Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets sum up the Food Stamp program really fast:

Do people on food stamps eat differently than your average American? No

Does the food stamp program have a significant effect on the US budget? No

Would cutting the food stamp program cost the tax payer more money? Yes, paying for hospitalization due to malnutrition due to starvation, and death is more expensive than providing a means to buy bead and milk.

Why are people on food stamps? A profitable company, that pays nothing in taxes wanted to move into Small Town USA to 'create jobs.' They got the local Government to subsidize their building of their place of business. They then hired 300 employees at minimum wage, and 40 salaried workers at just above a livable wage. The Government has to step in and subsidize the 300 workers food, housing, and income that the company making money doesn't pay for, and they have to do it without taxes that the company would pay. The Government is already in the hole for building their place of business, and then they're going to give them a bonus 'tax break' for creating all these jobs.

Conclusion of Republicans and Libertarians: Clearly the working class is at fault for not trying hard enough. Give the company another tax break and see if it solves anything. Throw in a tax rate cut on the upper 10% of the tax payers than run the company too, so they can upgrade their jumbo jet. May be it will trickle down to the working class guy. Why would it trickle down? Well because... EMAILS AND BENGHAZI!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    didn't want to cook when we got off work..
    since when didnt want to = cant because dont knwo how ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Healthy food is more expensive.

Two, who the hell cares? It is that important to regulate what people in poverty eat? Is it going to prevent them from having a job if they buy a soda?
    What, you really think they give a shit about what impoverished people eat? They are "undeserving" in their eyes, they consider them sub-human. Their argument is over 300 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

It's interesting when people say things like "well per calorie, these are the cheapest foods to eat." Do people really think that calculation is happening? This is a great example of seeing an effect and backing into the cause. Sure, that might be a calculation someone did, but do you think the type of person who is willing and able to do calorie per dollar calculations on food isn't also the type of person to stop and say "well these are empty calories, so this is a meaningless calculation?"

If you are really strapped you can buy a 50 lb bag of potatoes/rice, tons of canned vegetables/fruit, and frozen chicken for much higher quality food than soda and chips.

Unfortunately the administrative time associated with filtering and monitoring food stamp usage far outweighs the benefits. All you can do is hope people help themselves. How hard is it to go to a free wifi place/library and google "how to eat healthy on the cheap" and you'll get tons of articles on how to do it. And none of them include soda or junk food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    since when didnt want to = cant because dont knwo how ?
    You didn't say "Don't Know How" you said someone unable to cook for themselves.

Time constraints made us unable to cook for ourselves....We hired a cook.

To you that makes us mentally challenged. Unless it was your goal to insult both ends of the economic spectrum?

Quote Originally Posted by Madwolf View Post
    Lets sum up the Food Stamp program really fast:

Do people on food stamps eat differently than your average American? No

Does the food stamp program have a significant effect on the US budget? No

Would cutting the food stamp program cost the tax payer more money? Yes, paying for hospitalization due to malnutrition due to starvation, and death is more expensive than providing a means to buy bead and milk.

Why are people on food stamps? A profitable company, that pays nothing in taxes wanted to move into Small Town USA to 'create jobs.' They got the local Government to subsidize their building of their place of business. They then hired 300 employees at minimum wage, and 40 salaried workers at just above a livable wage. The Government has to step in and subsidize the 300 workers food, housing, and income that the company making money doesn't pay for, and they have to do it without taxes that the company would pay. The Government is already in the hole for building their place of business, and then they're going to give them a bonus 'tax break' for creating all these jobs.

Conclusion of Republicans and Libertarians: Clearly the working class is at fault for not trying hard enough. Give the company another tax break and see if it solves anything. Throw in a tax rate cut on the upper 10% of the tax payers than run the company too, so they can upgrade their jumbo jet. May be it will trickle down to the working class guy. Why would it trickle down? Well because... EMAILS AND BENGHAZI!
    I have a friend who has been on food stamps for 14 years now, he buys nothing but Soda, chips, and other junk food, he's now 800lbs. I would think it would be cheaper to give him the money he needs and force him to buy healthy food Vs paying his medical cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a friend who has been on food stamps for 14 years now, he buys nothing but Soda, chips, and other junk food, he's now 800lbs. I would think it would be cheaper to give him the money he needs and force him to buy healthy food Vs paying his medical cost.
    That doesn't sound like a blatant lie at all. /s

It's the truth, he's been on disability because he's overweight, when he first got on it he was 425lbs.

15+ Year Old Account
    He's projecting. I'd put money down that Zenkai has some old chips lodged underneath his man tits right now.

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-01-17 at 05:52 PM.
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Rice, dried beans, pasta were staples in my diet for almost 2 years

I'm guessing you've never done this and are speaking from ignorance
    As a student, I did not had much money to spend, either, so yes, I was mostly eating rice, potatoes and pasta with some vegetables when I was not using the subsidized cantene on campus. I did not buy any soda, but only occasional fruit juice, and for anything else, water, tea and (instant) coffee were sufficient. For proteins, I had eggs and milk / dairy products.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    People can't cook. Many can't taste. Popular culture teaches all the wrong things. Adverts make everything even worse.

