Quote Originally Posted by tyrs ankle View Post
    See: Mental gymnastics. They don't even know what to do since I probably confused them to their cores.
    That's because some of these people's Vanilla experience comes from an emulator and achievements aren't in that version of the game. Some of them ACTUALLY played 12 years ago and some didn't. But you can quickly see who didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I've made this point since WotLK : Blizzard has designed WoW starting from 3.0, for people who didn't like WoW in the first place (to attract them to the game while they weren't interested before).
    So yeah, it attracted a ton of people who didn't like Vanilla and TBC, but at the same time it made tons of people who actually did, leave (which is also the reason why I think WotLK's sub stayed stagnant, the new players taking the place of the old ones).

So obviously, people who like Vanilla and people who like post-WotLK WoW look at each other with weird stares and wonder how the other group can like the game they like.
    I think this is a pretty decent analysis. It's two different games, they just share a lot of fundamental similarities. Nobody is really wrong for liking the one or the other, it's like loving Skyrim but hating Dark Souls and vice versa.
    If anything this thread have showed there are a lot of things some people feel made classic wow better, and others do not agree with those things and feel that the current systems and mechanics is more enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    It isn't a dick measuring competition...He linked it to show he was a player from Vanilla not that he no-lifed in battlegrounds for more hours than you.
    Firstly, he pointed out his achievements first. He clearly wanted to measure his... ahem... male sausage. It doesn't make it correct or incorrect. He just wanted to validate his claims that Vanilla wasn't harder cause he played it. I also didn't resort to name calling, like he has and you. Also no-lifed? You do realize you're posting on a forum arguing with me about a game from 12 years ago right? We're all in the same boat.

The thing about arguments is that nobody will ever change their minds over them. Actions though do more than words.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Firstly, he pointed out his achievements first. He clearly wanted to measure his... ahem... male sausage. It doesn't make it correct or incorrect. He just wanted to validate his claims that Vanilla wasn't harder cause he played it. I also didn't resort to name calling, like he has and you. Also no-lifed? You do realize you're posting on a forum arguing with me about a game from 12 years ago right? We're all in the same boat.

The thing about arguments is that nobody will ever change their minds over them. Actions though do more than words.
    He posted the picture to show he was a Vanilla player...that was it. go back and look at his post. He linked the the armory and posted the picture and there is the person he quoted and the reason he did what he did. You are trying to make it into something it was not.

You're even taking the no-lifed comment I made out of context, that is impressive. We SHOULD be able to agree that hitting pvp titles took a large time investment, yes? If you hit rank 6+ you invested a lot of hours into it.

@Kyanion see what I said about mental gymnastics?
    I literally posted a ss with no comments and you see what we got?

- - - Updated - - -

He posted the picture to show he was a Vanilla player...that was it. go back and look at his post. He linked the the armory and posted the picture and there is the person he quoted and the reason he did what he did. You are trying to make it into something it was not.

You're even taking the no-lifed comment I made out of context, that is impressive. We SHOULD be able to agree that hitting pvp titles took a large time investment, yes? If you hit rank 6+ you invested a lot of hours into it.

Eh it was all easy till you got commander. Then you needed to premade/farm to reliably rank up.

@Kyanion see what I said about mental gymnastics?
    I literally posted a ss with no comments and you see what we got?

- - - Updated - - -

Eh it was all easy till you got commander. Then you needed to premade/farm to reliably rank up.
    Yup same type of comments that was in the thread that got closed. They take something and run with it out of context or twist it to fit the pro-Vanilla narrative.

And it wasn't easy to get past Rank 8 on my realm, we had a huge chunk of people passing around rank 14 and was causing people like me who didn't want to be in the clique to try and solo my honor, I had a huge week of honor grinding where I invested way too many hours and didn't get to rank 10 from rank 9 if i remember correctly. I said 'done'. and just focused on raiding for the rest of the time.

Yup same type of comments that was in the thread that got closed. They take something and run with it out of context or twist it to fit the pro-Vanilla narrative.

