Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    Sure it does. If it doesn't happen to you it doesn't happen right? Just like cops didn't shoot this man who was lying on his back with his hands up while trying to shoot a retarded man playing in the street with a toy truck...

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/cops-sh...r-729615427760
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen because that'd be false. I am saying it is not an epidemic as the media portrays. People have eaten other peoples faces off, it happens, but the issue in this instance isn't the dude is eating peoples faces, it's the drug problem. In the case of police excessive use of force I firmly believe its a culture issue. I just don't see how you get shot unless you do stupid shit. There are always going to be fringe occurrences (like your above example), but most of the sensationalized ones were often always people fighting back, breaking laws, being violent, resisting etc.

I'll give you another anecdotal example. I have an Asian colleague, really into modding cars. Dude always gets tickets. We're out to lunch one day, I get pulled over for doing 41 in a 25. Was trying to make it back to work for my one buddy who is hourly (also in car). He's going on about how I am fucked etc.

Moral of the story I walk away with a warning and he's dumbfounded because he always get tickets, I ask what he does and his answer is that he asks the cop what he did wrong, tells him that he wasn't doing x y or z (when he was), and pushes back at least half the time.

Again it's all anecdotal. There are a lot of problems in this world, but I don't think police killing people is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Your logical fallacy is anecdotal.

You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.

It's often much easier for people to believe someone's testimony as opposed to understanding complex data and variation across a continuum. Quantitative scientific measures are almost always more accurate than personal perceptions and experiences, but our inclination is to believe that which is tangible to us, and/or the word of someone we trust over a more 'abstract' statistical reality.
    There's nothing abstract about stats. You can pick and choose what dataset you want to represent to force feed a populace any singular data point and it'll fit. The bottom line is this. My experiences while anecdotal show that there are right and wrong choices during a police encounter. You can actively choose which ones you make to increase your survival rate, and that is universal across all races.

I think my experiences are sound arguments and I think they are definitely compelling evidence of behavior = results.

They're not the end all be all, they're merely my experiences, but to dismiss them is very unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen because that'd be false. I am saying it is not an epidemic as the media portrays. People have eaten other peoples faces off, it happens, but the issue in this instance isn't the dude is eating peoples faces, it's the drug problem. In the case of police excessive use of force I firmly believe its a culture issue. I just don't see how you get shot unless you do stupid shit. There are always going to be fringe occurrences (like your above example), but most of the sensationalized ones were often always people fighting back, breaking laws, being violent, resisting etc.

I'll give you another anecdotal example. I have an Asian colleague, really into modding cars. Dude always gets tickets. We're out to lunch one day, I get pulled over for doing 41 in a 25. Was trying to make it back to work for my one buddy who is hourly (also in car). He's going on about how I am fucked etc.

Moral of the story I walk away with a warning and he's dumbfounded because he always get tickets, I ask what he does and his answer is that he asks the cop what he did wrong, tells him that he wasn't doing x y or z (when he was), and pushes back at least half the time.

Again it's all anecdotal. There are a lot of problems in this world, but I don't think police killing people is one of them.

There's nothing abstract about stats. You can pick and choose what dataset you want to represent to force feed a populace any singular data point and it'll fit. The bottom line is this. My experiences while anecdotal show that there are right and wrong choices during a police encounter. You can actively choose which ones you make to increase your survival rate, and that is universal across all races.

I think my experiences are sound arguments and I think they are definitely compelling evidence of behavior = results.

They're not the end all be all, they're merely my experiences, but to dismiss them is very unfair.
    How many abuses of police power is too many?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    No one has ever said this.
    I've heard BLM say some thing very similar, those are just my words paraphrasing what they said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You know, maybe US Police SHOULD be using less force...

Or maby just maby they should remove alot of weapons from the people so the cops dont have to be on edge so much. Millions of armed gangmembers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    How many abuses of police power is too many?
    The only issue with your statement is that the media goes after every single case of "perceived" injustice and forces its opinion as fact before all the facts are known. We see officers convicted of crimes socially before all the evidence is even gathered by professionals whose job it is to analyze it. It's the age old boy who cried wolf scenario. By sensationalizing so many non-injustices the ones that truly are get minimized, overshadowed, forgotten, etc.

The truth is that even one abuse is too many (and you know that and were fishing for me to say it), but we both know things aren't that black and white (cwatididthere?).

Way back when I was a head teller at a bank in college they implemented this nonsensical new policy that said because one person in one specific branch stole money one time from the vault, now all head tellers across the footprint are required to have 2 people present at all times in the vault. The obvious issue with this new control was that one very isolated incident triggered a mass footprint wide policy change that actually hurt productivity and store morale/trust considerably.

I see these sweeping generalizations and reduction in trust of our police force as a similar exercise. We've already seen the detriment of this in cities where cops were instructed to stand down and basically let the cities burn.