It's easy to each cheaply. It's easy to have a victory garden, even on a window sill. Everyone can at least grow herbs.

Most people should eat mainly vegetables. Eat some fruit. Eat meat occasionally, 2-4 times a month. Nuts, dairy, eggs, etc. Combo rice and beans to replace meat. Take a multivitamin just in case.

Easy peasy.

Of course most people are complete idiots.

- - - Updated - - -

I know and generally agree with where you are coming from, but the whole point of civilization is to do things together cooperatively. When I hear folks talk about less government or some other obstructionist bullshit I know that what they really want is the law of the jungle - which, of course, they would never survive. Such people are 100% morons.

I don't mind banding together to get things done, as long as we respect the little guy just as much as the 1% - which has never happened in all of human history, of course.

Gotta say, I am not that interested in micromanaging the finances or grocery shopping habits of people on the dole. There's this thing called respect, if not for the individual precisely then for the theoretical rights they possess.
    Funny thing is that historical research shows that cooperative societies fare better than egoistical. This moronic idea that everybody being an egoist magically increases the welfare of everybody is bullshit, because you know, we would be constantly trapped in prisoner's dilemma scenarios without cooperation and loyalty.

Madwolf is, of course, pointing up the factual issues surrounding Walmart. Grease the right hands for profit. But paying a non-living wage is not sustainable in the long run.

Sometimes I think politicians should be held financially accountable for the actions they set in motion.

The real problem is the modern conception of a corporation and how few limits exist to curtail the bad policy that develops around artificially sustaining these fictitious entities. I would personally favor going back to the idea of setting up corporations by charter, for a term of years or as long as they serve a public good. The minute a corporation is a drain, buh-bye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, am I crazy to think that this is not a problem? I mean if they are still buying the necessities then what's the problem with spending the rest on some happy junk food? I could understand if they were spending ALL the money from the food stamps on junk food but this isn't happening from what I read in the OP. Most of the money supplied by the food stamp is going toward the important foods and it seems like whatever money they have left over they spend on the junk food. I mean are they not allowed to have a little joy in their lives? I find it to be a little hypocritical because EVERYONE eats some kind of junk food and I'm sure they enjoy eating it so much that they'll keep buying it whenever it's time to go grocery shopping. Also put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you rather live like you still have a life and not like you're living in the medieval times eating meat and bread in your wooden shack?

Anyway why are people are so worried about what other people are buying? Who the fuck cares? Is there seriously nothing else to be concerned with that is more important than someone buying a bag of potato chips?
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-01-17 at 07:48 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Taxable, nonessential goods should not be purchasable with government benefits. When I worked as a cashier I was disgusted by what people bought with food stamps. While I worked for shit wages (but still not poor enough to be eligible for benefits), I watched unemployed people come in with their kids and buy Ghirardelli chocolate at $5 / bar, macadamia nuts at over $8 / jar, and other absurdly expensive nonessentials. Shit that I couldn't even afford to eat while working full time. Quite frankly, they should trash the SNAP program and convert everything over to how WIC works. You get a coupon that tells you exactly what you can buy, and you get that and only that.

Deleted
    You know what's cheaper than Soda and 1000x better for you? Water.
    That is true. but to be fair, i have heard many places in American the tap water is borderline poisonous. and if not that, atleast taste poorly.
    But what is Cheaper and "better" for you is not always what is what you want. and As humans we are allowed to enjoy small stuff as that.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    That is true. but to be fair, i have heard many places in American the tap water is borderline poisonous. and if not that, atleast taste poorly.
    But what is Cheaper and "better" for you is not always what is what you want. and As humans we are allowed to enjoy small stuff as that.
    Many? Like one or 2, even so, 1 gallon of drinking water is half the price of a 2 litter of coke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many? Like one or 2
    More like one or 2 thousand.

Or more.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Many? Like one or 2, even so, 1 gallon of drinking water is half the price of a 2 litter of coke.
    Well, it's a lot more than 1 or 2, depending on your definition of "borderline". The water at my house is super high in arsenic and sulfur, and while it's not outright "poisonous", I sure as hell won't drink it.

But yeah, drinking water is way cheaper. I get mine for $1/5gal.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    2 thousand out of 160k, that is scary but my second point still stands, it's cheaper to buy a gallon of drinking water vs a 2 liter of soda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its even cheaper to just drink from the faucet in your kitchen. SNAP shouldnt even be allowed to be used on bottled water

For your "friend", sure. For the vast majority of others on SNAP, ends up being a waste of money and effort to limit what can be purchased through EBT. All these restrictions and fusses because people are buying soda and chips with EBT. Anything else preventing you from sleeping at night?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.