Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Do you really turned this into a "liberal vs conservative" debate? Really?

It's about getting a bigger fish, named Assange.
    I did not turn this into any kind of debate. I simply told someone that the many liberal minded people on this board don't give two shits about the security of the United States.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    yes? we already know they do.
    No, they dont. They cant. Those who control the atlantic links are the UK.

Germany was being watched by the NSA and the GHCQ using a DE-CIX link.

But we dont sit at your AT&T hub and listen to your traffic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    I did not turn this into any kind of debate. I simply told someone that the many liberal minded people on this board don't give two shits about the security of the United States.
    But this is about the security of the United States. Assange is a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by leetbean View Post
    it's a political move for sure. Assange said he'll turn himself over if Chelsea Manning gets clemency. Trump (at the time) said Manning/Assange's crimes deserve the death penalty. now let's see if Assange is a man of his word who can be trusted; and if so, let's watch Trump squirm to figure out how to handle it. he can either give the guy who he thought should be dead a pardon for helping him win the election or stand true to his beliefs and defy his base who have been on Assange's taint for the past year. either choice loses him political capital, which he doesn't have much of to begin with.
    Or option 3, he just does whatever he wants and his base goes along with it regardless of what he said in the past. We are entering the Trump Continuum. Lies are truth, feelings are reality, cause and effect no longer matter. Doom awaits.

Quote Originally Posted by teddabear View Post
    Wall Street did a million times more damage than both of them put together and no one spent a day in jail. Comparatively speaking 7 years is infinity.
    And yet the people who are exonerated on death row spent many more years in a prison that is probably 5X worse then what manning had to be in. Comparatively speaking, Manning got of easy. If this was 20 years ago or more , I doubt Manning would be breathing air.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Or option 3, he just does whatever he wants and his base goes along with it regardless of what he said in the past. We are entering the Trump Continuum. Lies are truth, feelings are reality, cause and effect no longer matter. Doom awaits.
    People still don't like to be lied. One of the reasons Clinton lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reason why Assange must be facing the hardest choice of his life. Or not, he could be a complete sellout and simply not care about his credit.
    There are good and bad points on both situations. If he doesn't turn himself in, he'll probably have to leave Wikileaks or his reputation will tarnish the foundation. If he has the slightest amount of judgement, he'll realize that. He'll also be taken less seriously by national actors and perhaps weaken his refugee position. On the other hand, it could potentially show that the clemency on Chelsea was only made to get to him, not for true justice. Also to keep in mind is that the DOJ case against him is unfair -- actually making the move is more than just keeping his words. It's something that require an outstanding amount of courage to do.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    No, they dont. They cant. Those who control the atlantic links are the UK.

Germany was being watched by the NSA and the GHCQ using a DE-CIX link.

But we dont sit at your AT&T hub and listen to your traffic.
    but you guys do spy on other European countries, at the behest of the NSA no less.

I'm verry happy for her!!!

because unlike Manning he did nothing but irreparable harm to our intelligence network, oh and fleeing to Russia sure doesn't help his case.
    But with Trump incomming is Russia your new buddy now.

But this is about the security of the United States. Assange is a bigger fish.
    I think for your argument, that it ISN't about security. But if it isn't about security and is about Assange, and every liberal blames Assange for leaking info hurting clinton....how can I be the person making it liberal vs conservative when all your venom is at the guy who hurt your feelings by making clinton emails known? Thanks pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post

But with Trump incomming is Russia your new buddy now.
    that's true with Trump, not the rest of our government.

Deleted
    but you guys do spy on other European countries, at the behest of the NSA no less.
    Our BND spied on the traffic thats crossig DE-CIX. Nothing more. So no, we dont see what is happening inside of France, Spain or Russia. And those arent linked to americas internet using DE-CIX, but the atlantic cables starting in the UK.

And, btw., that info is sourced from Mr. Snowden.

Its strange to see Assange basically swap statuses with the extreme right and left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38659068

President Barack Obama has commuted Chelsea Manning's sentence for leaking documents to Wikileaks in 2010.

The 29-year-old transgender US Army private, born Bradley Manning, will be freed on 17 May instead of her scheduled 2045 release.

She was sentenced to 35 years in 2013 for her role in leaking diplomatic cables to the anti-secrecy group.

The leak was one of the largest breaches of classified material in US history.
    How can anyone be against this?

Ed should also be pardoned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    I think for your argument, that it ISN't about security. But if it isn't about security and is about Assange, and every liberal blames Assange for leaking info hurting clinton....how can I be the person making it liberal vs conservative when all your venom is at the guy who hurt your feelings by making clinton emails known? Thanks pot.
    What? Assange is hated by both sides, using him whenever it's good to attack the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's one thing to leak classified intel to the enemy, but leaking information about bad behaviour to the public should be a defensible action. I'd prefer if governments didn't have dark secrets they wanted to keep hidden in the first place, rather than punishing those who reveal them. Whistleblowing should be a form of protected speech.
    Yeah, to hell with NDA's and security contracts people sign to get these jobs. Just so long as they are committing treason for "the greater good (tm)", all should be forgiven!

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Our BND spied on the traffic thats crossig DE-CIX. Nothing more. So no, we dont see what is happening inside of France, Spain or Russia. And those arent linked to americas internet using DE-CIX, but the atlantic cables starting in the UK.

And, btw., that info is sourced from Mr. Snowden.
    look, that's swell and all, but get to your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's one thing to leak classified intel to the enemy, but leaking information about bad behaviour to the public should be a defensible action. I'd prefer if governments didn't have dark secrets they wanted to keep hidden in the first place, rather than punishing those who reveal them. Whistleblowing should be a form of protected speech.
    I agree with this.

It has always bothered me that people are so accepting of governments being so secretive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Its strange to see Assange basically swap statuses with the extreme right and left.
    Yeah. BloodElf4Life is completely right about the Horseshoe theory on this case.

Deleted
    look, that's swell and all, but get to your point.
    My point is that you are not informed about what you talk about.

You dont really know what Mr. Snowden leaked to the public. You dont know anything about what the NSA is actually capable to do.

Still you wont like to pardon Mr. Snowden for .. well.. some idea he could be a traitor.