Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is sci fi and fantasy only for the rich and intelligent?

I only buy books at Barnes & Noble but I couldn't help but laugh at Walmart's selection of books. Nothing but trashy romance novels, right wing books by people like Rush Limbaugh, and generic techno thriller novels. Even Fred Meyers has a great selection of sci fi and fantasy novels. I saw novels like Game of Thrones and Lost Fleet at Fred Meyers. Do the Walmart execs think sci fi and fantasy requires too much intellect from their clientele?

walmart's goal is quantity over quality. they would rather sell 10 trashy romance novels than 1 good scifi book. and as bad as I assume those trashy novels are they sell alot for cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like books for sale at Walmart are more of an impulse buy thing. People are most likely not going to go to Walmart with the intent of buying a book, but may grab something that catches their eye like a trashy romance novel or the latest Dan Brown novel. Probably a lot of the same types of books you will see for sale in airport gift shops.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I only buy books at Barnes & Noble but I couldn't help but laugh at Walmart's selection of books. Nothing but trashy romance novels, right wing books by people like Rush Limbaugh, and generic techno thriller novels. Even Fred Meyers has a great selection of sci fi and fantasy novels. I saw novels like Game of Thrones and Lost Fleet at Fred Meyers. Do the Walmart execs think sci fi and fantasy requires too much intellect from their clientele?
    I expect they are providing content specific to the market segment that actually shops in their stores.

I believe there are actual studies that claim that people that read are smarter than those that don't. I always felt that I owed much of my success at college and grad school to being an avid reader (I am usually reading 3-5 books at a time plus news/ blogs etc). I mostly read sci fi/ fantasy, spiritual, astronomy and earth science.

As for Walmart: they just sell whatever they think the typical person in their clientele will buy.

I'm certainly not rich and I only consider myself between average and slightly above average intelligence, and most of my books are sci-fi and fantasy.

I think it just depends on the store; dedicated book stores tend to cater to a wider range of genres than bigger, wider-focused stores. I know here in Australia K-mart and Target books are largely trashy romance, kids books and very occasionally a notable author's latest book. Gotta go to a dedicated book store for anything I'd classify as being noteworthy.

Walmart isn't where most people go to buy books...there are still bookstores(and Amazon), for that, and it certainly doesn't require wealth. Over the past year I bought dozens of books and didn't pay more than $4 for any of them, and didn't get a one of them at Walmart. Walmart basically has a token book section for the big best sellers, and little else, and frankly...that's not usually sci-fi. Not usually horror, either, outside of Stephen King.

You have to consider-a lot of people simply don't read at all. Of the ones who do, a fair amount of them read primarily digitally, on their Kindles and stuff, not actual physical copies of the books, which means they aren't gonna be buying books either. Then, consider that of the people who DO buy books, sci-fi(and horror) is still a niche genre, not as popular as your basic mystery/suspense/techno-thriller type stuff. When you put all those factors together, it shouldn't come as a surprise that a store like Walmart, which is only gonna devote a limited amount of space to books period, will primarily fill that space with the big most popular best selling stuff.

Doubtful Walmart is a barometer of anything other than volume.

Doubly doubtful (and stupid frankly) to assume the most popular genre of film, television, video games and literature is only for the 'rich & intelligent' based on browsing Wal-Mart's book selection.

This is not even a sound question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rich and intelligent people do not shop at Walmart? I don't see why not unless you are just against the way Walmart does business. Walmarts are convenient.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Doubtful Walmart is a barometer of anything other than volume.

Doubly doubtful (and stupid frankly) to assume the most popular genre of film, television, video games and literature is only for the 'rich & intelligent' based on browsing Wal-Mart's book selection.
    Most popular? I'm not so sure. I mean I guess the comic book movies are technically sci-fi, but they're not the sort of thing most people think of when they think "sci-fi". And there's Star Wars, yeah...but OTOH, the recent Star Treks aren't exactly breaking any records. Neither was Passengers, or Arrival, or 10 Cloverfield Lane, or Terminator Genisys, or Jupiter Ascending(to name a few from the past couple years)...it appears sci-fi is only the most popular movie genre when it involves super-heroes or the words "Star Wars".

