Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    People don't change their minds easily, no matter that facts/science.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I'm still upset that Science garotted Sailor Pluto with piano wire. You leave Jurassic Park alone.

But honestly I just haven't... really heard much about the topic. There were a few articles I remember bringing it up about four years ago, but then it kind of just vanished and became irrelevant... Same thing with Dwarf Stars actually. Was there just a dry spell in news during that time that even had that stuff hyped to attention in the first place? (Even though its more fascinating than current affairs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    People don't change their minds easily, no matter that facts/science.
    It's a little more delicate than that. People have no problems changing their mind in light of scientific evidence if it's something not particularly important to them, i.e. if it isn't integral to their worldview or something with emotional attachment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    And now imagine, dinosaurs also made birdsongs.

Imagine a tyrannosaur rex whistling llike a sparrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Still looks ridiculous
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    They look silly with feathers.
    I think the artist concepts/renderings are a little ridiculous. We have very few intact specimens that definitively prove feathers anyway. So to make the jump that even all theropods had feathers is still a bit of a jump.

But going back to the imaginations of these artists, most of these feel like the artists themselves are still clinging to their own preconceived notions of being smoothy/scaley beasts, while simultaneously and reluctantly accepting the fact that they may have had feathers.

Its kind of like the artist was like... "Fine!... I'll put feathers on the damn thing, but I don't like it... and its not going to be pretty!"

The Areulaugingatmeasaurus.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The Areulaugingatmeasaurus.
    Wrong pose. Imagine you would be a dinosaur. Do you think you could put your tail that high into the air all the time?

That is the reason i believe dinosaurs moved way more head up and back up, more like a typical bird or humanoid. With the tail down on the ground.

Best example is a kangaroo:

Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-01-17 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Pretty sure only SOME dinos had feathers. The raptor sorts did, while the sauropod sorts did not. yes no?
    There's evidence that all therapods (all the two-legged, carnivorous dinos; tyrannosaurus, raptors, carnotaurus, you name it) had feathers.

There's also a possibility that triceratops and relatives had quills.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post

It's pretty frustrating that people deny the fact that therapod dinosaurs had feathers.

I mean we've found imprints in raptor bones that indicate they had feather-like structures protruding from their "arms". We've found fossil imprints of smaller species of raptors that were feathered.

We've even discovered a perfectly preserved dinosaur tail encased in amber that had feathers!
    I believe that some had feathers yes, there is too much proof to deny that SOME had them, but saying ALL therapods did is like saying all humans have hair. Some people are in fact bald. Besides, I have trouble believe all scientific data given their track records; they have changed their minds on dinosaurs so many times it kinda funny.

The only way they are going to convenience people 100% is if they can some how find an entire body intact or some how provide a living specimen. On that note, I personally find them to look ridiculous with feathers, I am not saying that some didn't have them I just say they look stupid as hell. I cannot find them remotely imposing, more comical than anything. Then again, I dislike birds over all so that could explain it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

More likely answer is that it draws a more definitive line for dinosaurs evolving into birds and people don't like that the T-Rex is a glorified chicken.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    Besides, I have trouble believe all scientific data given their track records; they have changed their minds on dinosaurs so many times it kinda funny.
    That's kind of how science works. They find new evidence of something so they adjust their models to accommodate that new evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Probably because they don't have feathers in Jurassic Park/world movies.
    If they had of, I probably would have hated the movies at that point. Just saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    More likely answer is that it draws a more definitive line for dinosaurs evolving into birds and people don't like that the T-Rex is a glorified chicken.

- - - Updated - - -

That's kind of how science works. They find new evidence of something so they adjust their models to accommodate that new evidence.
    That's my problem with their science. I have no issues with finding new evidence, its the arrogant attitude that follows. "Well this IS how they are, we discovered XYZ that says so" only to find something new a few years later that change it. In that field I always go in with the idea that nothing is 100% unless you have living proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    There are people who believe dinosaurs never existed so at this point nothing surprises me with the amount of stupid on this planet.
    dinosaurs supposadly lived for millions of years (the species, not individual ones) yet in all that time, they never managed space flight, never managed any sort of technology, they didnt even manage fire. Yet man, who has only been around for around 200,000 years or so yet in that time we have conquered the planet, and gone to the moon, so yeah I don't belive they existed.
    /sarcasam

