Well classic WoW forced one to interact/talk with people who are on the same server. So you see people regularly either in game or in PvP battle grounds. You knew who your "enemies" were. You came to respect them or made friends across the Alliance/Horde line. Nowadays, you just LF this and that, most people that you ran dungeons/raids with, you would never see again. You don't make friends any more like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    The game is better but we enjoyed the old wow more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    The game is better but we enjoyed the old wow more.
    This is literally called Nostalgia
    Which is what everyone with a lick of sense has been saying
    @Kyanion received an infraction, wanna guess which post and for why?
    Lol, these nostalgia crybabies are hilarious as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by handmaiden View Post
    IMO Vanilla was horrid for beginners since it was so difficult, i remember being the same level as a quill boar outside of razor hill and just getting rekt. Then again shamans didnt really have the best early game. Not to mention the quests were vague as fuck i remember one of them was just like "bring me frost oil" and youre supposed to just figure out what that shit is lol. Inb4 asking community.
    But so much easier than a game like EQ, where quests weren't given with checklists, or quest givers even identified. You had to talk to random NPCs, via text, and say the right things to get them to respond. When they asked for items, you had to give them things and hope it was the right thing- exact item names weren't given, just descriptions. If you gave them the wrong items, the NPC ate it and you were left to guess again.

Faction reputation too low? NPC would eat the items and laugh at you.

Soloing wasn't really a "thing", even at low levels you needed a party to kill most leveling mobs. Dungeons weren't instanced, but rather open world. Mobs respawned, and it was very possible to get lost deep in a dungeon and not be able to easily get back out. No such thing as a hearthstone.

When you died, you lost experience and had to get back to your corpse before it "expired", or all of your items were lost.

Raids were 96 person, up to 112 for world boss raids. Some raid encounters at the time of WoW's release had boss fights that lasted for 2-3 hours, straight fighting. Waves of adds, mini-bosses, traps to clear, things that needed to be kited.

Utility classes were a thing- fighting a boss without buffs on you and debuffs on them was likely to result in a quick wipe.

This is why Vanilla WoW had the reputation as being the "easy MMO for non-gamers" when it came on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

Yeah no doubt EQ was hard as fuck, at least from stories i heard. ive never played it so ill take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrs ankle View Post
    lmao @ comparing vanilla wow to chess.
    Are you high? Vanilla wow was 90% waiting for sunders and 10% farming resistance. There's no delicate strategy in that.
    I don't think he was meaning strategy. More that it took time, and you had time to think compared to what people call rush through dungeons today where you need jet pilot reactions to react to all the mechanics of today.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    Classic was an RPG, Legion is an action game.

I don't think you can say which one is better. Apples and oranges, you see.
    WWOOAAAHHhhhhhhh very well put. People kept asking for World of Diablo, and here it is with Legion

It was new and huge and fantastic and just all around great. Don't think it was any better or worse than now. But most of us have been playing for over 10 years, its getting old and stagnant now same old same old.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    tyrs ankle mad rustled that Legion activity keeps driving down whilst alternative WoW activity keeps going up.
    There are people who indulge in coprophilia.
    I couldn't care less what you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I don't think he was meaning strategy. More that it took time, and you had time to think compared to what people call rush through dungeons today where you need jet pilot reactions to react to all the mechanics of today.
    You had nothing to think about, lmao.
    And I guess some people like not having to think for long periods of time, sure. Most of the raid bosses pre aq40 were literally tank and spank.

What I like personally is that everything matters. Getting your first green, your first helm, your first necklace and getting a +1 str upgrade feels great while leveling up. I invest time into my character and grow more attached to it because of this, I can't easily replace it with a new character, and the further into the game I get the harder it gets. Getting my pre-raid best in slot takes a lot of work, but every piece of gear I can cross off of my list feels really really good, and this continues for months upon months upon months in the raids until I finally maybe get to complete all the content in the game. Getting your first mount feels so rewarding, getting that epic mount is awesome.

It's just a very long but extremely rewarding journey. When everything is hard to get, you value every little thing so much more. When everything takes time you grow attached to your character and take pride in your accomplishments. I haven't felt that in retail since Wrath of the Lich King because every character I make and every piece of gear I get is disposable and can be replaced without much effort.

The main difference?
    Each expansion gives less of diferent content... Vanilla was more of an overal completitionist, and in BC and (specially) WotLK you could level 2 diferent characters without going thru the same areas. And such experience has been diminishing with every exp. This one is the worst in that sense, as there are only 4 areas that you change the order...

also, vanilla had a lot of little requirements that here great for people who farmed then, not like now which they basically give the same loot.

