Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's almost as if people on food stamps are real human beings that like snacks and sodas on occasion. And it's almost like unhealthy foods are actually cheaper than healthy ones. AMAZING.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Not at all. I've repeatedly advocated strong aid programs for the poor, so I wouldn't have anything to be guilty about. When it comes to education and self improvement, I have a ton of formal education and had the initiative to branch into a different career when I felt that I couldn't advance to where I wanted to in science. While my income would only be characterized as upper-middle class, I'm still making much more money now than I would have reasonably expected a few years ago.

So, no, I worked hard to better myself, make a fair bit of money, and I'm fine with paying a lot of tax dollars to provide aid for those that aren't as talented and fortunate as myself.
    I know you're OK with spending more money in taxes to help people out. You and I are actually in the same position with this even though we tend to butt heads from time to time about it. I thought you were taking what I said as a personal attack -- My apologies that I took it out of context.

The issue seems to lie with the people in income brackets below our own who seem to think that everyone can do what they did. You and I both understand that we're fortunate to land where we are and understand that even the people bellowing at those below them will probably never see the incomes you and I do. It was a combination of work, education, and luck -- and it's a hand that isn't going to be dealt out for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Zone View Post
    Yes, the *ahem* temporarily embarrassed millionaires are included.

And just in case the discussion is headed that way - I'm not arguing all of this due to some misguided idea of what our taxes should be used for. What I'm saying is that, in the long run, being on government assistance is all around a bad thing especially for the person receiving the assistance.
    The question is how do we fix the problem without raising taxes to compensate or increase wages? Even a mere mention of Universal Basic Income turns into some type of attack on the wealthy.
    Last edited by Captain N; 2017-01-15 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskayz View Post
    Food in the us is addictive shit loaded with sugar

Not surprising

But i guess what you want us to do is bash those people until they don't have any joy in life for their sin of being poor
    This. It's no surprise, even if people are poor they seek SOME sort of comfort. Sugar and fat = the easiest to come by as far as addiction goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    And it's almost like unhealthy foods are actually cheaper than healthy ones.
    I really don't know why people keep insisting this. I can walk across the street right now and buy a pound of (pre-seasoned!) pork chops for $1.78, a pound of rice is less than a dollar, and a pound of frozen broccoli is about a dollar. Cook it up, season it, and you've got a pretty decent meal for 2-4 people (depending on size/hunger) for under $4, which is literally the cost of a bag of Doritos. There are many similar variants - chicken thigh, pasta, Brussel sprouts, for example. Pretty much any meal that consists of meat, starch, and something green is basically decent and can consistently be cheaply made.

Are people that think decent food is expensive just completely incompetent at shopping? Ignorant? Lying? I legitimately can't tell.

There are all sorts of good arguments for why poor people buying what they want is fine, so I don't get why people have to repeat the worst argument over and over again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I know you're OK with spending more money in taxes to help people out. You and I are actually in the same position with this even though we tend to butt heads from time to time about it. I thought you were taking what I said as a personal attack -- My apologies that I took it out of context.

The issue seems to lie with the people in income brackets below our own who seem to think that everyone can do what they did. You and I both understand that we're fortunate to land where we are and understand that even the people bellowing at those below them will probably never see the incomes you and I do. It was a combination of work, education, and luck -- and it's a hand that isn't going to be dealt out for everyone.
    No worries, I'm snarky often enough that I can see why you would think that's how I was approaching it. My question actually wasn't intended to be loaded! I seriously just haven't noticed the same phenomenon. I'll watch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    "That is anecdotal, we can't use this statement for anything"
    If you don't want to take my word for it, that is your choice.

Look up Rob Greenfield if you want to know how to live healthy way cheaper as living unhealthy.

PS. He does it in the USA, so there you go.
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    It's almost as if people on food stamps are real human beings that like snacks and sodas on occasion. And it's almost like unhealthy foods are actually cheaper than healthy ones. AMAZING.
    Tap water costs next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    If you don't want to take my word for it, that is your choice.

Look up Rob Greenfield if you want to know how to live healthy way cheaper as living unhealthy.

PS. He does it in the USA, so there you go.
    No, I was being sarcastic. That is the answer MMO-C will reply with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    I've been on food stamps before and I purchased things like rice and eggs with it. Very nutritional but also very cheap. Families spending their food stamps on soda and junk food are not only poor but also uneducated. So often those two things go together. It's not so much a malicious scam on their part as it is them simply not knowing any better. If they were rich, they'd probably buy the same junk.
    ...Are you seriously calling me uneducated because I used to buy soda with food stamps? Oh boy. Someone just opened a can of worms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    (Tap) water also taste pretty bad.

What's weird is how many people think drinking tap water is like some sort of extreme deprivation. Almost everyone that's ever lived would fucking kill for the power to flip a switch and get clean, sterile water. Someone else suggested tea and was scolded for trying to ruin poor people's lives. Modern, wealthy societies are staggeringly spoiled when drinking tea is considered potentially catastrophic for well being.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its most likely free as people in poverty rent, and most renters pay for water & garbage (at least in california this is true)

Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    (Tap) water also taste pretty bad.
    Yea well so do some vegetables, but I still eat them.

What is the argument here? Life or taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    What? Vegetables are amazing. Seriously, just steam basically anything and it's great even without any seasoning of any kind.
    Not everyone shares your preferences.

Personally I'm impressed; only 20%? Way better than I could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    The question is how do we fix the problem without raising taxes to compensate or increase wages? Even a mere mention of Universal Basic Income turns into some type of attack on the wealthy.
    Touché.

Raising taxes would be disastrous, and I am not entirely sure of the implications that a minimum wage raise would have, so this leaves the reallocation of government funds, which would be spent to provide incentives for low-income earners to better themselves.

The most precious resource in an economy is the people, so right off the bat you can make a good argument that a strong safety net is a necessity. We would have to take a look at which areas of the governmental budget are not-as-important... :P
    Last edited by Hotmail; 2017-01-15 at 10:05 PM.

No, I was being sarcastic. That is the answer MMO-C will reply with.
    To late for my sarcasm meter ^^
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    The price is about the same as I pay up here... I'm just a fatty that enjoys eating :P
    I get some ramon sometimes too

Just sick of all the people who say eat it's so easy to eat healthy...people who will claim it costs just as much when that is a flat out lie. Especially going organic...costs a bunch more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    What? Vegetables are amazing. Seriously, just steam basically anything and it's great even without any seasoning of any kind.
    There are actually zero veggies cooked that I like.

I do like raw broccoli and carrots and celery.

Cook any of those and I hate them.

Edit: I take that back, peppers when grilled and seared are very good.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    There are actually zero veggies cooked that I like.

I do like raw broccoli and carrots and celery.

Cook any of those and I hate them.

Edit: I take that back, peppers when grilled and seared are very good.
    Nope, you were right the first time, peppers are fruit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Good one, compare a $200 scotch to a $1 soda......

Makes total sense.....
    It's almost as if lots and lots of soda bottles eventually add up to 200$

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    ...Are you seriously calling me uneducated because I used to buy soda with food stamps? Oh boy. Someone just opened a can of worms.
    If you don't know soda is terribly bad for you in every single way, then yes you're uneducated and need to do some research. A can of worms would be healthier for you than a bottle of soda. Or you could not care and drink it anyway because sugar is addicting and/or you want diabetes. Regardless, my point was that the argument "because it's cheap" holds no weight. You can get a dozen eggs in my region for 99 cents. That puts it cheaper than the average 2 liter bottle of soda. And it's also far more nutritious. Anyone buying soda with food stamps is doing it for other reasons than it being the best monetary use of their stamps.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb