to settle on 25c machine plastic rings I would still rather do that then just not marry out of some obsession of needing an extravagant ceremony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    How is this an issue?

Can't afford to have all of that? Then stop daydreaming and go for less. Are people really this shallow when it comes to weddings, that you can't do it if it's not something out of a Disney movie?
    It seems like a lot of individuals are unable to do so. They don't want to tie the knot unless they can make it into an extravagant event.

Only morons who think they need to spend that much can't afford it. My wedding was a pleasant autumn BBQ in my local state park. The only thing that costs money was the food and the justice of the peace fee for the ceremony.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...ts-27-000.html

Ouch! How are couples who are a few years removed from university supposed to afford this? While paying off student loans and providing for appropriate accomodation.

As usual, your title and article aren't in sync with each other.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.