Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    "be respectful, responsible and confident"

WARBHBHBLLGLGHL MISOGYNY

Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    How he carries himself and his posture would both improve in this situation by weight training. What are you on about?
    Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, english is not my native language. I didn't necessarily refer to the physical part of it, more like general attitude and charm, which comes from within and not from his muscles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selinde View Post
    Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, english is not my native language. I didn't necessarily refer to the physical part of it, more like general attitude and charm, which comes from within and not from his muscles.
    Both are improved. I don't like that I have to drive this so far, but if you aren't a man and you've never felt just solid (being a feeling you can easily adopt this into a mindset from a regular bodily sensation) you really can't understand the point.

Both are improved. I don't like that I have to drive this so far, but if you aren't a man and you've never felt just solid (being a feeling you can easily adopt this into a mindset from a regular bodily sensation) you really can't understand the point.
    I'm afraid I can't understand your point if I have to be a man to do it, because I'm a woman. I can only tell you about my own personal experiences and you're free to believe them or not (anecdotal evidence and all). I have met alteast 3 guys in my life who were not physically fit (they were slightly overweight), did not possess handsome faces by majority standards, 2 had mild acne. I have seen with my own eyes how these men could and did score with *almost* any woman they wanted to, regardless of her beauty, me included. They were promiscuous and women just seemed to fall for them ALL because the the self-confidence they manifested when carrying themselves. Likewise I have seen what would be considered handsome men having little to no partners in their lifetime or seeming unlucky with women all because they were insecure.

Yeah maybe one's self-confidence would improve if they had a fit body and maybe it would magically make one charming (but I have my doubts about this one), but it isn't needed at all.

I'll try to explain myself. Generalized advice about improving yourself is good, because the goal is clear and the way to accomplish that goal is sureproof. Reading will improve your cognitive ability and knowledge, being fit will improve your health.

Dating advice in my opinion should not be generalized because there exists such a variety of preferences and taste, that what is true and works for one person won't be necessarily true for another one. I'm only talking about preferences and taste here, if we're talking about respectful behavior or effective communication skills then it's different because it's not about "attracting partners" but more like how to communicate efficently and interact with other human beings. Of course we should advice young people on how to be successful human beings, I just don't think that "be feminine and lady-like, have a sense of humor, keep your insecurity to yourself, don't comment about his driving" should be part of the indoctrination on how to attract partners

I don't know if you saw my first post in this thread, I said that in my opinion both lists should have read "Be respectful, don't expect anything, relax and be yourself" and possibly more, but I would give the same suggestions on how to be a good human to everyone.
    I guess we just kind of disagree about how generalizable dating advice is. That's basically fine, I'm cool with leaving that at that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    That's definitely overreacting but my biggest issue is that any high school course in general has "Homework" that requires the student to go on a date. It's also not overly surprising that in a state like Utah it's assumed that girls will date guys and vise versa.
    Better than letting kids become socially inept hermits who live in their parents basement.

I'd love to know how you can go on a date for $5 though, at best that gets you two small ice cream cones at Dairy Queen around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Better than letting kids become socially inept hermits who live in their parents basement.

I'd love to know how you can go on a date for $5 though, at best that gets you two small ice cream cones at Dairy Queen around here.
    People are saying the 5$ might be shopped in. I don't really see what the fuss is about but I rarely do with these issues.

Deleted
    I'm afraid I can't understand your point if I have to be a man to do it, because I'm a woman. I can only tell you about my own personal experiences and you're free to believe them or not (anecdotal evidence and all). I have met alteast 3 guys in my life who were not physically fit (they were slightly overweight), did not possess handsome faces by majority standards, 2 had mild acne. I have seen with my own eyes how these men could and did score with *almost* any woman they wanted to, regardless of her beauty, me included. They were promiscuous and women just seemed to fall for them ALL because the the self-confidence they manifested when carrying themselves. Likewise I have seen what would be considered handsome men having little to no partners in their lifetime or seeming unlucky with women all because they were insecure.

Yeah maybe one's self-confidence would improve if they had a fit body and maybe it would magically make one charming (but I have my doubts about this one), but it isn't needed at all.
    Yes, I can see that you're a woman from the way you write. Polarizations.

We were discussing what would help develop such mentalities. They are not requirements, but they are something that [helps for a large majority of men] is the argument here, if you dig me.

Yes, I can see that you're a woman from the way you write. Polarizations.

We were discussing what would help develop such mentalities. They are not requirements, but they are something that [helps for a large majority of men] is the argument here, if you dig me.
    I can understand your point, I guess we're only disagreeing about the reason why one should start lifting weights, i.e. to improve self-esteem and increase confidence is fine, to try and appeal to women taste is less fine, in my book, because it may be too generic and the woman you'd like is not into that. In the end if you spend time working out you'll probably attract girls that are into the same thing, so it's a benefit to both of them if the interest in it is genuine and done for self-fulfillment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I guess we just kind of disagree about how generalizable dating advice is. That's basically fine, I'm cool with leaving that at that.
    I'm cool with that too.

Deleted
    I can understand your point, I guess we're only disagreeing about the reason why one should start lifting weights, i.e. to improve self-esteem and increase confidence is fine, to try and appeal to women taste is less fine, in my book, because it may be too generic and the woman you'd like is not into that. In the end if you spend time working out you'll probably attract girls that are into the same thing, so it's a benefit to both of them if the interest in it is genuine and done for self-fulfillment.

I'm cool with that too.
    In the end most of the griping about suggesting men to work out boils down to "not everyone specifically likes it!".

The funny thing is at a rough estimation 98% of women are at least FINE with their partner being fit, though. What would there be bad about suggesting that men work out? It works.

7+ Year Old Account
    God forbid a woman acts feminine and a man acts masculine.

The horror....

What will we do with a man acting like a man and a woman acting like a woman?

Do we not want to raise more obese fedora wearing ze's with neon colored hair who will likely die alone?

In the end most of the griping about suggesting men to work out boils down to "not everyone specifically likes it!".

The funny thing is at a rough estimation 98% of women are at least FINE with their partner being fit, though. What would there be bad about suggesting that men work out? It works.
    I think this conversation has reached a point where it's kind of losing the original meaning. We're now basically saying the same thing, even though one may as well just suggest "work on improving your self-confidence". It's fine to suggest someone to work out if the goal is to improve their self-confidence. What I still believe in is that no one should feel like they "have to" change themselves to attract others, they should change themselves only if they are not comfortable in their own skin.
    Even if one is ugly, fat, and so on there will always be some people that are attracted to certain things in that person. If one were to give someone a suggestion on how to improve themselves or how to treat others everyone should get the same advice and it should not be based on their gender, imo.
    If a person truly is "repulsive" to everyone it basically comes down to a lack of social skills or basic grooming skills and personal hygene, not because they don't have a nice body or wear this or that, talk about this or that topic during a date and so on, are lady-like or androgynous or masculine or effeminate. That is my stance on this matter.
    Last edited by Selinde; 2017-01-16 at 02:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of us guys like crew-cuts and combat boots. Respect their right to choose.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Homework" that requires the student to go on a date. It's also not overly surprising that in a state like Utah it's assumed that girls will date guys and vise versa.
    from a class that has something to do with finance...........dates cost money

- - - Updated - - -

It's also not overly surprising that in a state like Utah it's assumed that girls will date guys and vise versa.
    it shouldn't be surprising anywhere
    Its the most common setting.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"