Gonna wait to see how SMT game turns out, only then will I consider a Switch. Nothing on the horizon makes me want one.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Is it confirmed that its the base version?
    As far as I can tell online its not specified, although I really wouldnt doubt it.

Mario Kart 8 has no new tracks apparently, just battle mode and like 4 new characters.
    Trying to hunt down 100% confirmation (basing my post off of what others in the thread are posting). Rewatched the Todd Howard video bit and he only called the game Skyrim, not Skyrim HD/Remaster, and I can't imagine he wouldn't specify the version of the game when making the official announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Trying to hunt down 100% confirmation (basing my post off of what others in the thread are posting). Rewatched the Todd Howard video bit and he only called the game Skyrim, not Skyrim HD/Remaster, and I can't imagine he wouldn't specify the version of the game when making the official announcement.
    You can look at the Gameplay video's they showed and tell it isn't the Remastered version. It mite be slightly better then the original but it isn't what Ps4/XB1 got. Now will that change before release who knows.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And just like candy and burgers are two different classes, likewise with Nintendo vs MS and Sony.
    Sorry but no, that's not how this works.

Nintendo,Sony and Microsoft will always be competing with each other. Doesn't matter if you like it or not, they are competing for the same audience/costomers.

Your opinion doesn't change this fact.

There home console and games will always be compared to the competitions home console and games. That means they are competing in the same market.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

If you believe that then you believe Hershey and McD compete as well. It is just as reductive.
    Does Hershey have a fast food outlet that makes burgers? If so then ya Hershey does compete with Mc Donald's.

Nintendo: Makes Consoles and Video Games.
    Sony: Makes Consoles and Video Games.
    Microsoft: Makes Consoles and Video Games.

All 3 complete in the same market, I can't dumb this down anymore for you then I already have.

Anything inside a Gamestop store is completing with EVERYTHING else in that store. Ya know XB1 Vs PS4 Vs Switch...

Won't be replying to this anyone because your clueless if you think different.

well done Nintendo, was legit looking forward to buying the switch at launch but got damn that online service is fuuuucking insulting. not to mention that piss poor line up of lunch titles, I mean sure, Splatoon 2 and Zelda but nothing else they have is interesting to me, especially that motion control gimmick fuckery.

--snip--
    Whatever dude you clearly don't understand how this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Whatever dude you clearly don't understand how this works.
    Dude, they're totally not competing with MS and Sony. Do MS and Sony have Skyrim on THEIR consoles? [If anyone can't see the joke here, there's no helping you.]
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Dude, they're totally not competing with MS and Sony. Do MS and Sony have Skyrim on THEIR consoles? [If anyone can't see the joke here, there's no helping you.]
    lol

/10char...

Says the guy who thinks a portable console is trying to compete directly with XB1 and PS4...
    Nintendo is admitting as much by marketing it as a home console. It's directly in competition with the Xbox One and PS4 for shelf space in front of a TV.

If they didn't want to have it compete against them, they'd be marketing it as a replacement handheld console for the 3DS that can be used as a home console as a secondary feature.

Like it or not, they're in the same space as Microsoft and Sony. It's Burger King vs. McDonald's vs. Wendy's vs. Jack in the Box. No clue why you bring Hershey into your comparison, it's entirely irrelevant.

No, if they were admitting as much it'd be strictly a console with no portable features. Since it's a handheld in addition to a home console it's clearly not the same thing.
    But the handheld nature is a secondary feature, it's primarily being marketed and messaged as a home console.

Again, your issue is with Nintendo here, not any of us. Get angry that Nintendo is positioning it in direct competition to the Xbox One and PS4.

No, my issue is with people thinking fast food is trying to compete with fine dining. They're two different things offering different services. Yes, both are offering food. That's highly reductive though and not really paying attention to nuance at all. Same thing here.
    Except that this isn't a matter of fast food vs. fine dining. If you wanted to make that comparison, it would have been with the wave of Android based consoles that was a thing for a hot minute 3-4 years back before that market cratered out and stopped existing for the most part.

Nintendo is very much in competition with Microsoft and Sony on the home console front, despite what Nintendo fans have been saying for years about Nintendo being "different". The market doesn't give a shit.

And it's being marketed as both. Every bit of press has people playing the games on the go in addition to on their TV. If they were marketing it primarily as a home console the focus wouldn't be on both.
    It's being marketed as a home console first and foremost, read Nintendo's official comments on the matter. All the positioning and messaging is centered around the Switch as a home console that can be used as a portable as a feature, not a portable console that can be used as a home console as a feature.

Yes, both aspects are on show, but again, you would need to take your issue up with Nintendo. Since it seems like they're the ones you have the issue with, not everyone else.

The better comparison would be if a car was competing with a van, in my opinion, not Hershey and McD.

i find it very unlikely that skyrim wouldnt have the expansions with it. that would be the biggest fuck you to anyone ever.

but i dont see how it not having the same graphics as the "remastered" version makes any kind of difference. the remastered version already pales in comparison to mods it was and always will be a cheap shill put out by bethesda to try to milk some more money out of it inbetween elder scroll games. the only actual new content it brought to consoles was some new mods. the bonus factor of it being on switch is purely it being portable otherwise if you play skyrim on console you're wasting your time. thats why they gave it away for free on pc they knew nobody would buy it when it literally did fuck all for anyone who knew how to make the game prettier themselves.

might as well have been a straight port like the switch version for ps4 and xbox one tbh
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's being marketed as a home console first and foremost, read Nintendo's official comments on the matter. All the positioning and messaging is centered around the Switch as a home console that can be used as a portable as a feature, not a portable console that can be used as a home console as a feature.

