Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    I am not sure why there is any doubt that this bill is unconstitutional just because the congressmen writing it is using god as his soapbox then.
    The concept of conservatives that your nation was created under god is quite funny, while almost all of your founding fathers stemmed from the enlightement movement and were deists/agnostics
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

These fucking religious dumbasses.

Life begins at conception is some belief in a "soul". So tell me idiots, in Monozygotic twins, which one has the soul?

10+ Year Old Account
    They also seem SUPER focused on trying to establish that the fetus is a human being, with full rights, and really, that's irrelevant.

The womb is a form of life support for the fetus. To nakedly borrow from prior writers, imagine you woke up one day and found that there are hoses that have been stitched into you overnight, and attached to those hoses is a world-famous violinist. His kidneys have failed, and he can't handle normal dialysis, so they need your kidneys, and yours are the only match. They're not going to TAKE them, but his treatment takes about 9 months, so they need you to share yours for that time. Yes, it'll be an inconvenience, and yes, there are some health risks, but without this, he dies.

Was it "right" for them to seize control of your body and establish this against your will?
    Would it be "right" to refuse you any ability to say "no, I don't want to do this, get these out of me"?

The answer to both is pretty clearly "fuck no". You absolutely should have that ability; your right to your own body trumps that violinist's right to life. He doesn't get to seize the use of your body just because "he needs it to live". That's not an argument that works when it's an actual fully-grown human being, even one who's world-famous and a positive contributor to society. So it's ridiculous to try and pretend that it suddenly works with a fetus. The woman's right to choose should be an obvious trump card, like it would be in any other iteration of this set of principles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They also seem SUPER focused on trying to establish that the fetus is a human being, with full rights, and really, that's irrelevant.
    That fetus has 2nd Amendment rights!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Go ahead and take any basic biology course. Let us know what you learned when you come back from your time out
    Its not really a science issue, its more of a legal issue. The classification of when a fetus is considered a human is subjective. To fall back on science when its not applicable is fairly dishonest.

That said this law is ridiculous and gives nearly no time for a potential parent to come to a decision about a lifelong commitment.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Its not really a science issue, its more of a legal issue. The classification of when a fetus is considered a human is subjective. To fall back on science when its not applicable is fairly dishonest.

That said this law is ridiculous and gives nearly no time for a potential parent to come to a decision about a lifelong commitment.
    It ulimately won't change anything anyway. If abortion were to be completely outlawed like this, the good old back alley abortions performed by shady black market doctors would come back with a vengeance.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not. Scientifically we can trace the point where a developing fetus transforms into something that is even remotely human. Just having a pulse doesn't make you a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No it's not. Scientifically we can trace the point where a developing fetus transforms into something that is even remotely human. Just having a pulse doesn't make you a human.
    And when is that point, scientifically when is it that a fetus is considered a human being?

10+ Year Old Account
    Except in your example you would have attached those hoses to yourself.
    Impregnation doesn't require conscious assent, no.

Impregnation doesn't require conscious assent, no.
    So you are saying your example only applies in instances of rape?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    It ulimately won't change anything anyway. If abortion were to be completely outlawed like this, the good old back alley abortions performed by shady black market doctors would come back with a vengeance.
    Yeah thats what I figure will happen in Iowa.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are saying your example only applies in instances of rape?
    I'm not sure how you got that impression. Impregnation is entirely separate from sexual intercourse. We're talking about two different things. Impregnation can occur without intercourse, and intercourse can occur without impregnation. There's some overlap situationally, but consent to sex is not consent to impregnation and bearing a child to term, and it's ridiculous to claim otherwise. It's like arguing that inviting me in for coffee means I have the right to live there for free forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    I am not sure why there is any doubt that this bill is unconstitutional just because the congressmen writing it is using god as his soapbox then.
    Wasn't arguing one way or the other. Was just stating that for someone seriously trying to get this bill passed....he's throwing in a lot of words that have no place in a system with a separation of church and state. He's an idiot. The bill being unconstitutional is in addition to that statement.

Or everyone could have written in Bernie Sanders and then you would have had him as a president. Everyone had options and they followed them through to this.
    It's not the fault of the people who didn't write in the candidate that got less votes and less pledged delegates in the primary. That's bizarre. And I voted for Bernie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrryr View Post
    Poor Iowan women
    I for one, welcome the new wave of dumpster babies. This will hopefully also solve the racoon starvation problem we're currently facing.

Oh conservatives and their obsessions with government small enough to tell women exactly what their bodies should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post

America was founded on the concept that our rights come from God. All human persons have a right to life. How then could we confer that those rights allow the killing of a baby? I believe our most important responsibility that God has bestowed upon us is to protect innocent human life, and I will continue to dedicate my life to that responsibility.”[/I]

Government is meant to be secular.

Abortion should not be illegal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_capacity

I'm not sure how you got that impression. Impregnation is entirely separate from sexual intercourse. We're talking about two different things. Impregnation can occur without intercourse, and intercourse can occur without impregnation. There's some overlap situationally, but consent to sex is not consent to impregnation and bearing a child to term, and it's ridiculous to claim otherwise. It's like arguing that inviting me in for coffee means I have the right to live there for free forever.
    Consent to sex IS consent to impregnation though, just not directly, it's an assumed risk. Nobody signs up to get into an accident when driving a car, but just driving automatically puts you at risk of getting into a driving accident. It's not a consent to carry the child to term, per se, but to say that getting pregnant is not an inherent risk from sex is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    “Since Roe v. Wade was unconstitutionally decided in 1973, nearly 60 million innocent babies' lives have been ended by the abortion industry, all with a rubber stamp by the federal government,”

Human life, beginning at the moment of conception, is sacred in all of its forms and today, I introduced a bill that will protect the lives of voiceless innocents.

My legislation will require all physicians, before conducting an abortion, to detect the heartbeat of the unborn child. If a heartbeat is detected, the baby is protected.

America was founded on the concept that our rights come from God. All human persons have a right to life. How then could we confer that those rights allow the killing of a baby? I believe our most important responsibility that God has bestowed upon us is to protect innocent human life, and I will continue to dedicate my life to that responsibility.”
    So this King guy is one of those "Life starts at conception people." Which is odd because essentially the moment sperm hits egg and turns into zygote or whatever(Don't remember from Biology), that is when life starts or somehow it has to be protected. This guy is also saying the second there is a heartbeat well the *child* is protected. He also had to push religion into this. Forgive me for being cynical but I doubt he's as righteous as he claims.

All he is doing to me is trying to push what he feels is right, at the cost of woman's right to chose to abort. I'm pro abortion but at a certain # of weeks, that is when I'll say "Uhhh no."

I find this bill to be stupid. He can whine about Roe V Wade all he wants but I'd rather have Abortion legal.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Consent to sex IS consent to impregnation though, just not directly, it's an assumed risk. Nobody signs up to get into an accident when driving a car, but just driving automatically puts you at risk of getting into a driving accident. It's not a consent to carry the child to term, per se, but to say that getting pregnant is not an inherent risk from sex is ridiculous.
    To carry this analogy through. It would be illegal for people to have insurance pay for their medical and car bills because they assumed the risk of driving and should live with the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Then dont have sex that could lead to pregnancy if you cant live with the known consequences? Its all your choice.
    Abstinence only policies have failed every single time.
    Putin khuliyo