Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You're probably just as likely to be harassed at the gym. Or just walking down the street.

Harassed while running alone seems kinda unnecessarily specific.
    Its clearly just fearmongering bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Its clearly just fearmongering bullshit.
    It's not. As a runner, I see women being yelled at and harassed much more while they are running beside the road than in the gym or anywhere else. Dumb people believe that someone running, who is likely wearing running clothes (typically tight fitting), is fair game to be yelled and cat called at. I've worked in a gym during college, girls get looks and occasionally guys try to talk to them. While they run on streets, they get "Hey bitch" "Get in, baby!", they get things thrown at them, they get blocked on sidewalks, etc. But ya know, just fear mongering because you've never experienced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    It's not. As a runner, I see women being yelled at and harassed much more while they are running beside the road than in the gym or anywhere else. Dumb people believe that someone running, who is likely wearing running clothes (typically tight fitting), is fair game to be yelled and cat called at. I've worked in a gym during college, girls get looks and occasionally guys try to talk to them. While they run on streets, they get "Hey bitch" "Get in, baby!", they get things thrown at them, they get blocked on sidewalks, etc. But ya know, just fear mongering because you've never experienced it.
    Or, ya know, its a terrible plague because you've seen it sometimes. I guess my anecdotes counter yours and they cross each other out.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I certainly don't disparage the problem of harassment

"One in three have been harassed" is not the same as "One in three are being harassed"

The difference is, of 700 women, 233 of them have been harassed at some point at least once. Over 100 runs each, thats 'at least 233' incidents.

The other way, says that over 100 runs, would indicate 23,000 incidents at least. Very different numbers.

I can't tell if it's just poor posting grammar, or if this is a tennis ace spin.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    "had faced some form of harassment" - that's the problem. Which form? Some women will feel harassed when you ask her to move off a ski run track because she moves way slower than ski runner. Other will feel harassed when white cis male asshole will *gasp* will overtake her at a track and she will have to smell his sweat. You know, usual thing with these surveys - they are shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Or, ya know, its a terrible plague because you've seen it sometimes. I guess my anecdotes counter yours and they cross each other out.
    I've not seen it sometimes. I've seen it many times. It's a very common problem in the running communities. It's widely reported on even in college fitness educator courses because it is an active deterrent for women who want to run. But yeah, anecdotes.

This article isn't the greatest in the wording it uses, but to act like this isn't a real problem is just ignorant.

Only? That's weird. Depending on your definition of harassment, I get harassed while running a lot. Mostly it depends what town you're in. People yell a lot of stupid shit at you from cars though.

I've not seen it sometimes. I've seen it many times. It's a very common problem in the running communities. It's widely reported on even in college fitness educator courses because it is an active deterrent for women who want to run. But yeah, anecdotes.

This article isn't the greatest in the wording it uses, but to act like this isn't a real problem is just ignorant.
    Yup, anecdotes. Because you main argument is "I've seen it happen!" And so have I. Its happened to me, and I've seen it happen to women. But that doesn't make it as terrible as this article makes it out to be. I've been harassed while out for a run. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be this paranoid and act like stepping foot outside and going for a run has a high chance to ever be dangerous. You're probably more likely to have a tree branch fall on you, or be hit by a car, or slip and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You're probably just as likely to be harassed at the gym. Or just walking down the street.

Harassed while running alone seems kinda unnecessarily specific.
    I'd be surprised. Obviously I can't speak to the female part (has it's own specific form of harassments), but as a male, no one ever says anything to me in a gym, yet I get all sorts of stupid shit yelled at me while running, especially in some cities. Nonetheless, it's still better than the people that are enthusiastic about fucking with cyclists. Yelling at people sucks, but buzzing cyclists is about a trillion times worse.

For whatever reason, cardio sports are a target for dumpy fucks in pickups.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, anecdotes. Because you main argument is "I've seen it happen!" And so have I. Its happened to me, and I've seen it happen to women. But that doesn't make it as terrible as this article makes it out to be. I've been harassed while out for a run. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be this paranoid and act like stepping foot outside and going for a run has a high chance to ever be dangerous. You're probably more likely to have a tree branch fall on you, or be hit by a car, or slip and fall.
    The bolded one is the scary one. Shit happens in general, but this particular form of shit happens is the one that's apt to wind up with you hurt seriously. Falling down can hurt pretty bad too, especially if you're on a bike, but cars are what's really scary. The number of people that aren't real interested in stop signs is pretty bad.

My argument isn't that I saw it happen. My argument is that it's an incredibly widespread problem that is known throughout the fitness world. Women get harassed while running outside a lot. As a male, I'm more likely to be run off the road or have water thrown at me (both have happened to me many times), a woman is more likely to be yelled at and objectified.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Being anxious about running alone early in the morning or late at night is normal for anyone. Has nothing to do with being a woman.
    Nah. There's a legitimate difference here. Women have valid reason to be more concerned than men on this front. Men don't get attacked on paths (and raped) with anywhere near the frequency that women do. As a decently fast guy, I have very little to worry about even in bad neighborhoods at night. Women don't really have the same luxury. Not a huge deal, but it's really not the same.

being called a whore, while rude is not really harassment less it continued imo.. as for the rest idk, its not "Right" but also hard to really ignore. Fact is if you are attractive people will honk/yell/other. If they follow you, or do it over and over it crosses into harassment.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

My argument isn't that I saw it happen. My argument is that it's an incredibly widespread problem that is known throughout the fitness world. Women get harassed while running outside a lot. As a male, I'm more likely to be run off the road or have water thrown at me (both have happened to me many times), a woman is more likely to be yelled at and objectified.
    I apologize. That is your argument. And your proof is that you've seen it. There ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd be surprised. Obviously I can't speak to the female part (has it's own specific form of harassments), but as a male, no one ever says anything to me in a gym, yet I get all sorts of stupid shit yelled at me while running, especially in some cities. Nonetheless, it's still better than the people that are enthusiastic about fucking with cyclists. Yelling at people sucks, but buzzing cyclists is about a trillion times worse.

For whatever reason, cardio sports are a target for dumpy fucks in pickups.

- - - Updated - - -

The bolded one is the scary one. Shit happens in general, but this particular form of shit happens is the one that's apt to wind up with you hurt seriously. Falling down can hurt pretty bad too, especially if you're on a bike, but cars are what's really scary. The number of people that aren't real interested in stop signs is pretty bad.
    In my town, buzzing runners is pretty common too. I've had to jump into streams and over guardrails a lot because people like to mess with runners.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I wouldn't think so. Probably creepy though.
    Hey, woa, when I'm looking down its to watch their feet so I can keep the same space. Nothing creepy about that.

I apologize. That is your argument. And your proof is that you've seen it. There ya go.
    No. My proof is that the entire fitness community considers it a problem. Women are taught to partner up when running because of this. Why are you so disinterested in admitting that it's a real problem? Do you do this and just consider it playing around or flirting? That's the only reason I can imagine a person dismissing the issue like you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, people you live in a some sort of a backwards world you if get harassed for doing sports. Also - there is a solution, if this problem is so wide-spread in your communities, create a public runs, like Parkrun does. Boom, problem solved. No need to cry and circlejerk it anymore
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    How is that relevant? Are you saying it's okay to harass a girl if she looks like that?
    That's 100% what he is saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Hey, woa, when I'm looking down its to watch their feet so I can keep the same space. Nothing creepy about that.
    Looking down is bad running technique

7+ Year Old Account
    Which is why you'll never have a girl respect you.

My girlfriend used to run alone, until she came back crying because some guys stopped their car, got out and harassed her. We live in a small town, she described them, I identified them and had my buddy at the police department give them a visit. Now, I run with her if she runs outside. If she runs on a treadmill, I still like to be there, but it's much safer there.
    you're a joke, people dont yell at fat girls