Even so, much of the vanilla wow love comes from nostalgia... the first time discovery of a new world. I still enjoy leveling by questing, but it is a problem that i dont find it challenging anymore (which was an important thing in vanilla)

There is only 1 benefit with vanilla cause legion is a million times better as a game BUT the social aspect making friends (while doing the wpl cauldrons) grouping upp questing just standing there talking getting to people around the world. Vanilla was horrible basicly you only had 1 viable spec per class ofc some say otherwise but if you wanted to be a serverfirst raider killing the world dragons there was no choice.

Rose tinted glasses for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnrealDonald View Post
    Aside from what has been said already, I really liked the slower pace of classic WoW.

Modern WoW is about rushing & speed in so many ways. A new expansion comes out, people rush through leveling as fast as they can; if you log in for half an hour in the evening, you'll probably end up doing 2 full dungeons and a battleground; and if you PVP or raid, what seems to matter most is fast reaction times; little downtime, perfect & quick exceution of your rotation, dodging one of the thousand fires on the floor (raids).

Vanilla WoW feels like a game just made for a lazy winter's evening. You only have an hour to play? Great, you still can. You'll probably only finish 1-2 quests on your very slow way to level 60, but that's fine. Need to travel for a bit? Just kick back and enjoy the landscape while walking.
    Running a dungeon? Better keep that for the weekend, because it'll take hours. With lots of downtime, where you'll probably have a good time chatting with your group mates.
    Fighting? Meh, usually not very important to have jet pilot reactions. More like a game of chess - 80% of it is preparation; making sure your equipment is repaired and up to speed, getting some consumables maybe, travel around the world to get your quests, laying out general strategies with your team (CCs etc).

Or in short - think of the Lord of the Ring movies. Classic WoW feels like the actual movies we got; 95% of the time show their journey to the mountain, and that's what makes the movies great.
    To me, feels like modern WoW would be the equivalence of a Lord of the Ring movie where they spend 5 minutes on the journey, and then screen 6 hours of jump&run-like fighting against Sauron with special effects, explosions and fast cuts everywhere.
    So much this.

I don't see why this always need to end up in an endless circlejerk while the obvious answer is ''its a different game, and people like different things''. There's no better answer than that, not even the nostalgia meme.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrs ankle View Post
    This is literally called Nostalgia
    Which is what everyone with a lick of sense has been saying
    @Kyanion received an infraction, wanna guess which post and for why?
    Lol, these nostalgia crybabies are hilarious as hell.
    Nonsense, many have been playing on Vanilla servers for years, is it still just nostalgia or maybe they actually prefer the Vanilla game?

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Nonsense, many have been playing on Vanilla servers for years, is it still just nostalgia or maybe they actually prefer the Vanilla game?
    I've also seen quite a number of comments lately of people who never played the earliest versions of the game trying vanilla out and preferring it.

It's not just nostalgia. I thought it was as well, until I went back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    He posted the picture to show he was a Vanilla player...that was it. go back and look at his post. He linked the the armory and posted the picture and there is the person he quoted and the reason he did what he did. You are trying to make it into something it was not.
    And then I showed mine and you two got upset. Good times.
    You're even taking the no-lifed comment I made out of context, that is impressive. We SHOULD be able to agree that hitting pvp titles took a large time investment, yes? If you hit rank 6+ you invested a lot of hours into it.
    I wouldn't know cause I just liked to PvP as Ret. I wasn't even aware of how the ranking system worked until I hit Knight. Honestly, I'm still not sure. Reaching that rank was kinda a byproduct. Did I mention I like to PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Yup same type of comments that was in the thread that got closed. They take something and run with it out of context or twist it to fit the pro-Vanilla narrative.
    Thread got closed cause I and many other people were speaking about private servers. Talk about out of context or twisting.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The trust they put in the players.
    you always had a variation of rotations (no matter what the class) it never got boring.
    Quests were just that. Sometimes you would die many times but actually completing the Quest meant something.
    Will always remember the Demon Quests for the lock, Having to run all the way down to Ratchet utterly scared stiff of entering Horde Territory.

The Game was made easier as they assumed the difficulty of some of it was putting people off. Those people never arrived and they managed to actually drive people away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    And then I showed mine and you two got upset. Good times.
    Let me help you with that selective memory. When his post was made you said and I quote: "This is my character and guess what, I out rank you. Time to sit down and listen to your master, since you're pulling this bullshit out." YOU are the one that got upset and turned it into something it wasn't.