Quote Originally Posted by tyrs ankle View Post
    You couldn't get achievments before WoTLK prepatch.
    This is an obviously abandoned toon.
    I played pve, not pvp. I have rank 6 from fucking around.
    However, achievments were retroactive, so having vanilla pvp achievments on a level 70 toon that is visible on the armory shows that I did, indeed, play vanilla.

I was actually looking forward to the mental gymnastics and you did not disappoint.

Lol I went into my bank, scourgestones, frayed abom stitchings, the trinket to see the undead @ scholomance. Good times.
    I pointed out exactly what you did, that achievements were not around then. So what you provided not only was not proof, it was not a good attempt at providing proof. Something that might have been better would have been a screenshot with something that only existed in Vanilla, or to a zone with a 40 man raid or wearing raid gear in a Vanilla zone pre cata. But that is not even a logical attempt at proof. Nor or Scourgestones, frayed abom stitchings or the trinket, since all could be obtained in BC. Thus, you may have actually played in Vanilla, but your attempts to prove that you did by providing things that easily could have been obtained by not experiencing much of vanilla do not prove much.

For example I did not pvp much in Vanilla. I was horde side, and had pvp achievements for rankings. I probably did all of them pre level 40. Thus, you are not doing much by proving your mediocre rank 6. My god I was rank 5 and barely pvp'd.

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    It's about everything related to the programmation code, addons, old options, low resolution, old os, old drivers/directx, file system, account protection, account restoration tools, server transfer, shop, Wow Armory, Mobiles Apps, etc...

Of course you can use an old client connecting to an old server, but people will complain about "Hey why I cannot see my toon on WoW Armory?, etc..."
    What on earth are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Did you get the feat of strength for a PvP rank that was removed in Vanilla from transferring?
    yes i have those, was reitmeister with my hunter , which wasnt my tbc main (think rank 10 or so, mostly from having a lot of fun in hourlong avs with realmfirst t2 complete ´+ ashjere thul)

It's not about "Having Arrow for hunters, or water stacks, or epic gear like Tier2 or 3", old pvp system, eating every mobs...
    I dunno im 10 years they maybe topped Paladin teir 2 twice total; the end of Cata PvP season (s10?) set and the t6 set from Black Temple are probably the only contenders :P They even borked up the t12 do-over version by putting a big strudel over the mask....

(disclaimer: The above post is purely intended to be light-hearted)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    yes i have those, was reitmeister with my hunter , which wasnt my tbc main (think rank 10 or so, mostly from having a lot of fun in hourlong avs with realmfirst t2 complete ´+ ashjere thul)
    No my point was; oh nvm...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    He's saying it isn't the old gameplay aspects that make Vanilla dated in 2016 its the more "out-of-character" quality of life improvements like server stability and account security and the like that do so. Using the example that the lack of "WoW-Armory" for vanilla toons would show the game up as "out-of-date".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    I have played WoW for almost 12 years now and while I do like the more recent expansions, I still feel like the game had so much more to it back in the day.

I have played both vanilla and legion recently and I can honestly tell I enjoy vanilla more even though Legion is a pretty good expansion on it's own. I just feel like over the years so much has been streamlined and removed for the sake of accessibility that it cost the game a part of its soul. Where vanilla WoW feels like a huge adventure but also an imbalanced game where it took a lot of time to get things done and felt so much more rewarding once you did it, Legion feels a streamlined "get into the action quick" game. Where vanilla feels like huge world to me with so much spirit and content, Legion feels like I'm hopping from hub to hub to get to max level quickly so I can move on to do only instanced content, for the most part (although Legion did make some steps towards making the world more relevant again).

Things like feeding pets, reagents, agro management and so much more seem like such a hassle and got removed for the sake of accessibility but removed a big part of what made WoW an RPG. These days, while very enjoyable, it feels more like an action game where you jump into the action the moment you log in, but there isn't a whole lot left of what made WoW a great RPG.

