Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'm not allowed in PvP anymore. Apparently using Lalafells as shields and screaming THIS IS SPARTA are not allowed
    Well not everyone is a fan of mashed potato.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Because Stories =/= RPG's. The two are entirely separate. Which is entirely the problem I have with FF 14, the story they're trying to tell and the game they've built are just far too contradictory that they may as well just exist in their own little bubbles.

They've made a rock solid MMORPG, then locked it all away behind a terrible story. The pacing is totally off, the characters are either entirely forgetable or named Mary Sue and there are plot holes so large you could fit an entire country through them. In the words of another FF Protagonist, "This is my story". So why has it been replaced with Alphinaud's Story?

I didn't enjoy playing the Witcher games at all. As much as I loved the world of the Witcher, the gameplay just killed it for me. So I read the books instead - They stand up much better without game play clunking up the story. I'm not against storytelling, but when it comes bundled with a bunch of game mechanics you've got to be really careful with how you tell it.

Have you ever read any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels? Fantastic books, I highly reccomend them if you haven't. I bring them up because they made several video game spinoffs with Rincewind being the main character of the first two, and an entirely new character as the protagonist of the third noir themed one. Despite being based in one of the most richly detailed fantasy universes, and even having Pratchett's help with some of the diologue, the games themselves ended up being rather mediocre. Discworld, for all of its colourful characters and wonderful places, just works better in novel form. And thats fine. But trying to tell stories of the same style in a video game just ends up with a product that doesn't fully capitalise on such a well fleshed out universe, nor one that truly realises the power of gaming.

What game Dev's should aim to do is tell the story of their world though it's environments and reinforce it through game systems and mechanics. Let me find out about your world and my place in it through play, not exposition dumps. You've got far more tools to work with as a game designer than a storyteller, use them!

Some of the best games in general have gameplay tied to the plot. I know that it's not feasible for every game out there to do it, but having game mechanics that contradict major plot points is a huge no-no from me.

I don't reject the idea of cutscenes in a game altogether. But for too many games it's the main way that they go about telling the story, to the point that it gives the impression it was made by a frustrated film director rather than a developer. They're a tool that should absolutely be used, however they should be used sparingly and only when they're the right tool for the job. We're not still playing games on the PS1 and we don't need a cutscene to introduce new places and people to us anymore, so using them at every opportunity is just poor form.

As for a break from the action goes... I agree, games absolutely should be paced in a way where you get to wind down from the action from time to time. It doesn't have to be a cutscene through, it can be a town to chill out in, letting you explore or hunt down secret areas, a puzzle, mini games etc. Lots of ways to go about it without taking direct control away from the player.
    Well thats like... your opinion man. The story is far from terrible. If you dont like it that is fine. The majority here does. You can always skip the cutscenes the MSQ after 50 literally take 0 time if you skip the cutscenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    Hey guys, can any of you tell me what i'm doing wrong as i'm clearly too retarded to type in a simple text command. I'm trying to change my Garuda Egi into something else and i'm doing what the stupid help thing says to do and it's not effing working.

I've tried /egiglamour “garuda-egi” “ruby carbuncle” which is what the help thing says to do. No dice.

so I tried
    /egiglamour garuda-egi ruby carbuncle
    /egiglamour garuda-egi "ruby carbuncle"
    /egiglamour garuda-egi Ruby Carbuncle
    /egiglamour garuda-egi "Ruby Carbuncle"
    /egiglamour garuda-egi "rubycarbuncle"
    /egiglamour garuda-egi rubycarbuncle
    /egiglamour garuda-egi "RubyCarbuncle"
    /egiglamour garuda-egi RubyCarbuncle
    /egiglamour garuda-egi "ruby-carbuncle"
    /egiglamour garuda-egi ruby-carbuncle
    /egiglamour garuda-egi Ruby-Carbuncle

and I just get “Ruby” is not a valid pet name or something to that effect. For a Simple text command i sure am feeling retarded as I can't get the goddamn thing to work. What the hell am I doing wrong?
    Put the command in when you don't have a pet summoned. I haven't changed garuda, but /egiglamour "ifrit-egi" "ruby carbuncle" worked for Ifrit.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Well first thing i did was get the Beast Tribe finale done. Really neat little story to remind you that you are leaving Ishgard in a better state than it was when you arrived and all the beast tribes are now friends. Gets the "Hey now, You're an all star" achievement with a new dance and the title "Moonlifter" and new stuff at every beast tribe vendor as all 4 go to Allied rank.

Deleted
    Everyone walking around with their Ruby carbuncles, Emerald carbuncle master carbuncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynax View Post
    Everyone walking around with their Ruby carbuncles, Emerald carbuncle master carbuncle.
    Topaz is Bropaz.

Here here!

Welp, that first story quest with Tataru.

I feel like i need an adult.

and the police.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

and the police.
    http://i.imgur.com/dKy7AzD.png.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Wait...the new relic step is another tomestone grind?
    Yes and no. 15 Pneumite, which are 200 lore OR poetics each, or 4k gc seals.

Good thing I'm sitting on 60k gc seals right now...

Deleted

and the police.
    Wonder what that was all about.

I suspect we are getting our own scion outfit? :P

I'm trying to get Tank set from the 2 new dungeons, I have gloves and boots. On last bosses I saw one chest piece for Monk and the rest (something like 8-9 times) was either DRG or MCH/BRD pants...rng is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    I didn't sign up to be a doujin character!

10+ Year Old Account
    I suspect we are getting our own scion outfit? :P
    That, or Tataru just wants to daydream about our bodies.

I didn't sign up to be a doujin character!
    You did, it's small print in agreements you didn't read when you accepted that big list of rules etc.
    Last edited by Anzaman; 2017-01-17 at 05:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    ...Whoever let his/her Lavender Beds Ward 1, plot 41, on Odin, to be auto-demolished... Thank you

A good patch day surprise.
    Ohhhh fuck totally forgot to check ughh

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    That, or Tataru just wants to daydream about our bodies.

Yet more proof all potatos are vile beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Yes and no. 15 Pneumite, which are 200 lore OR poetics each, or 4k gc seals.

Good thing I'm sitting on 60k gc seals right now...
    So not light farming after all? Or is it both?

270 ilvl anima gif gallery.

Pretty damn neat looking stuff, imo. Even some of them that the reddit hive mind shits on aren't that bad.

I'm actually going to go against the grain and state that the BRD/MCH ones are a bit too gaudy and over the top. DRG one a bit behind them in gaudiness. That said, I dig the WHM one as well as the SMN/SCH books.

Edit: DRK weapon should've had a red glow for once (to match that ever so beloved Darkside aura). Yellow seems...odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    So not light farming after all? Or is it both?
    Both. :-/

The light farm begins after turning in the pneumite.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2017-01-17 at 05:57 PM.

I think PLD looks really good for the class as well. I kinda like BRD too, though. NIN is a big yawn, so I'll glamour right over that again. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Well first thing i did was get the Beast Tribe finale done.
    Currently doing it and not sure what to say about it..

(spoilers)
    http://i.imgur.com/eDMPOn2.png
    http://i.imgur.com/U0GVYRx.png
    http://i.imgur.com/WBCwTg5.png