Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry Ethics Watchdog Investigating Canadian PM'S Vacation

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-16-12-28-48

Canada's ethics commissioner said Monday she is launching an investigation into Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's recent family holiday at the Aga Khan's private island in the Bahamas.

Ethics commissioner Mary Dawson said Trudeau may have violated the federal ethics code during his holiday with the Aga Khan, a family friend, philanthropist and hereditary spiritual leader to the world's approximately 15 million Ismaili Muslims. It's the first time the ethics commissioner has opted to investigate the actions of a sitting prime minister.

In a letter to opposition Conservative lawmaker Blaine Calkins, who was among those who filed formal complaints, Dawson said she is looking into both Trudeau's stay at the island and his use of the Aga Khan's private helicopter to get there.

The vacation included Trudeau, his family, Liberal lawmaker Seamus O'Regan and Liberal party president Anna Gainey, all of whom took part in the chopper flight from Nassau to get to the secluded island.

Both the Conflict of Interest Act and Trudeau's own ethics guidelines bar the use of sponsored travel in private aircraft, allowing it only for exceptional circumstances.

The guidelines also prohibit a minister or any member of their family from accepting gifts or "advantages" that could reasonably be seen as influencing government decisions. The only exception is if the person providing the gift is a friend.

Trudeau has repeatedly called the Aga Khan a longtime family friend who was a pallbearer at his father's funeral. Late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and the Aga Khan were friends.

Trudeau has said he is ready to meet with Dawson about the trip.

"As the prime minister said last week, we are happy to engage with the commissioner and answer any questions she may have," the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement.

This is really troubling. Trudeau may have violated his own guidelines. Everyone should take not and not fall into the "do as I say and not as I do" trap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Say it isnt so @Tennisace !

I can't wait to see how Tennisace leaps to defend his one true love's honor.

You guys are so gonna get infracted lol.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm seeing Trudeau's bullshit finally come to light. Though there have been previous examples.

Tennisace on suicide watch.

This guy seems to have a bit of a blindspot when it comes to a certain religion

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    I think I'm seeing Trudeau's bullshit finally come to light. Though there have been previous examples.
    Since he's clearly been hinting he has no intention to abolish our First Past The Post election system, despite that was the singular issue that caused him to win like 86% of the vote or whatever - he's lost all love from me: and I was a lifelong Liberal even before this issue.

So, in future elections, I will need to go even further Left - because apparently even when we give the Liberals a mandate and the power to do one damned thing right for us - they still fuck it up.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    This guy seems to have a bit of a blindspot when it comes to a certain religion
    It seems like a problem with most people on the left.

I don't know why he wouldn't have just paid for the flight and accommodations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    So, in future elections, I will need to go even further Left - because apparently even when we give the Liberals a mandate and the power to do one damned thing right for us - they still fuck it up.
    I might go the opposite way in the next election or vote independent. I can't vote NDP because I disagree with quotas.

It is kinda hard to care... no one expected anything out of him besides weed.

It is hard to feel to strongly over something so minor. He did a worse number selling off the gold reserve at record low numbers and over funding the arts.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    It is kinda hard to care... no one expected anything out of him besides weed.
    I've never done it and probably never will but thats the reason I voted for him.

They don't have ethics violations in Canada.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I might go the opposite way in the next election or vote independent. I can't vote NDP because I disagree with quotas.
    I cringe at the thought of going NDP too. I may go Green, I've been a supporter for years anyways - but strategically voted Liberal because Green didn't have critical mass to win any other ridings.

It may be time to start throwing my vote away though, if I can't trust the Liberals to do the right thing - and who knows - maybe I can campaign to flip downtown Vancouver - our mayor is pretty much a Green-in-Liberal-clothing anyways.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

How can you slander the great Trudeau? He doesn't do anything wrong!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    How can politicians get away with being so unethical in this day and age? It's 2016- I mean 2017!

When Canada sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems to us. They're bringing weed. They're bringing crime. They're ethics violators.

Deleted
    Can we make Trudeau Canadian Prime minister for life?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You guys are so gonna get infracted lol.
    It's always amusing to get infracted for calling a troll......a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    It's always amusing to get infracted for calling a troll......a troll.
    now you're gonna get infracted for using the t word lol.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano