AST + AST in a group together sucks. I hate the shield Sect, and so do many other AST. And card buffs don't stack so one of you just feels useless in that regard. AST+WHM is my favorite combo. AST+SCH works too but IMO not as effectively as AST+WHM...all those HoTs + party buffs? Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    AST + AST in a group together sucks. I hate the shield Sect, and so do many other AST. And card buffs don't stack so one of you just feels useless in that regard. AST+WHM is my favorite combo. AST+SCH works too but IMO not as effectively as AST+WHM...all those HoTs + party buffs? Yes please!
    If I'm not mistaken you can't stack the shield anyway right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I do believe they stack. Not shield + shield but HoT + Shield and HoT + HoT should.

The card buffs don't stack though, so people need to coordinate who buffs whom or in case of AoE buffs: who buffs when. I agree that would be very annoying to do w/o being in vent/TS with the other healer.
    IIRC HoT+HoT doesn't actually stack. Haven't played AST lately and most people tend to swap to the other sect if we do end up AST/AST.

Watching my co-healer overrite my AoE Balance with AoE Bole is infuriating especially AT the start of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Correct, shield can't stack whether you're SCH or AST. Which is why if you're running AST/SCH, the AST is diurnal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    IIRC HoT+HoT doesn't actually stack. Haven't played AST lately and most people tend to swap to the other sect if we do end up AST/AST.

Watching my co-healer overrite my AoE Balance with AoE Bole is infuriating especially AT the start of the fight.
    There there Kael /pats. If I get an AST like that I'll probably shove the cards up his backside. TOTALLY NOT VIOLENT.

Oh boy, and here I just recently finished the ARR Nexus light farm and am currently on the Zeta mahatma grind. Kinda hoping this new light farm is more akin to the latter.

Hey, at least I know I can spend the tomestones I saved up towards PLD anima (cause that's what I'll turn the zeta in for once it's done). Methinks Ravana Ex might become the HW equivalent of Garuda HM (and as someone who hasn't won the damn mount still, that's not a terrible thing).

Resubbed yesterday, only managed to have time until today to play. Logs in and gets maintenance rip. Tomorrow then!

15+ Year Old Account
    There there Kael /pats. If I get an AST like that I'll probably shove the cards up his backside. TOTALLY NOT VIOLENT.
    When I was like 'why would you overwrite Balance with Bole?' They got pissy and were like "OMG I FORGOT WHAT CARD I HAD HELD OK??? LIKE OMG HOW DARE YOU" Just...one, why would you hold Bole anyway, and two, part of being a healer (ast in particular) is about paying attention. To be fair, sometimes I do derp myself throw cards on myself because I forgot I didn't have AoE RR set up but they went full defensive on me. :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    AST + AST in a group together sucks. I hate the shield Sect, and so do many other AST.
    I don't understand the hate on Nocturnal Sect, it's pretty nice especially if you can prevent knockbacks with shields.

If I get an AST like that I'll probably shove the cards up his backside. TOTALLY NOT VIOLENT.
    *Slowly turns away and starts running*

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    I don't understand the hate on Nocturnal Sect, it's pretty nice especially if you can prevent knockbacks with shields.

I know where you live ANZA! (Ingame of course) /prepares all those fucking Spires I drew in Cutters yesterday with a tank who had no TP issues and 2 SMNS!

10+ Year Old Account
    I know where you live ANZA! (Ingame of course)
    I'll hide in my apartment. Got my tiny little corner there behind locked doors.

15+ Year Old Account

For me, I don't like Noct sect simply because I'm a bad SCH and Noct is enough scholar-esque that I don't enjoy playing it even tho Noct Aspect Benefic is extremely mana efficient and AST has aaammmaaazzing mana regen. Diurnal is just easier, I can regen and forget whereas with shielding I feel like I need to pay a little more attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, I don't like Noct sect simply because I'm a bad SCH and Noct is enough scholar-esque that I don't enjoy playing it even tho Noct Aspect Benefic is extremely mana efficient and AST has aaammmaaazzing mana regen. Diurnal is just easier, I can regen and forget whereas with shielding I feel like I need to pay a little more attention.
    Yeah, I usually play with regens as well, but I don't have problem going with shield either.

Tho, lately I've been going with shields in Ex dungeons since they don't generate hate while tank is doing mass pulls, and blocks quite nice amount of damage during the run to "AoE location".

10+ Year Old Account
    IIRC HoT+HoT doesn't actually stack.
    WooT? Okay.

game is currently down or I would ask my friend to confirm. ^^

- - - Updated - - -

I dislike the concept of preemptive healing.
    Never really got it to work, in WoW (Disc) either.