As for television...are there any sci-fi shows on that are doing all that well? I mean, I guess if you wanted to stretch typical definitions you could lump TWD and GoT in as sci-fi? I suppose, though most people are going to consider them horror and fantasy, respectively.

Video games, yeah, okay, probably so...but looking at the top game sales of 2016 I see a lot of games that aren't sci-fi, too. And even some of the ones that are, like Overwatch...is it popular cause it's sci-fi, or is it a game that happens to be sci-fi that's popular because it was put out by Blizzard, a company with very, very good track record? My money's on the latter.

And literature...well, I'm looking at the NY Times fiction best sellers list of 2016, and...there's a couple of sci-fi books on it? One of which is by Stephen King, so high sales are to be expected no matter what the genre is. And I tell you this, if I go into any of the 3 local book stores around here...the sci-fi and horror sections combined aren't even half as big as the mystery/thriller section at any of them(and all 3 of them lump all the fantasy and sci-fi stuff together).

So yeah, I think "most popular" may be an exaggeration. Sci-fi seems like it is basically a niche genre, that's quite popular among gamers and occasionally happens to break intro wider mainstream popularity(Star Wars, The Matrix, Jurassic Park).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Most popular? I'm not so sure. I mean I guess the comic book movies are technically sci-fi, but they're not the sort of thing most people think of when they think "sci-fi". And there's Star Wars, yeah...but OTOH, the recent Star Treks aren't exactly breaking any records. Neither was Passengers, or Arrival, or 10 Cloverfield Lane, or Terminator Genisys, or Jupiter Ascending(to name a few from the past couple years)...it appears sci-fi is only the most popular movie genre when it involves super-heroes or the words "Star Wars".

As for television...are there any sci-fi shows on that are doing all that well? I mean, I guess if you wanted to stretch typical definitions you could lump TWD and GoT in as sci-fi? I suppose, though most people are going to consider them horror and fantasy, respectively.

Video games, yeah, okay, probably so...but looking at the top game sales of 2016 I see a lot of games that aren't sci-fi, too. And even some of the ones that are, like Overwatch...is it popular cause it's sci-fi, or is it a game that happens to be sci-fi that's popular because it was put out by Blizzard, a company with very, very good track record? My money's on the latter.

And literature...well, I'm looking at the NY Times fiction best sellers list of 2016, and...there's a couple of sci-fi books on it? One of which is by Stephen King, so high sales are to be expected no matter what the genre is. And I tell you this, if I go into any of the 3 local book stores around here...the sci-fi and horror sections combined aren't even half as big as the mystery/thriller section at any of them(and all 3 of them lump all the fantasy and sci-fi stuff together).

So yeah, I think "most popular" may be an exaggeration. Sci-fi seems like it is basically a niche genre, that's quite popular among gamers and occasionally happens to break intro wider mainstream popularity(Star Wars, The Matrix, Jurassic Park).
    Westworld, The Expanse, The 100, The Colony, Stranger Things, The OA. All sci-fi shows doing well even though the last two are on Netflix.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Walmart execs don't know and could care less if sci fi and fantasy requires too much intellect for their clientele. It is strictly about what sells the most with the highest profit margins.

BTW, the same is true for pretty much every market / company. The only point where moral decisions come to the forefront is the moment their is a strong indication that they can get higher profit margins from a niche market (e.g. anti-GMO sentiments has created an immensely profitable "organics" market with substantially better margins). Heck, my local Walgreens sells homeopathic "medications" right beside real medicine...despite having a strong pharmacy aspect for their stores, they don't care that homeopathic medicines don't work, it is all about the profits.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Westworld, The Expanse, The 100, The Colony, Stranger Things, The OA. All sci-fi shows doing well even though the last two are on Netflix.
    The Expanse, The 100, and The Colony are doing fine, but not exceptional. They're not failing, but they certainly don't get the same kinda popularity or attention or amount of people talking about and following them as shows like GoT, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Sons of Anarchy, or network procedural stuff like L&O, NCIS, Criminal Minds, etc do/did. Netflix doesn't have ratings, but while Stranger Things seemed to do well, I barely know ANYONE who pays any attention to The OA, it's hardly a household name.

