I don't want a vacation till March. Eitherways watching people argue with him is kinda painful
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by oathy View Post
    The trust they put in the players.
    you always had a variation of rotations (no matter what the class) it never got boring.
    Wth? Most specs had only a few attacks/spells.
    The Game was made easier as they assumed the difficulty of some of it was putting people off. Those people never arrived and they managed to actually drive people away.
    The peak for subs was at WotLK/Cata. A time when the game was "easier".

Deleted
    The good: The journey from level 1 to 60 took a long time, brought you to all kinds of different places, and was generally pretty good.

The bad: The overall design of the game wasn't as good, and end game had a bunch of issues. Classes were very simple (Unless they had some "obscure" mechanics, such as warriors Slam), they were very poorly balanced (With some being utterly useless for pretty much all kinds of content), and progression in late game had issues. End game content is what some people loved about Vanilla though, so not everyone will agree with me there, but it certainly depends on what kind of player you are. Spending a ton of time with nothing to show for it was par for the course back then, and that kind of gameplay isn't for everyone.

I was on Nostalrius when it was still up, and I had a blast from 1-60, but quickly lost interest at max level. The journey to 60 was great though!

One thing objectively: It was new

Subjectively: People find stupid shit like the fact you had to drink after every mob enjoyable because it made the game "harder" when it literally only made you do things slowly/waste time. Everyone has one knick knack or another they miss, for me I did enjoy the day long AVs, was something special about going to bed and coming back to the same AV where you could spend a hour pushing for a graveyard (though I don't have the free time I did during my teenage years to grind around in 1 AV).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post

The peak for subs was at WotLK/Cata. A time when the game was "easier".
    Well players had far more abilities but in terms of actual rotations they were awful, for a lot of classes basically non existent. It's definitely one of the things Legion does better - no doubt about that.

There's no way to really know but it's always made sense to me that WotlK is where the game really started to change and when the subscription numbers flatten out. Vanilla and TBC was on steady increase, WotLK was actually quite flat with a peak increase at the end for Lich King which makes sense. At this point people started to leave as much as people started to join. It was the first time I ever unsubbed and it was because I didn't like what they were doing.

I'm weird in that I actually liked the beginning of Cataclysm before they nerfed everything into the ground. Had a blast.

People find stupid shit like the fact you had to drink after every mob enjoyable because it made the game "harder" when it literally only made you do things slowly/waste time
    Mana management was important, I do miss that. Not so much in the levelling aspect of it, but for the rest of the game.

Levelling is beyond ridiculous now though, even without heirlooms. It's absolutely retarded, basically one and two shot everything. Zero threat, zero need to use your classes full toolkit. Just lol I'm a super god everything dies. This really destroys the sense of adventure and for me is no fun what so ever. The story and cutscenes could be cool if they came with an actual sense of danger.They don't though, so you just don't care.
    Last edited by Lahiri; 2017-01-17 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahiri View Post
    Well players had far more abilities but in terms of actual rotations they were awful, for a lot of classes basically non existent. It's definitely one of the things Legion does better - no doubt about that.

There's no way to really know but it's always made sense to me that WotlK is where the game really started to change and when the subscription numbers flatten out. Vanilla and TBC was on steady increase, WotLK was actually quite flat with a peak increase at the end for Lich King which makes sense. At this point people started to leave as much as people started to join. It was the first time I ever unsubbed and it was because I didn't like what they were doing.

I'm weird in that I actually liked the beginning of Cataclysm before they nerfed everything into the ground. Had a blast.
    You aren't weird. Early cata was prob the best iteration of 5 mans till M+

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Let me help you with that selective memory. When his post was made you said and I quote: "This is my character and guess what, I out rank you. Time to sit down and listen to your master, since you're pulling this bullshit out." YOU are the one that got upset and turned it into something it wasn't.
    I submitted a screenshot with literally no comment and people manage to find something to assume out of it.

To me the game was much simpler. It was a grind for most things but I personally enjoyed that. Is the current game better or worse? I'm not sure, they just seem like two different games in the same universe. I did enjoy the original 1-60 questing experience better then cataclysms. Just preferences though.
    Yeah, I just came back from the spirit world, and I have an important message from a certain horse...it would like for you not to keep beating

You aren't weird. Early cata was prob the best iteration of 5 mans till M+
    I loved them. They were so engaging and fun. I was also playing a tank class for the first time which was a whole new challenge for me. That's just how I feel a game should be. I was perfectly happy tanking for groups that hadn't done one of them before, wiping a couple of times and working through it with them, then succeeding. To me that is what makes a game interesting.

