Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailswipe View Post
    It had nothing to do with religion, watch the video in the OP.
    Not sure if you're serious or american.

The state should pay for abortion in these cases, like it does in every civilised country. Also, only a religious nut would call an abortion elective surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    Not sure if you're serious or american.

The state should pay for abortion in these cases, like it does in every civilised country. Also, only a religious nut would call an abortion elective surgery.
    Well, I'm a european atheist and here to prove you wrong. At least on the religous part. The other one would depend on what she earnsand how much money she has saved, if she can't affort it the state would jump in, but only then, she'd still have to pay for it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabraham View Post
    The state does have to pay for the delivery of the child but it will only pay for the care of the child up until the child is either adopted or returns to his/her mother. Since the latter is unlikely hopefully the child is adopted into a good family instead of being bounced around the foster system until he/she turns 18. In which case yeah the state will be paying for the entirety of the child's youth life.
    Sure, I'm simply saying that since they are paying one bill or the other (abortion or child care), they have the right to decide. I'm very pro-choice and believe people have the right to do what they will to their own body, but not at someone else's expense. In the end, I'm siding with the state unless they are disallowing her to pay for her own abortion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Yeah, murder is a perfectly acceptable alternative.
    Feel free to call it what you want, no one should be forced to undergo procedures they don't want nor lend their body for others. Even for close family.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Maybe prisoners shouldn't be allowed to have sex then this wouldn't be a problem ever?
    Are they even allowed to have sex (outside of conjugal visit)? Allowed or not, the lady is pregnant.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    The problem with this is they disallowed a law-abiding citizen from getting an abortion. That's it. HUGE problem with that.

You forgot the /s tag.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Smells like someone trying to milk the public. All she had to do was pay for it herself, but she either couldn't or didn't want to.
    So all she had to do was either magic money out of nowhere or be independently wealthy.

Or are you missing the little detail that when someone is in an American jail, they are unable to work and acquire money?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    It saddens me that this is discussed in 2017. You cannot deny basic health procedures to women just because you do not want to pay for the transportation and guards.
    An abortion is not a "basic health procedure" it's an elective procedure if carrying the child to term is not harmful to the mother or the child. Besides that, she's incarcerated, so she's lost many rights and that's not even what this is about. She's suing because the state refused to pay for the abortion, not because they wouldn't let her have one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So all she had to do was either magic money out of nowhere or be independently wealthy.

Or are you missing the little detail that when someone is in an American jail, they are unable to work and acquire money?
    She probably should have thought about this before having, what I assume was, unprotected sex. Because from the story, this wasn't a rape case, so getting pregnant was her fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    SUSPICION of murder. Not CONVICTION. She did not just WAIT it out, she was in JAIL trying to get the money together for her BOND and it took her 6mos to get enough to get out of JAIL to go get an abortion, by which time it was ILLEGAL to do so.
    Excuse me while I don't give a shit that a woman is upset the state wouldn't pay to take care of her long string of shitty life choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it's a shame she is the only person allowed to post her bail. Oh, wait...

That is still not the fault of the sheriff, take a loan or what ever, I question how she would have afforded it any other way? It's not the sheriff's fault that the american healthcare system is utter garbage. And as a guy I'm constantly told that kids are the risk of having sex, in the same way that was the risk she took. If she can't afford it she simply can't. That's the country you live in, sueing someone for an enormous sum is not something I'll support.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-01-16 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    You forgot the /s tag.
    No I didn't. Not sure if you are serious or just didn't read the article.

I think in the end it would have been better for everyone if they allowed her to get one.. Poor child. hopefully it goes up for adoption and goes to a good family.

Well seeing how those in jail/prison have no rights, except the miranda rights, this is going to go nowhere. It might lead to women that are pregnant and are going to prison must get a abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    No I didn't. Not sure if you are serious or just didn't read the article.

Apparently I gave you credit for knowing as an inmate she was NOT a Law-Abiding Citizen.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Actual law enforcement experience here.

This sheriff is boned and they're going to lose that case. There's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference in the rights of the jailed and the imprisoned. Jail is for misdemeanor offenders or the accused. Prison is for felons.

That sheriff's office is obviously ran by idiots and now the taxpayer's going to pay the price, great.
    Did you watch the video? They got her bond reduced three times, they offered transportation. The only thing they didn't offer was to fund her choice, which she is suing for. That the SO didn't pay for her bad choices.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Actual law enforcement experience here.

This sheriff is boned and they're going to lose that case. There's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference in the rights of the jailed and the imprisoned. Jail is for misdemeanor offenders or the accused. Prison is for felons.

That sheriff's office is obviously ran by idiots and now the taxpayer's going to pay the price, great.
    What? Why? They are allowing her to have an abortion, they just simply won't pay for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Well, I'm a european atheist and here to prove you wrong. At least on the religous part. The other one would depend on what she earnsand how much money she has saved, if she can't affort it the state would jump in, but only then, she'd still have to pay for it otherwise.
    It's in basic healthcare here in the netherlands, because we realised that people not wanting children having children costs a metric tonne of money. And an ewual amount of hurt in wasted youth,upbringing etc.

I mean let me just list all the succesfull happy people here that were raised without dads and their mums incarcerated;

End list.

I think she's just a criminal looking for a payday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    What? Why? They are allowing her to have an abortion, they just simply won't pay for it.
    They let mentally handicapped people get their genitals switched on the states dime, why not a little scrap and vacuuming?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    It's in basic healthcare here in the netherlands, because we realised that people not wanting children having children costs a metric tonne of money. And an ewual amount of hurt in wasted youth,upbringing etc.

I mean let me just list all the succesfull happy people here that were raised without dads and their mums incarcerated;

End list.
    Your list probably misses quite a few people that just got loving foster parents, but that is probably not cliche enough.

This whole thing is giving some bogus petty tyrant decision making power over another individual, power that he doesn't actually possess. When an individual is in custody their rights still have to be respected and any medical needs they have must be respected. The person in custody is 100% the responsibility of those in a custodial position over that individual - and all of the liabilities that may represent.

Sometimes a person in custody will present with a life threatening emergency. Jailers sometimes ignore their please for assistance. Cha-ching, wrongful death lawsuit, depraved indifference, etc.

See how there's a thing called "depraved indifference"?

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    They let mentally handicapped people get their genitals switched on the states dime, why not a little scrap and vacuuming?
    The state could pay for breast implants for all I care, but it will be their decision. This woman has little negotiating power since she isn't providing the funds.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    Apparently I gave you credit for knowing as an inmate she was NOT a Law-Abiding Citizen.
    She had not been convicted.