With that said, I guess there is no comparing the two as, strangely enough, it feels like two completely different games. While I do enjoy both vanilla and Legion, I just feel like vanilla, despite all of its flaws, is more enjoyable to me. The fact that things ask for a bigger time investment makes me feel more connected to both my character and the world around me. Little things like restocking on arrows/reagents, inventory management, spending a lot of time farming for stuff and developing your character might sound like the stuff of nightmares to a lot of people, but I personally like these things and it makes me feel like I'm truly invested in my character which is on a great adventure in a big world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabever View Post
    I pointed out exactly what you did, that achievements were not around then. So what you provided not only was not proof, it was not a good attempt at providing proof. Something that might have been better would have been a screenshot with something that only existed in Vanilla, or to a zone with a 40 man raid or wearing raid gear in a Vanilla zone pre cata. But that is not even a logical attempt at proof. Nor or Scourgestones, frayed abom stitchings or the trinket, since all could be obtained in BC. Thus, you may have actually played in Vanilla, but your attempts to prove that you did by providing things that easily could have been obtained by not experiencing much of vanilla do not prove much.

For example I did not pvp much in Vanilla. I was horde side, and had pvp achievements for rankings. I probably did all of them pre level 40. Thus, you are not doing much by proving your mediocre rank 6. My god I was rank 5 and barely pvp'd.
    2/10, please at least try harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    You want Vanilla, Vanilla is Vanilla.

Remove Battle.net software and install WoW.exe
    Say goodbye to WoW Armory website link.
    Say goodbye to your favorite addons.
    Say goodbye to all options you enjoy right now.
    Say goodbye to your guild finder
    Say goodbye to Battle.net RealID
    Say goodbye to Your Iphone Application posting Auctions without logging.
    Say goodbye to Your Key Login Authentificator.
    Say goodbye to Battle.net inter-server chat
    Say goodbye to almost everything you like right now.
    Say goodbye to in-game support
    Say goodbye to achievements, to stats.
    Say goodbye to Shop
    Say goodbye to Newest Directx
    Say goodbye to new graphics options that you enjoy, like water effect, rain, distance.
    Say goodbye to WoWhead, Icyveins, Ranks sites, DPS meter, DBM.
    Say goodbye to Quests helper
    etc...

Say hello to thottbot, allkazham
    Say hello to people exploiting known bugs
    Say hello to unfixed bugs
    Say hello to old WoW.

This is Vanilla. Which version do you want? You want it vanilla or fixed?
    I guess you want pre-AQ event up forever too, or you want it to reset every x months?

I think you want current wow with Vanilla settings instead, it's not working like that.

Or you want to Feel Vanilla wow again, but this is gone, anyway you have changed, you are 12 years older too. You cant return to the past.

Vanilla is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabever View Post
    I pointed out exactly what you did, that achievements were not around then. So what you provided not only was not proof, it was not a good attempt at providing proof. Something that might have been better would have been a screenshot with something that only existed in Vanilla, or to a zone with a 40 man raid or wearing raid gear in a Vanilla zone pre cata.
    Ok. Real slowly so you can understand: achievements were added with the Wrath pre-patch, ok? Ok. Now, when the Wrath pre-patch hit, achievements were added retroactively. Do you know what retroactively means? It means credit was given for actions taken in the past. Ok? Ok. So, in the screenshot we see feat of strength achievements. PvP-related FoS achievements. Related to PvP titles. Ok? Ok. Since PvP titles were removed in the TBC pre-patch, and the screenshot shows he has the vanilla PvP title achievements, based on all we learned here, what is the only possible conclusion? That he played during vanilla WoW and earned those PvP titles, which means when achievements were added to the game, he was retroactively awarded those PvP FoS achievements.

Then show your vanilla PvP achievement, please? Just showing the Grunt achievement would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenoxar View Post
    It is thought people don't miss classic wow. They miss the old good times from 10+ years ago, not classic wow itself. Is it true?
    Mostly.

