Thread: [TV] Sherlock

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well... That was a disappointment.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Pretty good episode overall. Loved the ending. Although at a few times I did feel it was a bit cliche.

Terrible episode. This whole season was meh but this was the cherry on top. Worst episode in the entire series. This is nothing like the Sherlock of the first two seasons - back when I thought this show was amazing.

For a large part of it I was being reminded of Saw or some shit. Nothing clever about it, just lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Terrible episode. This whole season was meh but this was the cherry on top. Worst episode in the entire series. This is nothing like the Sherlock of the first two seasons - back when I thought this show was amazing.

For a large part of it I was being reminded of Saw or some shit. Nothing clever about it, just lame.
    Moffat has done the same with Dr. Who i think its time for him to go.

It was bizarre and unbelievable (in a not good way).

The very premise that this person is so smart they can make anyone do anything just by speaking to them is hilariously poorly conceived and written. The idea that this person can run the whole facility in which they're imprisoned against the will of her captors is......well, just, wtf.

Also convenient, that Sherlock has forgotten the very existence of this person, and the solution to her puzzles.

It seemed like an episode about a poorly constructed escape room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    Moffat has done the same with Dr. Who i think its time for him to go.
    Thankfully, we've already gotten rid of him on Doctor Who. If reactions to this episode are anything to go by... I don't think he'll be around on Sherlock much longer. Mark Gatiss FTW.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It was bizarre and unbelievable (in a not good way).

The very premise that this person is so smart they can make anyone do anything just by speaking to them is hilariously poorly conceived and written. The idea that this person can run the whole facility in which they're imprisoned against the will of her captors is......well, just, wtf.

Also convenient, that Sherlock has forgotten the very existence of this person, and the solution to her puzzles.

It seemed like an episode about a poorly constructed escape room.

My thought when they first mentioned this was that she was an expert in hypnosis, problem is they never showed anything to indicate this is what she was doing, at least not overtly. I was thinking her technique involved a combination of speech and hand gestures.

BTW did anyone catch the Easter Egg at the end of the episode, the building was named Rathbone.
    Last edited by Feredir; 2017-01-16 at 12:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    My thought when they first mentioned this was that she was an expert in hypnosis, problem is they never showed anything to indicate this is what she was doing, at least not overtly. I was thinking her technique involved a combination of speech and hand gestures.

BTW did anyone catch the Easter Egg at the end of the episode, the building was named Rathbone.
    I did catch that yes! Was probably my favourite part of the episode...

As for her control thing, I just figured they were doubling down on the Silence of the Lambs stuff. They already had the flat out REFERENCE to it, plus the lighting/shot selection, especially during Euros' videos. Why not go all the way and give her his powers of persuasion as well? I mean this is a guy who convinced Multiple Miggs in the cell next to him to kill himself, just buy talking.

This is one of the defining moments in the movie, as it sets up Hannibal as this dark genius who can get anyone to do anything just by asking the right way.

Moffat tried to do a similar thing with Euros. Sadly, it backfired because he is no Thomas Harris and Euros isn't in Lector's league, they're not even playing the same game.

Yeah I didn't really buy that either. She 'enslaves' people by talking to them for a few minutes? What a load of bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Maybe. The show depicts him as still being insightful while high, though.
    Well, as the last episode mentioned, the true art of disguise according to Sherlock (so most likely according to people who think like him as well) is not being looked at. And as Eurus said, she wasn't really looked at, i.e. she hid behind a sexy smile the first time, behind a cane the second. Hiding in plain sight is a common theme in the show. And Sherlock wasn't his normal high when he met with her. He had trouble deducting things accessible to him on the spot and had, so to speak, lagging issues. Besides, even when not drugged, he often ignores such things (after all it's people and people are boring to him and he was busy trolling Watson when at the therapist) until they become relevant. And for that there usually needs to be something that doesn't fit, then things start to fit in place once he tries to solve it. In cause of Eurus it would be him finding the letter Faith gave him and confirming she was real. He most likely would have connected the pieces from there (and maybe did, we don't know if Watson called him first or not).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Honestly a big let down of a season. The first episodes ending was highly implausible, and just felt like we wasted the last season on her now. The second episode now has questions popping up (How did Eurus know he was going to kill someone?) beyond being another incredibly convulated solution, and Eurus managing to hide from Mycroft and John even though they hould have recognized her most likely. And onto the finale...

