10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    If you have a problem with the price: Don't buy one.

It's really that simple. I honestly don't think sales will be a big issue with this one there is already a LOT more buzz about it than the WiiU had.
    This is a ridiculous argument. So criticism isn't allowed? Why?

The price is fine if you look at the system for what it actually is: A beefy handheld system that can hook into a TV for a bigger screen/higher resolution.
    Nah. $300 for a gimmicky handheld is kinda a lot. I'd pay that for a console, but the portability to go from my bus ride's Pokémon grind to couch grind isn't worth an extra $200 bucks.

I can emulate most stuff in my interest circles on my phone and HTPC, and do already.

Not a lot of value for me at $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Nah. $300 for a gimmicky handheld is kinda a lot. I'd pay that for a console, but the portability to go from my bus ride's Pokémon grind to couch grind isn't worth an extra $200 bucks.

I can emulate most stuff in my interest circles on my phone and HTPC, and do already.

Not a lot of value for me at $300.
    For you, maybe. Personally I like the duo handheld/console idea so to me it's worth the price.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a problem with the price: Don't buy one.

It's really that simple. I honestly don't think sales will be a big issue with this one there is already a LOT more buzz about it than the WiiU had.
    It really is that simple for anyone who thinks it should be cheaper.

You're crazy however if you think it's a good thing for Nintendo if people start feeling like they're trying to rip them off.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It really is that simple for anyone who thinks it should be cheaper.

You're crazy however if you think it's a good thing for Nintendo if people start feeling like they're trying to rip them off.
    I dont think they are ripping people off with the console price.

I do think they are with their new online service.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    People fail to understand how huge portability that doesn't suck is. Plenty of people are willing to shell out $360 (Switch + Game) to play one of their favorite titles on the go. Hell, I'd easily spend $300+ to finally play SMRPG without an emulator (on my phone because that shit is whack) and not have to be at home, but that's just me praying that Nintendo comes to their senses and realizes they need to keep Wii/Wii-U Virtual Console libraries continuing on the Switch, or it will lose out on so much fucking potential. Seriously, it's not easy getting to play SNES and N64 games portable. Minus the few we have remade for the GBA-3DS, there's only a couple SNES games available for the N3DS VC.

I'd totally be fine with the Switch failing as a home console, as long as it nails the portability aspect. Not to mention with Nintendo finally going with a universal power port (USB-C), you can easily keep the thing going with power banks, so battery life is practically a non-existent issue to the educated. I feel like the Switch overall will likely fail in some aspects, but exceed expectations in others, and again, I'm sitting here hoping and praying my VC library will finally be allowed to be played on the go.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol what first party titles were even on the fucking thing? Besides SM3DW, Smash 4, and Mario Kart 8, there weren't really anything too huge for the system. Other first party titles that could have been amazing were made into garbage their fans don't want, and they didn't seem to want to support their own system to begin with.

Seriously, I'm having a hard time coming up with first party titles in my head because there were so few, and the majority of them were shit that could have been amazing (Color Splash and Mario Party 10... /sigh)
    Nintendo really dropped the ball with Star Fox Zero, could have been good but the controls completely and utterly fucked it. Not to mention no Metroid Prime and no new Zelda game within its first year or so pretty well killed it. Not to mention how short their big IPs were. SM3DW was both stupidly easy and incredibly short, I think I full cleared it in 3 days and there was no replayability in it. I had over 50 lives when I beat the game, and the ability that lets you fly through half of the level if you keep dying existed only for kiddies to be hand held through the game, rather than making it a fucking challenge like the old games.

For you, maybe. Personally I like the duo handheld/console idea so to me it's worth the price.
    That's what I said, for me. It's right in the post you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's what I said, for me. It's right in the post you quoted.
    I know, I was agreeing with you. It's on a person to person basis.

I find its price fine where it is. To me the bigger issue is their new online service. The whole not being able to play the games after one month thing and needing to use a smartphone to use the voice chat is a bigger deal than the initial cost of the system (since initial price is once and done...this is a monthly charge for a service!)

Seriously, Sony and MS let you KEEP the freebies so long as you stay subscribed and have had built-in voice since the original Xbox....

I personally think the price for the system is fine.

But the mandatory subscription service and 80$ controllers? Fuck that. HD rumble ain't worth 80 bucks. And a piece of plastic that literally does nothing? 90 bucks?

So if we are taking all this into account the tablet itself is worth about 125$
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I just linked you an article saying the game needed 2 million copies to break even. Where are you getting this 5 mil from?
    I didn't see it, sorry. Must've skimmed right over it.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    It is bad. We're not just talking about a dry launch month, we're talking about a dry launch YEAR. Mario is their only big holiday release and no third parties are jumping in to fill any gaps. Ironically, if software doesn't sell on the Switch, third parties will just end up convinced they were right all along and that the Switch is a waste of their time. I know a lot of talk in this thread is about how the Switch is rushed, but...well...What would you want Nintendo to do, delay it another year when the hardware would be even MORE outdated AND it would have competition from Scorpio? Start all over from R&D and wait another three years to release it? The problem isn't that it's rushed, it's that Nintendo Nintendoed the console from the get-go - they locked out third-parties until the last minute instead of including them from the beginning to get a good launch lineup (even if most of the games would have been ports), they used weaker hardware so that they could turn a profit on the console, and they're trying to push motion controls ten years later when people are already over it (and while VR is the new hot thing everyone talks about).
    You do raise some good points, points that have been repeated many times by now in this thread. I just cannot stop being excited about this console. Zelda, Splatoon and Mario in the same year? Those games are more valuable for me personally than anything Xbox or Playstation have currently. Though that's the problem many different people have noted: if you are not a huge fan of those games the launch year seems dry so far.

Though I will say this: Im SOO glad they keep developing their motion controls. I much prefer that over yet another VR focused company. Metriod prime, Goldeneye, Splatoon and so forth showed that motion control can work amazing. Yet it felt underutilized and mostly restricted to weird party games. I hope future Switch games (in paticular shooters) will use motion controls more.

I find its price fine where it is. To me the bigger issue is their new online service. The whole not being able to play the games after one month thing and needing to use a smartphone to use the voice chat is a bigger deal than the initial cost of the system (since initial price is once and done...this is a monthly charge for a service!)

Seriously, Sony and MS let you KEEP the freebies so long as you stay subscribed and have had built-in voice since the original Xbox....
    Your wording seem to suggest I was making a blanket statement for everyone. I apologize if I misread your intent.

The online service doesn't have any value for me really. I don't play console games online. So as long as I am able to patch/update a game I purchased I am satisfied with the online capabilities of nearly all consoles.

My interest in Nintendo's products is largely isolated to Pokémon at this point. I don't enjoy platform, action, adventure, PVP or shooter based games.

So this all comes down as to whether or not I am willing to spend couple of hundred bucks on a system to play the latest Pokémon. Or continue playing fan-made ROMS on my phone, natch.

Size comparisons between the Switch, Wii U, and N3DS XL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think that will sit nicely in my living room, think I'll get a second hand one in a few years.

$400 (CDN) before tax's or games had me worried, luckily it's all sold out everywhere with no one knowing when to expect more.

Quote Originally Posted by helic View Post
    $400 (CDN) before tax's or games had me worried, luckily it's all sold out everywhere with no one knowing when to expect more.
    Pretty sure Nintendo is giving like 80% of their stock to gamestop in NA seeing as it's still available there online but no where else.

My boyfriend's two favorite franchise are Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors. He nearly swooned when the Fire Emblem Warriors reveal was shown. That being said, we won't be shelling out for a switch until that game is release. I'm waiting for more news on the Pokemon title myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    My boyfriend's two favorite franchise are Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors. He nearly swooned when the Fire Emblem Warriors reveal was shown. That being said, we won't be shelling out for a switch until that game is release. I'm waiting for more news on the Pokemon title myself.
    Literally people If ya'll want a switch wait til Christmas

It will be on sale or bundled, or both guaranteed and they will actually have them in stock and some decent games will be out by then.

There is no reason to get it now unless you don't have a wiiU for zelda

portable console is nice but with no games there is no point
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Chelly

From someone who wasn't interested in a new Nintendo console at all, and then reading about all this new information coming out the past week - it just looks like a giant clusterfuck. Like the original idea for Xbox One.
    The voice chat thing is just stupid as hell.

Deleted
    I have tried to imagine situations where the gimmick of Switch is handy but i can't seem to find it.
    I can only imagine 2 scenarios where Switch can be cool.

1-On travels or vacations
    2-Bringing the console to a friends house

In any other scenario i just imagine myself being robbed or assaulted in the midle of the street.