I'm not sure if Sci-Fi is only for the rich and intelligent. I do like other forms of fiction, however I truly enjoy when my butler reads Science Fiction to me while I stare at my certificate from Mensa.

The highest grossing film of all time is a sci-fi film: Avatar. Seven of the top 10 movie world wide grosses are sci-fi or fantasy if you count comic book movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    The highest grossing film of all time is a sci-fi film: Avatar. Seven of the top 10 movie world wide grosses are sci-fi or fantasy if you count comic book movies.
    Yes, over how many years of cinema? As I said, a few things breach the mainstream, but these are the exceptions, NOT the rule. And as I said, comic book movies are NOT what the vast majority of people think of when they think "sci-fi". I'd argue a lot of people, if asked, "Is Captain America/Ant Man/The Avengers a sci-fi movie?" would answer "no".

Yes, over how many years of cinema? As I said, a few things breach the mainstream, but these are the exceptions, NOT the rule. And as I said, comic book movies are NOT what the vast majority of people think of when they think "sci-fi". I'd argue a lot of people, if asked, "Is Captain America/Ant Man/The Avengers a sci-fi movie?" would answer "no".
    You seem to be stuck on Sci-fi. The topic is Sci-fi and Fantasy. Comic book movies are most definitely fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    You seem to be stuck on Sci-fi. The topic is Sci-fi and Fantasy. Comic book movies are most definitely fantasy.
    Yet that is not what the vast majority of people consider them. You say fantasy, and 95% of the public is going to think Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, GoT, Conan the Barbarian, Wheel of Time, D&D, WoW, etc etc etc...not Captain America, not The Avengers.

Also, the title was edited. It originally just said sci-fi, not fantasy...and truth be told, superhero movies fit into sci-fi more than they do fantasy, and even THEN the average person isn't gonna name The Avengers or Thor or Antman if you ask them to name 10 sci-fi movies.

Yet that is not what the vast majority of people consider them. You say fantasy, and 95% of the public is going to think Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, GoT, Conan the Barbarian, Wheel of Time, D&D, WoW, etc etc etc...not Captain America, not The Avengers.
    I'm just going to assume people generally think of movies as what they are classed as, if you look at IMDB on Captain America, The Avengers etc neither of them are listed as Fantasy but Action, Sci-fi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelia View Post
    I'm just going to assume people generally think of movies as what they are classed as, if you look at IMDB on Captain America, The Avengers etc neither of them are listed as Fantasy but Action, Sci-fi.
    ...Can we keep this topic on BOOKS, please?

On Topic:

Wal Mart, like Target, K-Mart and chain supermarkets in general mostly sell whatever books folks are most likely to buy. Not just in general but the local market. If you want quality books, you're better off going to Barnes & Noble. If you want something specific check Amazon or a mobile app (ebooks).

That said, I would flip the question around: Are Sci Fi and Fantasy the only things people want to read? In general, you don't see much appetite for stuff outside these two and War Novels, Conspiracy Theory/Fringe books and Harliquin Romances. THAT'S a much bigger issue in my book: People are basically choosing trash over substance in bookstores (or the book racks). I'm not talking about impulse buys or folks buying for enjoyment such as say, a Manga or a comic book. I'm not even blaming stores for basically stocking trash books.

...I'm not saying these genres are trash, mind you. In fact, I'm writing a few Sci Fi and Fantasy novels myself actually (LOL). Just saying the overall QUALITY of these types of books, in general are trash. More often than not they're the same books that end up becoming movies down the road (Hunger Games, Divergent, 50 Shades, Twilight, Harry Potter, etc.).

It would be one thing if the source material was well written. In fact, I'm wary of books that take a year or less to write these days thanks to how much easier it is these days to self-publish books online. This is also why so many soccer moms turn to Harliquin to make a quick buck after spending 3-6 months throwing their fantasy scenarios together. The more suggestive the romance scenes are without being explicit, the more inclined that publishing company is to print it. LOL.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D