They completely threw away the history and awesomeness that was Moriarty, since he llike any other random person literally fell under her spell within 5 minutes, and I now have to assume everything he did was based on her plans. Then you get into her plan for this epsiode which was incredibly complex, almost needlessly so. You have Sherlock forgetting his childhood to insane degrees, Eurus mimicking a small gir seamlessly and the solution being to hug her.

It just felt so out of place, and the worst thing to me was it counterfeited moriarty in favor or this poorly designed and explained "genius"

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    They completely threw away the history and awesomeness that was Moriarty, since he llike any other random person literally fell under her spell within 5 minutes, and I now have to assume everything he did was based on her plans. Then you get into her plan for this epsiode which was incredibly complex, almost needlessly so. You have Sherlock forgetting his childhood to insane degrees, Eurus mimicking a small gir seamlessly and the solution being to hug her.

It just felt so out of place, and the worst thing to me was it counterfeited moriarty in favor or this poorly designed and explained "genius"
    Was Moriarty 'under her spell'? I didn't perceive that. If anything, I think he influenced her. It was said at one point that "she wasn't the same after that visit on christmas day" or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Was Moriarty 'under her spell'? I didn't perceive that. If anything, I think he influenced her. It was said at one point that "she wasn't the same after that visit on christmas day" or something along those lines.
    I feel like they didnt explain it either way, I got hints of it being possibly either scenario. But Moriarty killed himself in a move I still cant explain (I know it was ssupposed to force Sherlock to kill himself, but that felt silly even then and worse now), so after this and his visit I just assumed that was their explanation. The problem was no matter what was actually occuring in that episode, we got very little explanation for it. It was basically like Lost, where the few things that were explained were mostly hand waving BS, and the rest went unanswered.

And I also thought this season was going to be the return of Moriarty and even at later stages of this episode I thought he was going to be revealed as the true mastermind, but nope, which isnt neccesarily bad but I felt it made it even worse.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2017-01-16 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I feel like they didnt explain it either way, I got hints of it being possibly either scenario. But Moriarty killed himself in a move I still cant explain (I know it was ssupposed to force Sherlock to kill himself, but that felt silly even then and worse now), so after this and his visit I just assumed that was their explanation. The problem was no matter what was actually occuring in that episode, we got very little explanation for it. It was basically like Lost, where the few things that were explained were mostly hand waving BS, and the rest went unanswered.

And I also thought this season was going to be the return of Moriarty and even at later stages of this episode I thought he was going to be revealed as the true mastermind, but nope, which isnt neccesarily bad but I felt it made it even worse.
    I would like to think Moriarty was probably intelligent enough to resist her "reprogramming" (which remains my biggest issue with the entire episode).

I felt it would be kinda lame if Moriarty had come back. He died, sometimes characters need to stay dead.

So this last episode is getting completely savaged by critics and viewers. D+ on AV Club for instance. Looks like Sherlock won't be renewed after this shameful performance. Enjoy your last ever Sherlock ever guys!!!
    Last edited by ramjb; 2017-01-16 at 11:24 PM.

I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed it
    I greatly enjoyed large parts of it. The humor was fantastic, in a vacuum Eurus was interesting and scary, Moriarty is always, and some serious focus on Mycroft was also welcome. I just think in the bigger picture (Both the whole episode and how it affects the whole series) was poorly done at best and that hurt my enjoyment of the episode.

I just can't believe the premise that Euros runs the prison just by talking to people. You can see her in the Gov'r's office and people just walking around in the background.

Someone brought up hypnosis as a possible explanation, but then that takes away from her intellectual characterization. The whole episode, I kept thinking, "Has this show taken a turn for the supernatural? Is she some sort of psi-person?"

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I just can't believe the premise that Euros runs the prison just by talking to people. You can see her in the Gov'r's office and people just walking around in the background.

Someone brought up hypnosis as a possible explanation, but then that takes away from her intellectual characterization. The whole episode, I kept thinking, "Has this show taken a turn for the supernatural? Is she some sort of psi-person?"
    You know that reverse Stockholm syndrome (Lima syndrome) is a thing right? I'd think it'd be extremely hard to keep a pretty young lady locked up in real life. Any guard worth his manhood would let her out for a chance with her. See also the movie Ex Machina where the same thing happened.

Meanwhile Ex Machina got critics choice rave reviews while Sherlock is lambasted for having the same plot point It's a bizzaro world we live in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Meanwhile Ex Machina got critics choice rave reviews while Sherlock is lambasted for having the same plot point It's a bizzaro world we live in.
    Generally the second person to do something gets less credit. Also, the WAY Ex Machina did it was far better, while I felt the way it was handled in this didn't work nearly as well. Plus, the payoff was awful in this...