Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Iowa Congressman Steven King Abortion Bill

Iowa Congressman Steven King Abortion Bill

"Jan 12, 2017

Press Release

Washington, D.C. – Congressman Steve King released the following statement after introducing “The Heartbeat Bill,” that would require physicians to detect the heartbeat and prohibit the abortion of a baby with a beating heart:

“Since Roe v. Wade was unconstitutionally decided in 1973, nearly 60 million innocent babies' lives have been ended by the abortion industry, all with a rubber stamp by the federal government,” said King. “Human life, beginning at the moment of conception, is sacred in all of its forms and today, I introduced a bill that will protect the lives of voiceless innocents.

My legislation will require all physicians, before conducting an abortion, to detect the heartbeat of the unborn child. If a heartbeat is detected, the baby is protected.

America was founded on the concept that our rights come from God. All human persons have a right to life. How then could we confer that those rights allow the killing of a baby? I believe our most important responsibility that God has bestowed upon us is to protect innocent human life, and I will continue to dedicate my life to that responsibility.”

Why are people doing this?

Why do they think they have any authority over what may or may not remain inside a woman's body?

I am so very angry right now, I want to do really bad things to people that want to do this to women.

Poor Iowan women

7+ Year Old Account
    He's my congressman. I see nothing wrong with the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrryr View Post
    Poor Iowan women
    No no, this is a press release stating he is taking this to Congress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drew79 View Post
    WHY do you think you have any authority over what I (and ALL women) remove from my (their) body?

Help me not be angry at you right now.

Because I am extremely angry right now at everyone who thinks this.

EXTREMELY.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-01-16 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrryr View Post
    Poor Iowan women
    He is trying to do this as a federal bill. Meaning it would hit every state.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you going to enjoy the raise in taxes to pay for all of the unwanted children? No? Then you obviously do see something wrong with the bill. Steve King is a fucking moron.

Deleted
    So that is what, 6-7 weeks after conception?

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    WHY do you think you have any authority over what I remove from my body? Help me not be angry at you right now.
    Medical procedures are regulated. Last I checked, it would also be considered illegal if you wanted to seppuku yourself.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

You don't see a problem with

America was founded on the concept that our rights come from God

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Medical procedures are regulated. Last I checked, it would also be considered illegal if you wanted to seppuku yourself.
    Who the fuck are you going to charge once I commit suicide? I am talking about laws that matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Don't know about Drew, but I fucking do.

Take your god and leave him in your church.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course not. American is a Christian nation, regardless of what those sinful atheists say with their facts and citations.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The fact that people do not is worrisome.

Who the fuck are you going to charge once I do it? I am talking about laws that matter.
    This law applies to the doctors doing the procedure doesn't it? I do agree that the government shouldn't be making decisions as to what people do with their body, but the only way to fix that would be almost complete deregulation. Such a law couldn't exist if the government wasn't already telling you what you can and can't do with your body, its the same as drug laws.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

This law applies to the doctors doing the procedure doesn't it? I do agree that the government shouldn't be making decisions as to what people do with their body, but the only way to fix that would be almost complete deregulation. Such a law couldn't exist if the government wasn't already telling you what you can and can't do with your body, its the same as drug laws.
    There are options for a woman to abort without the help of any doctors.

There is nothing in this press release about making it only illegal to seek an abortion via a doctor.

And that does NOT answer my question as to WHY anyone thinks they have any authority over what a woman may or may not remove from her own body.

Yeah so better have the government almost outlaw it in entirely. Makes sense.

Trolls aside, this is obviously just a bill that's trying to get purposefully challenged to Trump's new Supreme Court. Trump is an anti-choicer's wet dream. He's going to appoint some right-wing nutcase and hope they can overturn or introduce a bunch of shit by 5-4 votes.

“Since Roe v. Wade was unconstitutionally decided in 1973, nearly 60 million innocent babies' lives have been ended by the abortion industry, all with a rubber stamp by the federal government,” said King. “Human life, beginning at the moment of conception, is sacred in all of its forms and today, I introduced a bill that will protect the lives of voiceless innocents.
    Um, isn't one of the roles of the Supreme Court Of The United States is to help determine what is and what is not unconstitutional? As in, isn't SCOTUS there to prevent legislative overreach by Congress? If so, it's fairly erroneous to claim that it was "unconstitutionally" decided.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately for American liberals who chose to not vote for Clinton as a protest for her campaign's treatment of Sanders, this is basically only baby steps for what a Republican congress/presidency putting a dominant conservative Supreme Court into power will allow. This is basically the tip of the iceberg for the legally empowered resurgence of social conservatism.

I don't think it's law, it's a proposal for a law. It's like an idea. Now other legislators will have to vote on it and the governor has to sign it.

There are all kinds of proposals that never become law.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Iran was founded on the concept that our rights come from God.
    Damn, Muslim extremists at it again. : / Oh right...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    So that is what, 6-7 weeks after conception?
    About six weeks on average, yes. Or just a bit after a woman will wonder why she missed her period and might let it ride and oh so easily be too late by the time she realizes she's pregnant as tests aren't all that reliable prior to 4 weeks in the first place. A 1-2 week window is atrociously short.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    He is trying to do this as a federal bill. Meaning it would hit every state.
    Oh perfect, I was paying attention. S'what I get for reading at 6:30 in the morning.