Prefer the "shit hits fan -> me presses button to save asses" approach.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    WooT? Okay.

game is currently down or I would ask my friend to confirm. ^^
    Again IIRC the idea is that WHM's regens stack because they have no other options and stacking shields for SCH would be op whereas AST have two sects so someone should be swapping to the other sect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again IIRC the idea is that WHM's regens stack because they have no other options and stacking shields for SCH would be op whereas AST have two sects so someone should be swapping to the other sect.
    Makes sense, since you don't have more than 2 healers in an 8 man group.

Tho, lately I've been going with shields in Ex dungeons since they don't generate hate while tank is doing mass pulls, and blocks quite nice amount of damage during the run to "AoE location".
    That's their best use, IMO. I'll swap to it in POTD if we're playing round-up, or to toss on Mantibro as he goes stomping about, in case something manages to get in a hit before he can high-five them off the map.

oh yea I got 800k saved up

can someone tell me about housing since it's been updated?

What can't apartments do for example? Should I just save for a house? I'm not in a FC
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    What can't apartments do for example? Should I just save for a house? I'm not in a FC
    Well, for starters they are smaller than houses. They also don't have outdoor space, so you can't set garden.

The shield doesn't stack, and neither do the HoTs if I'm not mistaken. Basically the same healing spell effect spell from different people can't stack, so it's useless to have AST both in the same "stance" so to speak.

I honestly just don't like the shield sect because it FEELS so pointless to me; cast the heal, get the shield effect, you see the shield icon and ~2 seconds later it's gone so you feel the need to cast it again...at least I do. With the HoT the icon, and therefore the effect, stays until the HoT duration expires so it just looks and feels more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Why play fighting games when you hate fighting games?
    Why play shooters if you hate guns?
    Why does every genre of game need to be identical?
    Because Stories =/= RPG's. The two are entirely separate. Which is entirely the problem I have with FF 14, the story they're trying to tell and the game they've built are just far too contradictory that they may as well just exist in their own little bubbles.

They've made a rock solid MMORPG, then locked it all away behind a terrible story. The pacing is totally off, the characters are either entirely forgetable or named Mary Sue and there are plot holes so large you could fit an entire country through them. In the words of another FF Protagonist, "This is my story". So why has it been replaced with Alphinaud's Story?

I didn't enjoy playing the Witcher games at all. As much as I loved the world of the Witcher, the gameplay just killed it for me. So I read the books instead - They stand up much better without game play clunking up the story. I'm not against storytelling, but when it comes bundled with a bunch of game mechanics you've got to be really careful with how you tell it.

Have you ever read any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels? Fantastic books, I highly reccomend them if you haven't. I bring them up because they made several video game spinoffs with Rincewind being the main character of the first two, and an entirely new character as the protagonist of the third noir themed one. Despite being based in one of the most richly detailed fantasy universes, and even having Pratchett's help with some of the diologue, the games themselves ended up being rather mediocre. Discworld, for all of its colourful characters and wonderful places, just works better in novel form. And thats fine. But trying to tell stories of the same style in a video game just ends up with a product that doesn't fully capitalise on such a well fleshed out universe, nor one that truly realises the power of gaming.

What game Dev's should aim to do is tell the story of their world though it's environments and reinforce it through game systems and mechanics. Let me find out about your world and my place in it through play, not exposition dumps. You've got far more tools to work with as a game designer than a storyteller, use them!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    When you put it in the vein of they should be the same I do actually have to agree to an extent. Some of the best RPGs have gameplay elements that very closely tie to a plot device.

I do however disagree with your dislike for cutscenes. I find that it is nice sometimes to have a break from the action to focus on dialogue and world building.
    Some of the best games in general have gameplay tied to the plot. I know that it's not feasible for every game out there to do it, but having game mechanics that contradict major plot points is a huge no-no from me.

I don't reject the idea of cutscenes in a game altogether. But for too many games it's the main way that they go about telling the story, to the point that it gives the impression it was made by a frustrated film director rather than a developer. They're a tool that should absolutely be used, however they should be used sparingly and only when they're the right tool for the job. We're not still playing games on the PS1 and we don't need a cutscene to introduce new places and people to us anymore, so using them at every opportunity is just poor form.

As for a break from the action goes... I agree, games absolutely should be paced in a way where you get to wind down from the action from time to time. It doesn't have to be a cutscene through, it can be a town to chill out in, letting you explore or hunt down secret areas, a puzzle, mini games etc. Lots of ways to go about it without taking direct control away from the player.