I do indeed miss the good ole days, but the thought of going back makes me cringe.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could have also linked the achievements instead of posting a pic. This is my character and guess what, I out rank you. Time to sit down and listen to your master, since you're pulling this bullshit out. You haven't even touched that character since TBC. But whatever, it's all pointless but I'll give you a +1 if you can figure out where my transmog is from.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nt#15234:15279

Anyway, it's hard to prove that Vanilla was harder when you don't go back and revisit the game. I have to say I was shocked to find out that Vanilla was indeed much harder than I thought. Sometimes in life you have to revisit the past to see things with different eyes, cause there's a good chance it's not how you remembered it. Like the original Thundercats where I went back to watch the episodes and turns out it's way better then I remember it. That's not always the case, like revisiting Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles from the 90's turns out to be much worse then I remembered.

That's the funny thing about memory in that sometimes a memory is based on remembering that memory and not the actual memory itself. At some point you corrupt that memory and things aren't as you remember them.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2017-01-17 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    You could have also linked the achievements instead of posting a pic. This is my character and guess what, I out rank you. Time to sit down and listen to your master, since you're pulling this bullshit out. You haven't even touched that character since TBC. But whatever, it's all pointless but I'll give you a +1 if you can figure out where my transmog is from.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nt#15234:15279

Anyway, it's hard to prove that Vanilla was harder when you don't go back and revisit the game. I have to say I was shocked to find out that Vanilla was indeed much harder than I thought. Sometimes in life you have to revisit the past to see things with different eyes, cause there's a good chance it's not how you remembered it. Like the original Thundercats where I went back to watch the episodes and turns out it's way better then I remember it. That's not always the case, like revisiting Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles from the 90's turns out to be much worse then I remembered.

That's the funny thing about memory in that sometimes a memory is based on remembering that memory and not the actual memory itself. At some point you corrupt that memory and things aren't as you remember them.
    It's "harder", just like how it's more difficult to eat scalding hot food barehanded.
    and no one cares about your unremarkable transmog, dude.

inb4 more mental gymnastics
    Last edited by tyrs ankle; 2017-01-17 at 05:52 PM.

The only thing i liked about classic wow more than now, was the feeling of actual progression in your character. i felt like i was getting stronger while i lvled. and while i was getting gear. dont really feel that anymore. BUT that was mainly due to the fact i came directly from Final Fantasy 11. which had teh worst progression. the worst gear progression. and had the worst user interface ever. plus it was unforgiving. its why i latched on to wow in teh first place. it was so much easier.

You want Vanilla, Vanilla is Vanilla.

Say goodbye to WoW Armory website link. And i need that for..... help me out here please...
    Say goodbye to your favorite addons. nope, got them all, can link you a sweet database for different versions of the game if you
    Say goodbye to all options you enjoy right now. like lfg, lfr, pet battles, etc? nope, dont enjoy them, i'm thankfull for not having them
    Say goodbye to your guild finder Lol cause paying atention to the general chat or searching recruitment forums is serious business
    Say goodbye to Battle.net RealID omg without that i lose the friends i have on my friends list playing on my server! OH WAIT!
    Say goodbye to Your Iphone Application posting Auctions without logging. I'll miss that for sure... because everyone posts auctions remotely and it's so needed
    Say goodbye to Your Key Login Authentificator. "two factor" authentication works just fine
    Say goodbye to Battle.net inter-server chat actually this one i might miss, but since i don't know ppl on other realms and my realm is so well populated...
    Say goodbye to almost everything you like right now. already did, and it wasnt much tbh
    Say goodbye to in-game support why? it exists!
    Say goodbye to achievements, to stats. THANK GOD FOR THAT!
    Say goodbye to Shop never used it
    Say goodbye to Newest Directx yup... i'll miss the state of the art graphics WoW Legion has
    Say goodbye to new graphics options that you enjoy, like water effect, rain, distance. Goodbye
    Say goodbye to WoWhead, Icyveins, Ranks sites, DPS meter, DBM. say hello to db.vanillagaming.org, and tons of fan site you have no clue about
    Say goodbye to Quests helper Say hello to Questie

Seriously not trying to bash you, but you seem to assume a lot and know very little.