WotlK dungeons were awful and one of the reasons I unsubbed for my first time. Complete AoEfest where nothing you did mattered in the slightest. I don't understand how people can enjoy that style of play, where your actions are so inconsequential. I don't really understand how we got to the point of heroics having to be doable by all without any effort. Isn't that what normal mode was for? So then they had to add more difficulties, makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by Lahiri; 2017-01-17 at 10:27 PM.

Actually with this you would be pretty wrong. All classes had tons of spells and abilities but what they didn't always have was the ability to use them. Bosses were very limited on the amount of DoTs/Debuffs they could have on them at one time. So for the most part unless you just had a specific reason for your DoT to be there they were essentially unuseable. Its what led so many classes to being limited to one or two spells for the most part. If you go back and look at the number of abilities most classes had, especially when you factor in the ones you could talent into, there was a crap ton.

Classes also had alot more situational abilities, especially hybrids. Things that weren't used that often, but were used from time to time and could be very helpful if used properly.

If bosses would have allowed the amount of DoTs that we have today on bosses, the landscape of classes and their abilities would have been much larger. You could fill a page up with things that weren't allowed simply due to how bosses were structured back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    And then I showed mine and you two got upset. Good times.
    Actually, you first dismissed all his claims of him being a vanilla player, then dismissed his proof when he showed you concrete proof that he was indeed a vanilla player. You even mentioned your vanilla PvP was higher than his, and that somehow meant that his opinion had no merit, for some unknown reason.

Thread got closed cause I and many other people were speaking about private servers. Talk about out of context or twisting.
    Kyanion didn't say the megathread got closed because of "those type" of comments. Talk about out of context or twisting.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Actually with this you would be pretty wrong. All classes had tons of spells and abilities but what they didn't always have was the ability to use them. Bosses were very limited on the amount of DoTs/Debuffs they could have on them at one time. So for the most part unless you just had a specific reason for your DoT to be there they were essentially unuseable. Its what led so many classes to being limited to one or two spells for the most part. If you go back and look at the number of abilities most classes had, especially when you factor in the ones you could talent into, there was a crap ton.

Classes also had alot more situational abilities, especially hybrids. Things that weren't used that often, but were used from time to time and could be very helpful if used properly.

If bosses would have allowed the amount of DoTs that we have today on bosses, the landscape of classes and their abilities would have been much larger. You could fill a page up with things that weren't allowed simply due to how bosses were structured back then.
    Had a lot to do with most of the debuffs being awful and scaling horribly, too.
    Judgment of the crusader was totally worth being up on the boss

Quote Originally Posted by tyrs ankle View Post
    Had a lot to do with most of the debuffs being awful and scaling horribly, too.
    Judgment of the crusader was totally worth being up on the boss
    Well yes that was some of it too. It also had to compete with debuffs that were just flat out better in every way possible and benefited the entire raid as opposed to your specific spec. But things like bleeds, dots from warlocks, etc., actually damaging abilities weren't allowed to be used because of the same reason. I think it was originally limited to 8, later bumped to 16 I think, which in a group of 40, ain't much.

Well yes that was some of it too. It also had to compete with debuffs that were just flat out better in every way possible and benefited the entire raid as opposed to your specific spec. But things like bleeds, dots from warlocks, etc., actually damaging abilities weren't allowed to be used because of the same reason. I think it was originally limited to 8, later bumped to 16 I think, which in a group of 40, ain't much.
    Not to mention that 70% of any classes toolkit were highly situational, if ever used.
    I can count the number of times I used windwall totem with 1 hand.

Actually with this you would be pretty wrong. All classes had tons of spells and abilities but what they didn't always have was the ability to use them.
    Hence they weren't used in a rotation as was claimed.

Hence they weren't used in a rotation as was claimed.
    What I quoted had no mention of the word " rotation" in it.

What I quoted had no mention of the word " rotation" in it.
    The post I responded to had.

The post I responded to had.
    He said the " rotation varied" which it most certainly could depending on what content you were doing. I used far more abilities in 5 mans than I ever did in raiding.

He said the " rotation varied" which it most certainly could depending on what content you were doing. I used far more abilities in 5 mans than I ever did in raiding.
    What abilities and what class? I'm genuinely curious what bs you're going to spin.

Polymorhp is still not a rotational ability, it's situational.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrs ankle View Post
    What abilities and what class? I'm genuinely curious what bs you're going to spin.
    I was a Holy Paladin in Vanilla. Raiding certainly was pretty stat with FoL spam and decursing like a mofo. 5 mans however I healed, I could do some DPS, and I tanked as that same spec. I got to use abilities that were never used in raiding, especially the holy damage abilities and such. I saw Rogues bleed and kite, certainly something like Balance Druids got to use different abilities in 5 mans as well ( yay insect swarm).

Even in raiding though things did change up a bit when you had a boss that had a phase that worked well for using certain judgements.