10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    No, you can have multiple docks without any issue. The dock is essentially a charge port with a couple cables and a fan.
    Oh perfect. Thats gonna be easier.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not at all. Looking back at some launch games on 360, Quake 4 takes 2.8GB (or less) up on PC (so around 15% of the launch storage), Call of Duty 2 is 4GB (or less) on PC (so 20%), Halo 3 (which came later) looks like it was under 6GB (30%).

And this was before digital distribution was much of a thing on consoles, so there wasn't much of an expectation of folks having any kind of robust digital library like there is on both PC and consoles today. Comparatively, it's much worse on the Switch. I mean, shit, they didn't even improve the base storage capacity compared to the Wii U from 4 years ago.

Given what they're showing, PS4 could probably it it, and probably even the base model of the Xbox One. Pro could easily do it, and likely at closer to 1800p resolution like we're seeing on a number of games already.
    The Switch is not PS4/XBOX. the PS4 and Xbox need to download from the disc onto the Hard drive to play, the switch does not. These numbers you are throwing around are completely irrelevant as there is no way Switch games will require GB of data to be saved on the system to play. The HD is essentially for system patch files, game saves, DLC and such.

Then why does the Switch allow for it to be expanded to 2T? Well, it is planned to support pictures and video thanks to the share button, so those files are expected to take up a good chunk of space. While I do imagine that full games will be offered as a digital download, for the most part I think people will go buy physical copies.

Anyone looking to actually buy a decent 128G Samsung Pro for $76. While I don't expect the average gamer to need this, for those willing to ditch game cartrages for digital in the future, do video files, and share in game pictures, this is the best way to go. It has better read time than the cheaper ones so it will cut down on load times.
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Selec...gb+samsung+pro
    Last edited by ezgeze; 2017-01-17 at 06:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So why is voice chat a phone feature? Is it a battery life thing? I mean its very weird to have voice chat on a separate device. Sure, I know people who skype... but to have a system built for not having actual voice chat?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Switch is not PS4/XBOX. the PS4 and Xbox need to download from the disc onto the Hard drive to play, the switch does not. These numbers you are throwing around are completely irrelevant as there is no way Switch games will require GB of data to be saved on the system to play. The HD is essentially for system patch files, game saves, DLC and such.

Then why does the Switch allow for it to be expanded to 2T? Well, it is planned to support pictures and video thanks to the share button, so those files are expected to take up a good chunk of space.
    You do know that people buy digital games right?

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You have a screwed view of reality. Their switch event was almost entirely about the consoles "new developed features" such as the HD rumble and camera. If they didn't think it would increase sales they wouldn't of wasted their time with it, they wouldn't of developed a game around it, or showcasing it for 90% of the event and ignoring the portable aspect of the console
    They're just trying to expose everything about it. How long can they go about showing how portable it is ? Switch doesn't have anything to blow you away, not even an impressive launch lineup, but it has a lot of small, new things. Conservative gamers don't really care about most of these things, as they prefer a standard joypad and all cost and effort put into high performance graphics. I didn't like the presentation, because I still have no idea how Switch will be to use, or how games can cleverly use the new hardware features to improve gaming experiences, so I'm not defending that. Still, I'm very optimistic towards the console, because I need a good, portable gaming device, and I'm sure Nintendo's going to deliver that, no matter what they say is the focus of the console, how they market it, what kind of tegra chip it's powered by etc. None of us can predict its commercial future, but we should already know if this is something that we personally would enjoy. Why make it more complicated than that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No they didn't, Hell the "New" 3DS doesn't even have a 6-7 hour battery life.
    When you play Skyrim on a "big" screen, it should not feel unnatural to have to charge after 3 hours. How long can your laptop's battery go with performance mode on while playing a graphics intensive game?
    Mother pus bucket!

Then why does the Switch allow for it to be expanded to 2T? Well, it is planned to support pictures and video thanks to the share button, so those files are expected to take up a good chunk of space. While I do imagine that full games will be offered as a digital download, for the most part I think people will go buy discs.

Anyone looking to actually buy a decent 128G Samsung Pro for $76. While I don't expect the average gamer to need this, for those willing to ditch game cartrages for digital in the future, this is the best way to go. It has better read time than the cheaper ones so it will cut down on load times.
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Selec...gb+samsung+pro
    Digital games yo, the market continues to move towards digital, and this is going to leave Nintendo at a comparative disadvantage. And Nintendo is using carts with the Switch, not disks.

Yes, the Switch will support up to 2TB (which apparently doesn't even exist yet), but the point being that it's a much pricier solution to expanded storage to what is offered on the PS4/Xbox one, either through their base models (there are 500GB/1GB models of each, last I checked) and in terms of the cost to upgrade internal storage.

Yes, PS4/Xbox One games take up more space as well, but there's not a single one that's approaching 40%+ of either consoles base internal storage.

Again, it's that it's yet another decision that's indicative of Nintendo not looking forward and reading the current market. They're looking backwards, which brings with it plenty of its own risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Just look at the price of the accessories when sold seperately. A pair of Joy-Con for $80 and a dock for $90. Obviously there's a bit of price gouging there, but that accounts for more than half of the Switch's $300 pricetag.

