Page 1 of 45
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Inauguration boycott grows as Donald Trump meets Martin Luther King III

Twenty-six members of Congress will boycott Donald Trump’s inauguration on Friday, amid escalating outrage over alleged connections between the president-elect’s team and Russia and disparaging remarks about civil rights veteran John Lewis.

President-elect says his son-in-law ‘knows the region, knows the people,’ but the reality appears to be somewhat different
    Read more

As the US marked its national holiday honoring Martin Luther King Jr on Monday, the number of Democrats pledging to shun Friday’s ceremony and celebrations rose. Their extraordinary step was praised by progressive leaders.

A little before 1pm, however, Martin Luther King III, the oldest child of Martin Luther King Jr, arrived at Trump Tower in New York to meet the president-elect.

Around 50 minutes later, King emerged from the building’s elevators and spoke to reporters. Asked why he had met Trump, who did not talk to the press but was seen shaking his guest’s hand, he said it was a constructive meeting and added: “We have got to move forward.”

King and William Wachtel, a New York lawyer, said they spoke to Trump about voter participation and how to carry forward King’s father’s legacy by making it “easier for everyone to vote”. “President-elect Trump has committed to working with us,” Wachtel said.

In 2013, a supreme court decision struck down key elements of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, a central achievement of the civil rights movement designed to protect minority voters.

“This president may well” be in adherence with the spirit of the Voting Rights Act “and once again make it easy for all Americans to vote”,

Asked about Lewis, King said: “Things get said on both sides in the heat of emotion. And at some point in this nation we’ve got to move forward.” He added that he would “continue to evaluate” Trump’s commitment to representing all Americans.
    What you need to know: confirming Trump's cabinet
    Read more

“I believe we have to consistently engage with pressure, public pressure,” King said. “It doesn’t happen automatically, my father and his team understood that, did that.

“I think my father would be very concerned about the 50 to 60 million people living in poverty. It’s insanity that we have poor people in this nation, it’s unacceptable. We need to be talking about how to clothe people, how do we feed people.”

One civil rights veteran told the Guardian she supported the Trump-King meeting but also praised members of Congress who plan to boycott the inauguration.

“Those members of Congress feel that not attending the inauguration is making a statement that they are against the politics put forth by Donald Trump,” Doris Crenshaw, who campaigned with Rosa Parks and met Martin Luther King Jr before his assassination in 1968, told the Guardian.

Cornell William Brooks, president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), has demanded that Trump apologize to Lewis, the long-time Georgia congressman who had his skull broken by the police during the pivotal Selma to Montgomery march of 1965.

Lewis said last week he would not attend the inauguration and did not regard Trump as a legitimate president, following intelligence reports of Russian interference in the election.

Trump launched a fierce counterattack on Twitter in which he accused Lewis of being “all talk” and warned him to focus on his district which was “crime infested”.

On Monday in Miami, Lewis spoke at a breakfast to celebrate the MLK holiday. He did not mention Trump but invoked King’s philosophy of non-violence in a hinted rebuke at the president-elect’s vitriolic style.

“You must never, ever hate,” he said. “Stand up, speak up, when you see something that is not right and not fair and not just, you have a moral obligation to do something and say something.”

Lewis spoke of his childhood, of trying out his voice as a preacher while tending chickens at his family farm.

“The chickens listened better than some of my fellow members in Congress listen to me now,” he said, to laugher. He also told of a member of the Ku Klux Klan who once beat him up later coming to his office on Capitol Hill, where he has been a congressman since 1987, to apologize and ask for forgiveness.

Lewis added that he did now know where his career – or America – would be without Martin Luther King Jr. “He freed us, he liberated us,” he said.

Martin Luther King III was ushered into Trump Tower by the president-elect’s surrogate and former reality TV participant Omarosa Manigault. The agenda for the meeting was not publicised beforehand.

“I think it’s good that he meets Trump,” said Crenshaw, who was vice-president of the NAACP youth council during the civil rights years.

“You cannot operate with a ‘no talk’ policy: someone has to get in there and talk to Donald Trump and I think King should be congratulated for his efforts. It’s important to address poverty and education problems that we have nationwide.”

Some of the members of Congress boycotting the inauguration, such as Luis Gutierrez of Illinois, Nydia Velazquez of New York and Pramila Jayapal of Washington, have said they will attend the Women’s March on Washington on Saturday instead.

