Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    long as its worded correctly for protesters, i can get behind this. Blocking a road should be looked as disturbing the peace and detained as such already.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    My overly conservative co-worker was crowing about how the military should shoot people coming across the border, and when I pointed out that soldiers don't like killing unarmed people, women and children he maintained that it didn't matter. So I handed him my pistol (I have a concealed weapon permit) and told him to prove it, go shoot a Latino woman or child. He spun around and fumed silently, an hour later he said he would at least shoot at their feet. Again I offered him my gun and told him to prove it. "Well I wouldn't do it myself but soldiers could do it." And I told him that no one wants to shoot anyone they don't have to and anyone who says they would are either psychopaths with no understanding of right or wrong or just very loud cowards who hope someone else will do it for them."
    Thats odd, we now have a multi-billion dollar industry that involves people sitting at drone control stations murdering people they don't know in the middle of deserts, do you think if you sat your friend down at a drone console and told him he is playing call of duty, he would be so hesitant to commit murder?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Thats odd, we now have a multi-billion dollar industry that involves people sitting at drone control stations murdering people they don't know in the middle of deserts, do you think if you sat your friend down at a drone console and told him he is playing call of duty, he would be so hesitant to commit murder?
    It's a hypothetical so it wouldn't matter too much.

P.S. I don't support our current Droning programs.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    This part's dangerous, because there's a strong difference between physically doing the act of killing someone - looking at them without a screen is much stronger than looking at them through a screen.

You wouldn't kill someone unless absolutely necessary when in person. Likewise, for decades, soldiers couldn't shoot other soldiers willfully. Most just shot blindly and only a very small percentage shot to kill.

Through a screen, with the use of a drone, for instance, you're no longer the killer. The drone's the killer. You don't know him. The screen don't allow him to make eye contact, which is tremendously dangerous.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Don't stand in the road and you won't die, sound simple enough.

Considering there is a high incidence of PTSD among US drone pilots and the army has trouble finding recruits in that domain, i'd say yes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Then get out of my way, I say to them. Protest is all very well, so do it on the sidewalk, or in a public park, or a march ( with permit) down the street. But I will most certainly not be prevented from using the public roads (in the manner they were intended to be used) that my taxes pay for by a bunch of aholes.
    I don't agree with protests in the street. I also am firm that killing people because they are protesting in the streets is a horrifying violation of human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's a hypothetical so it wouldn't matter too much.

P.S. I don't support our current Droning programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    This part's dangerous, because there's a strong difference between physically doing the act of killing someone - looking at them without a screen is much stronger than looking at them through a screen.

You wouldn't kill someone unless absolutely necessary when in person. Likewise, for decades, soldiers couldn't shoot other soldiers willfully. Most just shot blindly and only a very small percentage shot to kill.

Through a screen, with the use of a drone, for instance, you're no longer the killer. The drone's the killer. You don't know him. The screen don't allow him to make eye contact, which is tremendously dangerous.
    I think the ultimate evolution of drone warfare will become similar to how firing squads once worked in this country where most of the squad had fake rounds and the real rounds were randomly distributed so nobody knew for sure if they were the person who actually did the killing. Drone pilots will essentially run video game like simulations that are identical to real missions, with real missions being randomly assigned without the pilots actually knowing that on that particular mission they are killing people. Such a program would pretty much remove the psychological burden of killing, and perhaps the only improvement over this will be fully automated hunter killers.

I don't think people can be so cavalier about assuming that in the very near future we won't see a massive expansion of programs like this.

Also, as far as the 'running over protesters' law goes, I wonder how automated cars will play into this.
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't agree with protests in the street. I also am firm that killing people because they are protesting in the streets is a horrifying violation of human rights.
    I don't think the implication is that people are going to kill them because they are protesting, I think many are taking the position that
    1. Protesters stopping and surrounding your car can be a grave threat to your person
    2. People blocking traffic are putting themselves at danger

Also, we can't forget the case that happened in New York City:

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Those permits mean the world of difference, though.
    Didn't read anything about permits in that text, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    If the Burglar was already at your door for the door to be stopping them, the burglars were already trespassing so it's self defense. (one really dumb comparison deserves another)

*now if we can just get them to put up a bill to puts a bounty on them, it'd be all good (so to pay the any damage to the car)
    There are doors right at the border of properties, what about those?