Done, I've never used battle.net to launch WoW.

Say goodbye to WoW Armory website link.
    Not a problem. I view my character ingame, not in a browser.

Say goodbye to your favorite addons.
    All my favorite addons exist in vanilla versions. If not I can code my own addons.

Say goodbye to all options you enjoy right now.
    Like?

Say goodbye to your guild finder
    I've never used a guild finder, does one exist?

Say goodbye to Battle.net RealID
    Fine by me. I don't use it.

Say goodbye to Your Iphone Application posting Auctions without logging.
    I don't use it. I do all my auctions ingame. And I don't have an iPhone.

Say goodbye to Your Key Login Authentificator.
    Don't use one. I have a well thought out password policy.

Say goodbye to Battle.net inter-server chat
    What's that?

Say goodbye to almost everything you like right now.
    I only like raiding right now, I don't think I have to say goodbye to that.

Say goodbye to in-game support
    Why? I doubt Blizzard would run legacy servers without GMs. Even private servers have in game support.

Say goodbye to achievements, to stats.
    Good riddance, I've never ever cared about one single achievement I've gotten. I honestly don't know why they're in the game, it's kinda pointless.

Say goodbye to Shop
    This I would like to have removed from the retail game as well. You buy the game, you pay a monthly subscription, we shouldn't have a damn cash shop on top of that.

Say goodbye to Newest Directx
    If it doesn't affect performance I don't see why it would matter. I ran WoW with DX9 for a year without realizing they had implemented DX11, and when I switched I noticed no difference at all.

Say goodbye to new graphics options that you enjoy, like water effect, rain, distance.
    There are ways to increase these things on the vanilla WoW client. And I'd gladly give up better looking water to get immersive vanilla weather effects back.

Say goodbye to WoWhead, Icyveins, Ranks sites, DPS meter, DBM.
    db.vanillagaming.org have everything I need, it replaces WoWhead. I don't know what you mean by rank sites but I'm pretty sure I don't use them. DPS meter and DBM (or rather bigwigs) exists in vanilla.

Say goodbye to Quests helper
    The addon Questie for vanilla is literally a quest helper.

Say hello to thottbot, allkazham
    No need, I have db.vanillagaming.org.

Say hello to people exploiting known bugs
    Like?

Say hello to unfixed bugs
    Like?

Say hello to old WoW.
    Gladly!

This is Vanilla. Which version do you want? You want it vanilla or fixed?
    I want vanilla.

I guess you want pre-AQ event up forever too, or you want it to reset every x months?
    A progressive server would be fine. Releasing the content as previous content is cleared.

I think you want current wow with Vanilla settings instead, it's not working like that.
    God no! I don't want updated character models, LFG/LFR or any of that crap. The only feature from retail I miss is auto-loot without having to hold down shift.

Or you want to Feel Vanilla wow again, but this is gone, anyway you have changed, you are 12 years older too. You cant return to the past.
    Playing it as we speak. It's not gone, and I haven't changed, the game has. I enjoy vanilla just as much as I did 12 years ago. I haven't enjoyed WoW this much since Wotlk to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrs ankle View Post
    It's "harder", just like how it's more difficult to eat scalding hot food barehanded.
    I wonder how you feel about Dark Souls series? Cause it's a scalding hot food, guarded by a badass knight.

and no one cares about your unremarkable transmog, dude.
    It was a test to prove your Vanillaness. Oh well you failed. It was Basutei from Illegal Danish. Back when Blessing of Protection wasn't Hand of Protection, which I think they renamed it back to Blessing of Protection. "Hey Baby I got Blessing of Protection".

