Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltas View Post
    I can only assume you've never played summoner past super casual.

Ruin 3 is used out of form all the time, if you haven't needed to rez or use excess shadow flares, you should have enough extra mana to throw some ruin 3s out, which is a bunch of extra potency a minute.

I went to fanfest (NA) though and I got to speak with one of the devs a bit at a bar, I have no concrete info but the way they worded stuff made it sound like they'd do things like a trait to make ruin 3 do less and cost less outside of form, so it would replace ruin 1. Essentially what you say. Similarly black mage sounded like it wouldn't need to cast fire 1/blizz1 ever again once you get in the 60s somewhere.

Again, this is speculation based on how they spoke about it, but it sounded like they weren't all that sure either, so we'll see.
    Nah I did, but to be honest with you... I thought ruin 3 was only available once you were in form. My bad. (last time i played was like 2 months after the release of HW)

Homophobia is so gay.

There's too many buttons to press for a majority of class/jobs right now (if not all).

Whereas on WoW I can put all the skills/spells I ever need over 1-5, and alt 1-5 (10 spells that I can comfortably use), FF14 needs like freaking... 15+ buttons.

Currently playing a Black Mage at 60, which I'm told is one of the easier rotations. My defensive cooldowns, CC's and raid Utility is WAY out of reach (requiring me to use my mouse clicking) as all my comfortable hotkeys are taken up by rotation-critical spells.

Looked at the Machinist... ew.
    Looked at the Ninja... ew.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sosaria View Post
    There's too many buttons to press for a majority of class/jobs right now (if not all).

Whereas on WoW I can put all the skills/spells I ever need over 1-5, and alt 1-5 (10 spells that I can comfortably use), FF14 needs like freaking... 15+ buttons.

Currently playing a Black Mage at 60, which I'm told is one of the easier rotations. My defensive cooldowns, CC's and raid Utility is WAY out of reach (requiring me to use my mouse clicking) as all my comfortable hotkeys are taken up by rotation-critical spells.

Lol when did you start wow man? Ffxiv is alot like old-school wow

Really hope they make combos easier to keybind. Leveling DRG right now and am level 56...I have ~4 open slots on three bars, so out of 36 keybinds I have ~4 open and I use every single one on the first 24 regularly and the additional ~6 on the third about once per dungeon. This is ridiculous. Warrior was worse, and I don't even want to think about Monk or Ninja.

They seriously need to streamline the number of keybinds, it's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Lol when did you start wow man? Ffxiv is alot like old-school wow
    not really a good thing, i never hit max lvl in FFXIV but i did in SWTOR and everytime i log in to play a bit of the story its so bad at how many abilities there are. I much prefer wow's take these days. more =/= better.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

What classes do you play in WoW that only needs you to have 10 or so abilities keybinded?

https://i.imgur.com/8l4H4Zd.jpg - Brewmaster Monk

https://i.imgur.com/bN4dlCa.jpg - Destruction Warlock

https://i.imgur.com/xeTGpTp.jpg - Protection Paladin

Yeah there's a few classes that have less than others but the same is true for FFXIV. I guess if you mostly just do world content and the occasional dungeon I can understand...

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    What classes do you play in WoW that only needs you to have 10 or so abilities keybinded?

https://i.imgur.com/8l4H4Zd.jpg - Brewmaster Monk

https://i.imgur.com/bN4dlCa.jpg - Destruction Warlock

https://i.imgur.com/xeTGpTp.jpg - Protection Paladin

Yeah there's a few classes that have less than others but the same is true for FFXIV. I guess if you mostly just do world content and the occasional dungeon I can understand...
    What he means is 15+ buttons just for your main DPS rotation. Lots of classes in WoW have 15+ abilities in total but only a handful of them are actually used in combat.

Yeah well most classes don't have more than five/six buttons for your main rotation in FFXIV too if that's what were basing it upon.. Machinist one of the classes they mentioned really only have five or six abilities in their main rotation but really three/four because two are upkeep buttons. Ninjas are the same with five/six with a few abilities that are used once every 30ish seconds. After that you got some cooldown buttons and stuff and utility just like WoW. I don't see the difference really other than that Blizzard went too far with a few specs.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-01-17 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Really hope they make combos easier to keybind. Leveling DRG right now and am level 56...I have ~4 open slots on three bars, so out of 36 keybinds I have ~4 open and I use every single one on the first 24 regularly and the additional ~6 on the third about once per dungeon. This is ridiculous. Warrior was worse, and I don't even want to think about Monk or Ninja.

They seriously need to streamline the number of keybinds, it's absurd.
    I hope the adopt the blade and soul style of "combos" example skill one turns into skill 2 that turns into skill 3 etc. So a skill turns into the next combo instead of having a keybind for each
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I hope the adopt the blade and soul style of "combos" example skill one turns into skill 2 that turns into skill 3 etc. So a skill turns into the next combo instead of having a keybind for each
    This would be helpful. That would also allow them to add a bunch of stuff in the future to expand upon those combos without worrying about ability bloat.

Man, I would hate to see XIV prune down to WoW's level. Like everything Blizzard does, I feel like they went overboard with the ability pruning.