And it wasn't easy to get past Rank 8 on my realm, we had a huge chunk of people passing around rank 14 and was causing people like me who didn't want to be in the clique to try and solo my honor, I had a huge week of honor grinding where I invested way too many hours and didn't get to rank 10 from rank 9 if i remember correctly. I said 'done'. and just focused on raiding for the rest of the time.
    Yup. I 100% know that at least 2 of my posts have been reported by now. Oh well. It's not like it's hard to make another account

Horde on my server were way more competitive, most of the alliance pvpers were kinda goofing around. There was a keyboard turning rogue that made rank 13 before TBC hit.

Yup. I 100% know that at least 2 of my posts have been reported by now. Oh well. It's not like it's hard to make another account

Horde on my server were way more competitive, most of the alliance pvpers were kinda goofing around. There was a keyboard turning rogue that made rank 13 before TBC hit.
    yar was horde here as well, I mainly gave up because i knew the people IRL that were holding on to rank 14 and he was account sharing to have his character being played 24-7 to maintain the rank or pass it to who he wanted. They were in the top guild on our server at the time and I just didn't feel like going against such an unlevel playing field.

nothing, its just alone people who love to live in the past that told you that the game was better, it was not lol, farming was too grievious, class not balanced at all, only 3-4 spec in total was good, other pure shit, raid was shit, just a tank afk on a boss and 10 people dps , the other 20-25 was afk, no random dungeon, doing one dungeon took like 2-3 hour to do, etc etc.. ;s

yar was horde here as well, I mainly gave up because i knew the people IRL that were holding on to rank 14 and he was account sharing to have his character being played 24-7 to maintain the rank or pass it to who he wanted. They were in the top guild on our server at the time and I just didn't feel like going against such an unlevel playing field.
    "Community was better in vanilla"

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree that classic is better than current, that's too broad a statement, however in specific areas it could be.

The one aspect that I feel classic WoW was better, is how simple and organic the world felt.
    While it was still a fantasy setting, the world itself was reasonable, plausible, like it could physically exist. The way it awed was through scale, simple things (like blackrock mountain) but so huge that the player felt like an ant.
    Now the awe is more visual, everything taken to the extreme. There are so few places that are just places: instead of being a forest, it's a forest with massive old-god tentacles worming the landscape. Instead of a field, it's a field that's perpetually being torn apart (with parts literally floating in the air) by elemental forces. I can't look at these places and think 'yep, people sure live here'.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I started MMO's with Ultima Online in 1997.

A modern day version of that game would be the bees knees.
    This is happening look of Shroud of the Avatar. Lord British himself is spear heading it.

As for what made vanilla so great for me was the talent trees being able to completely customize your direction was what i loved and trust me I would always play some tree that was off the wall and not cookie cutter. Nowadays there is only one clear cut route on it and that is what you have to do to make your character preform.

Deleted
    Aside from what has been said already, I really liked the slower pace of classic WoW.

Modern WoW is about rushing & speed in so many ways. A new expansion comes out, people rush through leveling as fast as they can; if you log in for half an hour in the evening, you'll probably end up doing 2 full dungeons and a battleground; and if you PVP or raid, what seems to matter most is fast reaction times; little downtime, perfect & quick exceution of your rotation, dodging one of the thousand fires on the floor (raids).

Vanilla WoW feels like a game just made for a lazy winter's evening. You only have an hour to play? Great, you still can. You'll probably only finish 1-2 quests on your very slow way to level 60, but that's fine. Need to travel for a bit? Just kick back and enjoy the landscape while walking.
    Running a dungeon? Better keep that for the weekend, because it'll take hours. With lots of downtime, where you'll probably have a good time chatting with your group mates.
    Fighting? Meh, usually not very important to have jet pilot reactions. More like a game of chess - 80% of it is preparation; making sure your equipment is repaired and up to speed, getting some consumables maybe, travel around the world to get your quests, laying out general strategies with your team (CCs etc).

Or in short - think of the Lord of the Ring movies. Classic WoW feels like the actual movies we got; 95% of the time show their journey to the mountain, and that's what makes the movies great.
    To me, feels like modern WoW would be the equivalence of a Lord of the Ring movie where they spend 5 minutes on the journey, and then screen 6 hours of jump&run-like fighting against Sauron with special effects, explosions and fast cuts everywhere.