For the life of me I'll never understand why the retarded mmo champ mods even allow these threads to exist since they always, always turn into a shitstorm.
    Anyway whatever, ban inc

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how you feel about Dark Souls series? Cause it's a scalding hot food, guarded by a badass knight.

It was a test to prove your Vanillaness. Oh well you failed. It was Basutei from Illegal Danish. Back when Blessing of Protection wasn't Hand of Protection, which I think they renamed it back to Blessing of Protection. "Hey Baby I got Blessing of Protection".
    I'm not a colossal faggot so I don't watch shitty machinima, sorry.

RE: dark souls, the souls franchise has gotten better every addon. I don't see people saying DS was better than DS3/bloodborne.
    Christ, yall here are retarded beyond belief. The mental gymnastics are astounding.

INFRACTION
    Last edited by Saracens; 2017-01-17 at 08:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziktus View Post
    I have played WoW for almost 12 years now and while I do like the more recent expansions, I still feel like the game had so much more to it back in the day.

I have played both vanilla and legion recently and I can honestly tell I enjoy vanilla more even though Legion is a pretty good expansion on it's own. I just feel like over the years so much has been streamlined and removed for the sake of accessibility that it cost the game a part of its soul. Where vanilla WoW feels like a huge adventure but also an imbalanced game where it took a lot of time to get things done and felt so much more rewarding once you did it, Legion feels a streamlined "get into the action quick" game. Where vanilla feels like huge world to me with so much spirit and content, Legion feels like I'm hopping from hub to hub to get to max level quickly so I can move on to do only instanced content, for the most part (although Legion did make some steps towards making the world more relevant again).

Things like feeding pets, reagents, agro management and so much more seem like such a hassle and got removed for the sake of accessibility but removed a big part of what made WoW an RPG. These days, while very enjoyable, it feels more like an action game where you jump into the action the moment you log in, but there isn't a whole lot left of what made WoW a great RPG.

With that said, I guess there is no comparing the two as, strangely enough, it feels like two completely different games. While I do enjoy both vanilla and Legion, I just feel like vanilla, despite all of its flaws, is more enjoyable to me. The fact that things ask for a bigger time investment makes me feel more connected to both my character and the world around me. Little things like restocking on arrows/reagents, inventory management, spending a lot of time farming for stuff and developing your character might sound like the stuff of nightmares to a lot of people, but I personally like these things and it makes me feel like I'm truly invested in my character which is on a great adventure in a big world.
    When someone asks me why i prefer Vanilla, i always have hard time saying everything that made it for me. Too much to say, but this text is a pretty sweet summary of some of the things that i enjoy as well. Nicely put

This is my general feeling too. The last couple of years it feels like Blizzard have been trying to cater to a crowd that doesn't even like RPGs in the first place because they're bigger in numbers but in the process they've alienated the people that fell in love with the game when it first launched.
    I've made this point since WotLK : Blizzard has designed WoW starting from 3.0, for people who didn't like WoW in the first place (to attract them to the game while they weren't interested before).
    So yeah, it attracted a ton of people who didn't like Vanilla and TBC, but at the same time it made tons of people who actually did, leave (which is also the reason why I think WotLK's sub stayed stagnant, the new players taking the place of the old ones).

So obviously, people who like Vanilla and people who like post-WotLK WoW look at each other with weird stares and wonder how the other group can like the game they like.

You could have also linked the achievements instead of posting a pic. This is my character and guess what, I out rank you. Time to sit down and listen to your master, since you're pulling this bullshit out.
    It isn't a dick measuring competition...He linked it to show he was a player from Vanilla not that he no-lifed in battlegrounds for more hours than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    It isn't a dick measuring competition...He linked it to show he was a player from Vanilla not that he no-lifed in battlegrounds for more hours than you.
    See: Mental gymnastics. They don't even know what to do since I probably confused them to their cores.