But then, I feel like the XIV team does a good job adjusting things with a scalpel where Blizzard goes immediately to a chainsaw.....and dynamite.

I'm confident in the FFXIV teams ability to prune while still maintaining the level of game play the classes currently have. But the ability bloat is real. Every single one of my classes is at least 50 and every single one has a full set of bars. Leveling from 50-60 on the ARR classes was kind of painful because I had to rearrange my bars because the new required skills for the rotations needed to go somewhere. I had to practically re-learn how to play these classes because I had gotten so used to my previous keybinds it took a while to adjust to the new ability placements.

I'm sure whatever they come up with will be fine, I just hope they make the combos easier to manage and multi tiered spells that do exactly the same thing (Thunder, Ruin 1 and 3, etc...) don't need to take up multiple ability spots on your bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Man, I would hate to see XIV prune down to WoW's level. Like everything Blizzard does, I feel like they went overboard with the ability pruning.

But then, I feel like the XIV team does a good job adjusting things with a scalpel where Blizzard goes immediately to a chainsaw.....and dynamite.
    Yeah the balance is one of my favorite parts of FFXIV. Sure there's some funny business going on with tanks but as far as DPS classes they're basically all in a good spot which sorta cant be said for some specs in WoW.

I'm confident in the FFXIV teams ability to prune while still maintaining the level of game play the classes currently have. But the ability bloat is real. Every single one of my classes is at least 50 and every single one has a full set of bars. Leveling from 50-60 on the ARR classes was kind of painful because I had to rearrange my bars because the new required skills for the rotations needed to go somewhere. I had to practically re-learn how to play these classes because I had gotten so used to my previous keybinds it took a while to adjust to the new ability placements.

I'm sure whatever they come up with will be fine, I just hope they make the combos easier to manage and multi tiered spells that do exactly the same thing (Thunder, Ruin 1 and 3, etc...) don't need to take up multiple ability spots on your bar.
    I don't think rotational abilities are that big of an issue for most classes. In my opinion its cooldowns that need to be addressed. Bards alone have I believe 5-6 OFFENSIVE cooldowns. On top of that there's redundant AoE abilites. Why do Bards need three AoE abilites that basically do the same thing? Tanks are similar with a million defensive cooldowns that are crap individually.

In the end I can fit all my main rotational abilities onto 5-7 buttons depending on the class and then another 20 are needed for cooldowns and niche abilities.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-01-19 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

I just hit 54 on my astrologian and got melific 2 which is literally a stronger melific 1

like .... why? Usually the 2nd and 3rd versions of a spell differ in some way like a conj stone 1 adds a slow effect

this is literally dumb

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I just hit 54 on my astrologian and got melific 2 which is literally a stronger melific 1

like .... why? Usually the 2nd and 3rd versions of a spell differ in some way like a conj stone 1 adds a slow effect

this is literally dumb
    Coming at it from Final Fantasy's historical roots, the MP cost of the Melific 1 makes it the better choice when you're conserving MP.

But this is an MMO and that's an example of the type of thing I'm fine with seeing pruned. I just don't want to see everything gutted to 5 main buttons and others you use in specific occasions.

I never said I don't want them to prune, just that I don't want them to gut everything entirely like WoW did.

The 1-1-1 combo is an interesting challenge since many jobs have branching combos.

Unholy DKs are a nice example of a proper revamp/prune. Decent amount of rotational abilities with a few offensive and defensive cooldowns and some utility. The best part is you can easily put all the stuff you need (and even niche stuff) onto two hotbars while still being a really satisfying spec to play.

I play it on a PS4 controller and its fine, ill take that over modern WoW's near moba rotations honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I play it on a PS4 controller and its fine, ill take that over modern WoW's near moba rotations honestly.
    My friend plays on PC exclusively with a controller!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Unholy DKs are a nice example of a proper revamp/prune. Decent amount of rotational abilities with a few offensive and defensive cooldowns and some utility. The best part is you can easily put all the stuff you need (and even niche stuff) onto two hotbars while still being a really satisfying spec to play.
    I really like that spec.

I play on ps4 and i'm having a hard time tbf. Only been playing on ps4 for a few days so theres that , but i've almost filled two crossbars (thats 32 buttons) and i have not yet even started Heavensward.

Its quite a bit bloated imo ? Like i can do base rotation (Mudras/Ninjutsu + the 3 dots + aolian edge +assassinate +hide/trick attack and the 2 combo buttons ) fine but when you have to have Kassatsu and Jugulate on reach thats one crossbar. Then cross class abilities ( usually cooldowns) , mug , goad, throwing dagger, the pbaoe attack , sukuchi and some others are already filling up my 2nd crossbar. And all are very frequently used. Thats before i have Heavensward abilities.
    I was going to level a Dragoon but after seeing how tough it is for me to get used to controller i didnt even try Dragoon which apparently has even more buttons.

I'd apreciate tips if someone knows a "easier" class to smooth the learning curve of the controller.

there's an option in the character config where you can set it that holding L2 and R2 Together brings up a set crossbar without having to do r1+button and letting go takes you back to your original crossbar