Deleted
    Nostalgia

/10

RE: dark souls, the souls franchise has gotten better every addon. I don't see people saying DS was better than DS3/bloodborne.
    Christ, yall here are retarded beyond belief. The mental gymnastics are astounding.
    I have seen people comment that the first (Dark souls?) was better than the second one (Demon Souls?) (so I guess was also called DS?) and that 3 was a return to quality; but I've never played any of the franchise so certainly couldn't comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnrealDonald View Post
    Aside from what has been said already, I really liked the slower pace of classic WoW.

Modern WoW is about rushing & speed in so many ways. A new expansion comes out, people rush through leveling as fast as they can; if you log in for half an hour in the evening, you'll probably end up doing 2 full dungeons and a battleground; and if you PVP or raid, what seems to matter most is fast reaction times; little downtime, perfect & quick exceution of your rotation, dodging one of the thousand fires on the floor (raids).

Vanilla WoW feels like a game just made for a lazy winter's evening. You only have an hour to play? Great, you still can. You'll probably only finish 1-2 quests on your very slow way to level 60, but that's fine. Need to travel for a bit? Just kick back and enjoy the landscape while walking.
    Running a dungeon? Better keep that for the weekend, because it'll take hours. With lots of downtime, where you'll probably have a good time chatting with your group mates.
    Fighting? Meh, usually not very important to have jet pilot reactions. More like a game of chess - 80% of it is preparation; making sure your equipment is repaired and up to speed, getting some consumables maybe, travel around the world to get your quests, laying out general strategies with your team (CCs etc).

Or in short - think of the Lord of the Ring movies. Classic WoW feels like the actual movies we got; 95% of the time show their journey to the mountain, and that's what makes the movies great.
    To me, feels like modern WoW would be the equivalence of a Lord of the Ring movie where they spend 5 minutes on the journey, and then screen 6 hours of jump&run-like fighting against Sauron with special effects, explosions and fast cuts everywhere.
    lmao @ comparing vanilla wow to chess.
    Are you high? Vanilla wow was 90% waiting for sunders and 10% farming resistance. There's no delicate strategy in that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Say hello to people exploiting known bugs
    Like?

Say hello to unfixed bugs
    Like?
    In every patch we have overpowered classes and broken classes.

What about noboby play healer priest because the OP healer for that version is the paladin?

Do you remember people farming zones with edited map? Ex: Scholomance map to farm the last boss with a tunnel? Or people using hack programs. You need to patch to break those hacks.

Simple glitch or bug like some mobs giving too much XP, a mob dropping too much gold, a boss than you pull in a specific location and never hit you, etc..etc..

When you play forever at the same version without fix people know every single possible glitch and abuse it.

So, playing Vanilla isnt even viable if they don't patch/fix once a while.

So, Blizzard need an active team for that project.

Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    Classic was better for people new to MMOs because of the sense of exploration. Many people didn't come from one of the other big MMOs, and WoW was the first for them.

You can't replicate a "first" experience with something.

Personally, I came from EQ in Vanilla, and don't really get the nostalgia. The current game is much better imo.

IMO Vanilla was horrid for beginners since it was so difficult, i remember being the same level as a quill boar outside of razor hill and just getting rekt. Then again shamans didnt really have the best early game. Not to mention the quests were vague as fuck i remember one of them was just like "bring me frost oil" and youre supposed to just figure out what that shit is lol. Inb4 asking community.

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    So, Blizzard need an active team for that project.
    Which I assume they are going to have if they implement legacy servers. Say what you will about Blizzard but they don't half-ass something (exception being WOD).

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    I'm quoting you Caelia but this isn't direct at you specifically. I just want to point out that most of the ppl that used this argument already in this thread, and they were plenty, the "game was new and exciting" argument, would probably find out that they would enjoy more and have more fun given the chance to play it again.

And i have this feeling because yes it was new and exciting, but it was also a better game overall than today with all it's failures and they were many, but well nothing is perfect.
    It's a matter of opinion, for some this might be true, for me no.
    I tried playing it again on a private server a few years ago, it was absolutely horrible in comparison to what we have today. I've already stopped playing Legion, but it's still many times better than vanilla WoW was.