The Women’s March is expected to attract hundreds of thousands rallying for progressive causes, from women’s and racial equality to reproductive rights, the environment and the minimum wage.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...iii-john-lewis

The way this is shaping up, it's gonna be the most dreary and boring inauguration in recent history. It seems like half the country is boycotting this.

I'm just not seeing the point in pointless resistance as excessive as this. People take turns to shit on Trump every second they get.

i don't like how people treat this john lewis as though his word is god and beyond reproach.

rand paul said it, his status as a civil rights icon doesn't make him exempt from criticism. no person living or dead is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    I'm just not seeing the point in pointless resistance as excessive as this. People take turns to shit on Trump every second they get.
    Why not. You send a message that it's not going to be smooth sailing with his racist/bigoted policies

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Why not. You send a message that it's not going to be smooth sailing with his racist/bigoted policies
    Name one of his policies that is racist.

I call these boycotts the "the ensuring Trump gets a second term rally."

I am starting to think that people who label themselves as progressives lack the ability to learn. The reason why Trump is president is in now small part due to the public tantrums these adult children throw.

That's what people did so they voted the racist/bigoted Democrats out of literally EVERYTHING. From 2018, Republicans in the US will have enough power to alter the constitution and they will have pretty much absolute power for the next what? 28-30 years. Basically what people are doing now is making 100% sure Trump will get a second term.

Haha, at this rate Trump is going to get a constitutional amendment through and govern for the next 20 years

7+ Year Old Account
    Have people learned nothing about dealing with Berlusconi? Trump is Berlusconi on steroids!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I call these boycotts the "the ensuring Trump gets a second term rally."

I am starting to think that people who label themselves as progressives lack the ability to learn. The reason why Trump is president is in now small part due to the public tantrums these adult children throw.
    No, what will get Trump reelected is having a shit candidate in 2020.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    And this, in turn, makes him stronger, which is ironic because I'm quite sure their goal is to do the contrary.

The more the people bash on Trump, the more his follower base solidify itself. The more they solidify themselves, the harder it will be to flip it on the other side, the more the other side will become desperate.

If anything, this shows that the hysteria of fear is stronger than the rational that nothing has been done yet.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...iii-john-lewis

The way this is shaping up, it's gonna be the most dreary and boring inauguration in recent history. It seems like half the country is boycotting this.
    no it doesnt seem like half the country, and can you point me to one that wasnt borring?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i don't like how people treat this john lewis as though his word is god and beyond reproach.

rand paul said it, his status as a civil rights icon doesn't make him exempt from criticism. no person living or dead is.
    Blaming a man for his districts fault when all he does is represent them is pathetic. That is the job of the police, businessmen, and citizens themselves. He represents there opinions. He doesn't dictate what happens. What Trump said was hateful because of those reasons alone not because he is a civil rights icon, it is just icing on the cake that the Trustfund Baby is calling the Civil Rights activist who got beat the fuck up a baby.

Lol when will these idiots learn.

Deleted
    He should just hire some strippers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    no it doesnt seem like half the country, and can you point me to one that wasnt borring?
    Obama's first was quite the event and very inspiring for minorities.

It seems like half the country is boycotting this.
    Just the infantile, belligerent, militant, went into a state of meltdown cause the candidate wouldn't say he would accept the results then refuse to accept the results ourselves, riot destroy property commit hate crimes and send death threats cause we lost, QQing like a bunch of butt-hurt babies side.

And who the fuck cares if they "boycott" the event.

They weren't invited anyways!

MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    And this, in turn, makes him stronger, which is ironic because I'm quite sure their goal is to do the contrary.

If anything, this shows that the hysteria of fear is stronger than the rational that nothing has been done yet.
    I'm going to disagree. I believe Trump is going to be a one and done president. Mainly because those that put him in power are most likely going to be sorely disappointed in him and the ones that thinks he is the devil will not change their stance, even as he proves to be far more progressive than they thought, because he will still have (R) by his name.

The first year will be the tale tale signs of whether he has a shot a a 2nd term. If he really does amazing things for the middle class in the next 12-18 months, He is back in. If he fails to deliver anything by the 3rd year, he's gone.

You'll keep saying that until the man gets shot or a war breaks out within the S.

S instead of US because you are not united anymore.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    No, what will get Trump reelected is having a shit candidate in 2020.
    Does anyone doubt the DNC will likely do that? Tim Kaine or Cory Booker will be the Next Hillary Clinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.