Yes, both aspects are on show, but again, you would need to take your issue up with Nintendo. Since it seems like they're the ones you have the issue with, not everyone else.
    It doesn't help that they keep going on about how they're not abandoning the 3DS brand while they're clearly abandoning the Wii-U, what with ceasing production and porting games from the Wii-U. They should be marketing it as THE Nintendo console instead of as "a new brand" alongside their handheld brand (but not their Wii-U brand). I guess it would probably piss off all the people that bought New 3DSes, but that's the customers' fault for buying a console that clearly had little to no future.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Nintendo Switch basically IS one of those Android based systems...
    Except that it's not being marketed or positioned as such.

Again, your issue is with Nintendo and how they are marketing and messaging the system. You seem to be the only one here that refuses to accept that fact and you keep posting as if it's going to change anything.

It's not, it's still going to be marketed as a home console that can function as a handheld as a secondary feature. It's not being marketed as a cheap alternative to a home console (as the Android consoles were), because it's not a cheap alternative to a home console. That's one of the reason that Nintendo is still going after more "core" gamers with Skyrim (whether it be the original or remastered version) and getting Fifa on the console etc.

No, my issue is with people thinking fast food is trying to compete with fine dining. They're two different things offering different services. Yes, both are offering food. That's highly reductive though and not really paying attention to nuance at all. Same thing here.

And it's being marketed as both. Every bit of press has people playing the games on the go in addition to on their TV. If they were marketing it primarily as a home console the focus wouldn't be on both.
    I don't buy more than one console per generation, because I do enough of my gaming on the PC that I don't have a use for more than one Console.

I'll be buying the Nintendo Switch. I will not be buying any of the Sony or Microsoft systems, because the Nintendo Switch will fill that role for me.

But you're right, they're clearly not in competition with each other because they're not physically identical with completely identical marketing schemes.

Deleted
    i'm interested to see where the switch will go in terms of usage.
    being a hybrid device with both plug in and play and on the move capabilities i'm going to assume that consumers themselves had a pretty large impact on Nintendo's current design decision.
    seeing as how the Wii-U was a pretty big flop, mainly because of it's poor lineup and lacking third party support (which, mind you, we haven't seen much of for the switch line up either.) it did, however, form the baseline for the switch. seeing that people actually used their Wii-U as a portable device in some cases. (we've all seen the photo's of that one guy sitting in the corner of some convention with his Wii-U plugged in the wall socket happily playing on the tablet controller)
    this is just the next step up from that.

also, to adres the somewhat rampant discussion going on about Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft and their competing market share.

subjectively speaking, the Switch is a home console.
    and for most people/family's it's "either" not "both" so they will be competing from a consumer stand point.

from an objective point, the Switch, and Nintendo as a whole, is currently not competing against Sony and Microsoft.
    it is what the company has stated many a time before, and looking at their release schedule and hardware lineup we can see they haven't tried directly competing with another console manufacturer since the Gamecube, that combined with the entire new focus group that the Wii managed to intrigue and get into gaming (yes 60+ playing Wii Bowling was actually a pretty decent chunk of their eventual consumer base.)
    we can only assume that Nintendo is trying something like that again but for a different focus group.

however, with the current announcement's of the switch and it's price tag it seems investor's in the company are bailing ship, presumably fearing another Wii-U like flop.
    then again, seeing the last E3 most trending #, Zelda: Breath of the Wild was even more popular than Battlefield 1, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn and even (slightly more popular than) the new God of War. al that, despite not even knowing the system it was going to be running on at the time.

time will tell, i for one will most likely get one, if my budget allows it.

It's being marketed as a console I can grab and go with. I can also use it to play on my TV. What marketing have you seen that says you can't use it as a portable system?
    None. It's like you aren't even reading what I'm writing. Here's some links of Nintendo calling it a home console first, and not a handheld first -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/swi.../1100-6446967/
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/10...fast-nintendo/

Notice that they've been talking about it as a home console replacing the Wii U and not a handheld console replacing the 3DS for the past 3+ months? That nothing has changed during that time?

I know they're avoiding calling it a handheld, but that's a marketing move so they can keep selling 3DS units for now.
    Agreed, but that doesn't change the fact that by marketing it as a home console it's going to be in direct competition with the Xbox One and PS4, especially with its price point of $300. Average Jane and Jack aren't going to parse the more subtle nuance, they'll look at the way Nintendo positions it in their advertising and at retailers and take that at face value. Yes, the portable nature of the console will always play into that, but it's not being marketed as a handheld console specifically for the reason you stated. And that may end up harming them in the longer term if it doesn't move enough units early on.

No, my point is that they fill different spaces in the marketplace.
    Thanks for admitting they are in the same market place and just do a different thing.......

They are still in competition with Sony and Microsoft. Notice how Sony does shit different then Microsoft and yet are in competition with them.....

Holy shit its almost like even tho these company's are in competition with each other they go about it a different way.....

Shocker I know.

See how they're advertising it as portable even though it's not a replacement for the 3DS? They're both going to exist alongside each other.
    The 3DS is a dead system, the only reason Nintendo hasn't made that official is because if The Switch fails they can fall back on it.

After Yoshi next month there is NO first party titles coming to the 3DS. Its a dead system and to be honest while I love it, its about time. The 3DS is like 6 years old and the hardware is clearly slowing.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-01-17 at 03:19 AM.