as for them having feathers, when you look at it objectivily feathers make complete sense, they act both as an insulator and a cooling system. Can be used to attract mates and as a defense mechanisim.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromes View Post
    didn't they found a raptor of Jurassic Park's size 1-2 years after the movie? I've read some people were jokingly pointing out how JP predicted it. So the only thing were the feathers, which were discovered after the movie unfortunately. But i believe they've said in some of the sequals that "they're not real dinos anyways, since they play with their genetics" so it doesnt really matter in the end.
    I'm not a paleontologist or anything like that, but the animal depicted in the original, and subsequent movies is Deinonychus. The actual Velociraptor was more like dog sized, or a turkey, and I believe heavily feathered. In the most recent movie though they did say something about how all of the dinosaurs had been genetically modified to be different from the originals, I just meant more the general "look" that people associate with the Velociraptor specifically, because of the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    That's my problem with their science. I have no issues with finding new evidence, its the arrogant attitude that follows. "Well this IS how they are, we discovered XYZ that says so" only to find something new a few years later that change it. In that field I always go in with the idea that nothing is 100% unless you have living proof.
    That's been the case throughout scientific history, in all fields.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    dinosaurs supposadly lived for millions of years (the species, not individual ones) yet in all that time, they never managed space flight, never managed any sort of technology, they didnt even manage fire. Yet man, who has only been around for around 200,000 years or so yet in that time we have conquered the planet, and gone to the moon, so yeah I don't belive they existed.
    /sarcasam
    I just watched a Star Trek: Voyager episode where a super advanced species in the Delta quadrant just proved that they're from Earth, and diverged from us millions of years ago! Your point is therefore invalid! And they didn't have feathers! So this thread is wrong! /sarcasm

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Well here's the thing. Dinosaurs look cooler without feathers. Giant turkeys aren't intimidating.

In video games and movies, it's also harder to model and animate feathers than it is to simply not have feathers.

As for Tyrannosaurus having feathers, it's purely a case of extrapolation. Earlier ancestors of Tyrannosaurus had feathers, therefore, people think Tyrannosaurus had feathers.

...Despite the fact that no Tyrannosaurus fossil, of which many have been found in all stages of its life cycle, support it having had feathers, nor do any of the skin impressions of Tyrannosaurus found have any feather impressions. It's entirely likely that an animal as large as Tyrannosaurus simply would have lost all need for feathers as an adult.

Large mammals like elephants and rhinoceros often lack any substantial covering of hair, and hair would likely play the same role on them as on any large, carnivorous dinosaur (as herbivorous dinosaurs didn't have feathers): insulation. A 20 foot tall, 40 foot long 7 ton dinosaur would likely have had little need for insulation in its warm cretaceous environment.

So I still don't sign off on those big fluffy T. Rex renderings. It's the paleontological equivalent of trying to get a rise out of people through shock value.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-01-17 at 11:17 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

So I still don't sign off on those big fluffy T. Rex renderings.

But look how fluffy and cute it is.

More than likely because this is A) Recent information that B) Overturned a lot of old information on a C) Obscure subject and D) still based on second hand evidence (we have remains which point to this but do not in and of themselves confirm that dinosaurs were universally feathered as per the depiction you provided) which is more than reasonable to scrutinize rather than just blindly accepting because some cheerio on mmochampion wants to spread the listen and believe mentality that's turning science into religion.

Deleted

No one denies them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Wrong pose. Imagine you would be a dinosaur. Do you think you could put your tail that high into the air all the time?

That is the reason i believe dinosaurs moved way more head up and back up, more like a typical bird or humanoid. With the tail down on the ground.

Best example is a kangaroo:

A couple of things wrong with your opinion.

First: Paleontologists thought dinosaurs stood like kangaroos in about 1915. Our understanding of them has become much better since then.

Second: Kangaroos don't run, they hop. Dinosaurs did not hop.

Third: Large Dinosaurs wouldn't be able to rest their weight on their tails; they'd break them. Nor were dinosaur tails very flexible. Even small dinosaurs like velociraptor had extensive tendon structure in their tails that prevented them from flexing them in any considerable amount.

Fourth: there's no evidence to support that dinosaurs dragged their tails. No fossil trackways have been found with conspicuous "solid lines" dragging behind them, as would be indicative of tail dragging.

Fifth and ultimately: Theropod and sauropod dinosaurs were built like suspension cranes. Their heads were balanced by their heavy tails. So yes, they did hold their tail up behind them at all times, because their bodies were specifically built with that body structure in mind. Even the largest dinosaurs and subsequently largest land animals ever to exist, the sauropods, held their tails in the air behind them.

So yes, dinosaurs did stand in poses similar to the one seen in the toy. They did not stand like kangaroos.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post

No one denies them.
    That's photoshopped. You can't fool me.