So take those component costs, throw in the touchscreen and the battery, and you're basically left with a tablet-grade CPU, a tablet-grade GPU, tablet-grade RAM, and a tablet-grade HDD.

It's not a bad piece of kit, by any means, but there's no doubt that most of the production costs are going into the "gimmicks" and not into the core hardware architecture.
    But take the docking, isn't that basically just a plastic frame with a fan and a few in/outputs for power, HMDI and things like that? Still it costs 90 bucks? I think that's a huge ripoff, and they can probably manufacture it for a few dollars.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    So why is voice chat a phone feature? Is it a battery life thing? I mean its very weird to have voice chat on a separate device. Sure, I know people who skype... but to have a system built for not having actual voice chat?
    Probably to facilitate using the Switch outside of the home. Sure, you could just use your phone as a hot-spot, but this way you can play offline and still talk to your friends!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Just a heads up to anyone getting the physical Wii U release of Breath of the Wild, you will need 3GB of hard drive space for mandatory patches, more than likely to help with pop in and load times.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-...-3-gb-install/
    So how do I play this game? What do I need to buy to fix that issue? I think my blue chip drive thing (whatever it is called) that is installed on the little dealy next to the USB's is only 16 gigs. That shit is full of games, and important save states.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Probably to facilitate using the Switch outside of the home. Sure, you could just use your phone as a hot-spot, but this way you can play offline and still talk to your friends!
    hmmm just seems so odd that is exclusively off console.

Zelda will need to be 10/10 if I'm going to entertain the idea of buying the Switch.
    The lack of games are a real problem. Hoping at least we can play our already purchased VC games.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Hoping at least we can play our already purchased VC games.
    Roflmao......

Ok now that I have gotten my breath back from laughing so hard. There is a highly 99.9% likely chance that no you will not be able to play your already purchased VC games and you will need to buy them again.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Roflmao......

Ok now that I have gotten my breath back from laughing so hard. There is a highly 99.9% likely chance that no you will not be able to play your already purchased VC games and you will need to buy them again.
    Actually.....they said you can transfer purchases from WiiU and 3DS so....yeah.

BUT not original Wii so if you don't own the games on WiiU/3DS and only on the original Wii then you need to rebuy (probably at a discount like they did with the WiiU).
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

if you remove the motion controls and make the joy cons one piece built onto the system instead of seperate controllers you'd probably save 80 to 100 dollars. but then how do you play wii games from the vc? you'd still have to buy joy cons.

like i said earlier. there will probably be a cheaper smaller switch later on made like that. we also have to remember unlike the wiiu the switch and all of its accesories arent being sold for a loss. theyre all for profit.

with the wiiu they sold for a loss and only made a profit after someone bought a game with it. with the switch they make a profit off of every unit, they make money off the games, and the controllers. even if the switch isnt a massive hit as long as they keep production from getting too high nintendo will remain in the black and after having gone in the red during the first few years of the 3ds and the first year of the wiiu thats good for buisness.

sold for a loss the switch would probably be 250. if they sell a switch micro for a loss i could easily see it being 150$

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post

BUT not original Wii so if you don't own the games on WiiU/3DS and only on the original Wii then you need to rebuy (probably at a discount like they did with the WiiU).
    there a source for this? reggie said there would be something similiar to how you got discounts from wii to wiiu but i havent seen them confirm purchases carry over

- - - Updated - - -

aw shit is there a main series fire emblem on the way for switch?!?!?! or will this just end up being about warriors?

GET HYPE

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post

Not saying you are wrong but where did they say this? I'm going to need a link/source. Even if there is a 99% discount its still a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    --snip--
    Likely chance its the warrior game.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    A leaked document came out that said that the game they were going to announce is Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation for Switch. Kinda disappointing if true TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    A leaked document came out that said that the game they were going to announce is Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation for Switch. Kinda disappointing if true TBH.
    if it comes with all 3 versions of the game thats actually a good deal

i still hadnt gotten around to picking it up so that be great for me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    The switch is to expensive if the prices stay at 300€ ~ 350€, i only buy the console if the pokemon series continue there or more jrpgs are released.
    then id hold off till black friday. if pokemon comes out this year it will be in november and there will be some deals for switch or a bundle
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I find it weird. F.E.F grafics are kinda crappy. They would have to fix all the models with HD anime ones. And same goes for area araund the game.

To at least that grafical quality:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes, the Switch will support up to 2TB (which apparently doesn't even exist yet), but the point being that it's a much pricier solution to expanded storage
    MicroSD Cards also have slower read speeds and long-term reliability issues.

I know that there's not a lot of options for storage space on a tablet-sized device, but it's still really not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    MicroSD Cards also have slower read speeds and long-term reliability issues.

I know that there's not a lot of options for storage space on a tablet-sized device, but it's still really not ideal.
    Ya for anyone going full digital on this (and I hope it isn't many). They should expect to replace there SD card every year to 2 years (max). Also they will have to drop a decent amount of cash to get one with half decent read speed.

I highly advise people to not go full digital with this thing.

If it has a spare USB (I don't recall if it does or not) maybe people can buy a external HD for it.