- - - Updated - - -

1. Protesters stopping and surrounding your car can be a grave threat to your person
    That is what self defense laws are for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    That'd be amazing to have elsewhere in the world.

Nothing more rage-inducing than self righteous 'protestors' blocking roads for reasons completely unrelated to most of the people who use said road. If they feel endangered they won't block the road.

Are you people truly not reading anything about this law? There's more to it than the two quotes listed in the article.

It's not a law designed to give people a license to kill or all the other moronic things listed. It's a law that helps protect people from being punished when they are not at fault. Have you never, in all the combined years of not almost come close to hitting somebody because they were obstructing the roadways, particularly at night? Please get off your high horses and think.
    and then he cupped my balls...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Your right, it's about bloody time we were legally permitted to kill those who inconvenience us.
    You don't have to kill them. Just permanently cripple them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    There are doors right at the border of properties, what about those?
    door is still on your property, even if by a fraction of a hair (but most of the time it's at least far enough for the door handle) so as soon as they get near enough for the door for you to be stopped by it, it's still trespassing so it's still moronic to say the door is assaulting them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter View Post
    Are you people truly not reading anything about this law? There's more to it than the two quotes listed in the article.

It's not a law designed to give people a license to kill or all the other moronic things listed. It's a law that helps protect people from being punished when they are not at fault. Have you never, in all the combined years of not almost come close to hitting somebody because they were obstructing the roadways, particularly at night? Please get off your high horses and think.
    The only truly scary thing about this law is the possibility of someone with the same amount of intelligence as those sovereign citizen folks thinking this will let them drive a car through a bunch of people and kill them, and then try to say "well they were blocking the road so I could do what I wanted!" to defend himself in court. The rest is just mildly concerning for how far a lawyer could carry this, to the point of making vehicular manslaughter essentially a non existent crime by no longer making it possible to prosecute blatant negligence outside of a very subjective trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The only truly scary thing about this law is the possibility of someone with the same amount of intelligence as those sovereign citizen folks thinking this will let them drive a car through a bunch of people and kill them, and then try to say "well they were blocking the road so I could do what I wanted!" to defend himself in court. The rest is just mildly concerning for how far a lawyer could carry this, to the point of making vehicular manslaughter essentially a non existent crime by no longer making it possible to prosecute blatant negligence outside of a very subjective trial.
    as long as they word it so people that are permitted to be on the road, emergency\road workers, permit holders etc are outlined as not covered by this law and it's made VERY aware they are not covered, I'm good with that. *IMO if you're jaywalking and you get ran over it should be 100% the jaywalkers fault (and its not always which I think is bull), it's too bad but I don't think the driver should be at any fault.

How is this, even a concern? There is only like a couple hundred people who live in North Dakota. And when did they call them "roads". I thought they were called "trails" for snowmobiles

Lol @ all the keyboard warriors acting like they are badasses calling for people to be murdered because they don't like how they protest. Keep them coming, you guys are hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I also don't think people are actually considering the full extent of this. Because it doesn't deny those protestors the right to self-defense.

If they see you coming, and you're not moving to avoid them, you're attacking them with violent intent. They're fully justified in drawing a sidearm and defending themselves from that assault.

This isn't swinging everything in favor of the driver, it's just creating a Mad Max situation on the roads. If there were some kind of upper bonds, like "if the vehicle is traveling less than 5mph" or something, so you could slowly roll through the protest without legal consequence, fine, but this just seems like it'll flare things up in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Didn't read anything about permits in that text, though.
    That's because the text as was shown here is bullshit. As far as legal texts go, you can't go much worse than what they propose.

Here's my defense: "I didn't intent to kill him. I merely wanted to shove him gently aside, honest!" and I'm scot free. This goes btw for anyone who dares to show me the finger while happening to be on the street. So any Jaywalker that I honk that shows me a typical American reaction gets "unintentionally" killed.

Well, if I was bloodthirsty, that is. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.