Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    To be fair, when you have a design from 1911, and you introduce hollowpoints that will not feed in the only gun really MADE in 45acp at the time, it's more the ammo's fault than the guns, IMO.

Though, nowadays there are a lot of 45s made by a variety of manufacturers and hollowpoints are also made a lot better than the early days, so you shouldn't need to worry about ammo sensitivity. If you find one brand your gun won't feed, that's an ammo/ tolerance issue, but if your gun won't feed a variety than there's a gun issue. You shouldn't have to polish a feedramp (and that's not "break in") on a new gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Colt wasn't too bad with sending my case years ago (within the 2 months they stated up front), but Remington screwed me out of a rebate. Trying to talk to folks on the phone got me no where and so I just won't buy their crap again.
    The case came like 5 days after I registered for the legion stuff
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

It's easy for a news article to get hysterical over suppressors because journalists "know" from TV and movies that "silencers" make a 9mm pistol shot indoors sound like opening a can of soda that's being held under a pillow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Some good news: Chicago lost again at 7th circuit over its ridiculous restrictions on firing ranges:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a7244e028873
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will not own a weapon of war, but I hear good things about the AK line of weapons. So when CNN mentioned that they will make/sell weapons in the USA next month I thought I'd share. It seems like a "good get" for the gun-owning community. Who knows -- maybe the US military will swap weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I will not own a weapon of war, but I hear good things about the AK line of weapons. So when CNN mentioned that they will make/sell weapons in the USA next month I thought I'd share. It seems like a "good get" for the gun-owning community. Who knows -- maybe the US military will swap weapons?
    Why would they swap?
    They have billions of $$ wrapped up in the M/16/4 etc. already.

Not a weapon of war...it LOOKs like it .
    But I feel like it was a BAIT statement so....letting that go.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2017-01-23 at 05:05 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if I didn't already have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Why would they swap?
    IF (key word) it's a generally better product, and made in America, why wouldn't they? Just because you've always been using an inferior product, doesn't mean you should keep using an inferior product.

Again: key word "if".

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Not a weapon of war...it LOOKs like it .
    The AK-47 is a weapon of war, and I hear great things about specifically its reliability and quality. That's the reference I was making, not about the specific items being sold to American civilians. Sorry for the confusion.

EVO is about to go into surgery.

Swapping to an HBi-K series hand guard and muzzle get chopped down further to 5"

My local smith has been out of town for SHOT Show, so he should be back soon.

Going to be paired up with a Gemtech MK9K suppressor.

The AK family is certainly reliable, but so are the M16 based firearms. If there was a shift in weapon selection it'd still be in a similar style to the M16/M4, as evidenced by the popularity of HK's 416 (even the name is derivative...).

Kalashnikov USA has been around for a couple years now, but I don't think they've released any actual products. One of the attributes of the AK was it's price ("$50 or a sack of grain!") so building it not just in America, but in South florida? Seems iffy for long term success. Plus we have good relations with Romania and Bulgaria, both of which are good AK makers, that's why we contracted them to supply AK's to Iraq.

On a different note, the Army has decided to switch to SIG for the handguns, to replace the Beretta M9. Nothing against the SIG 320 myself, but it's sort of amusing when they tout the modularity when the parts cost nearly as much as a new gun. I seriously doubt they extra parts will see much use over just having guns already set up. It is even more amusing that it took millions of dollars to decide, but lots of testing to be done I suppose. Some question about ammo, but I really don't see the USA moving away from 9mm NATO.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Kalashnikov USA has been around for a couple years now, but I don't think they've released any actual products.
    Right, the linked article says something about issues with setting up factories or the like. They wanted to be up and running a couple years ago.

The AK family is certainly reliable, but so are the M16 based firearms. If there was a shift in weapon selection it'd still be in a similar style to the M16/M4, as evidenced by the popularity of HK's 416 (even the name is derivative...).

Kalashnikov USA has been around for a couple years now, but I don't think they've released any actual products. One of the attributes of the AK was it's price ("$50 or a sack of grain!") so building it not just in America, but in South florida? Seems iffy for long term success. Plus we have good relations with Romania and Bulgaria, both of which are good AK makers, that's why we contracted them to supply AK's to Iraq.

On a different note, the Army has decided to switch to SIG for the handguns, to replace the Beretta M9. Nothing against the SIG 320 myself, but it's sort of amusing when they tout the modularity when the parts cost nearly as much as a new gun. I seriously doubt they extra parts will see much use over just having guns already set up. It is even more amusing that it took millions of dollars to decide, but lots of testing to be done I suppose. Some question about ammo, but I really don't see the USA moving away from 9mm NATO.
    I'm not sure what you're on about. First, the fee for parts for the Army will certainly be far less than what we pay. While Sig charges a fee for the frames, they certainly aren't near the price of a new gun. Secondly, it would make sense that they would want a modular housing setup considering that not all frames are needed. Remember, we adopted the Commander frame 1911 for a reason.

I don't see the need to move away from the 9mm. Handguns are a secondary weapon not a primary and are generally only implemented under failures or time of extreme need. In that sense, round count is arguably much more important. Equally, NATO loves the idea of bullets not killing people. I'm not sure how that works in their mind but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    I'm not sure what you're on about. First, the fee for parts for the Army will certainly be far less than what we pay. While Sig charges a fee for the frames, they certainly aren't near the price of a new gun. Secondly, it would make sense that they would want a modular housing setup considering that not all frames are needed. Remember, we adopted the Commander frame 1911 for a reason.
    Gripframe + slide+ barrel is what I meant. It's handy if you are changing to a thinner grip frame of the same size, sure, but changing a full sized gun to a compact gun will run close money and be more trouble than just having a full size gun and a compact gun in storage.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see the need to move away from the 9mm. Handguns are a secondary weapon not a primary and are generally only implemented under failures or time of extreme need. In that sense, round count is arguably much more important. Equally, NATO loves the idea of bullets not killing people. I'm not sure how that works in their mind but it does.
    Part of the development cycle for the MHS included ammo designs. The SIG was submitted as a 9mm and a 40, with specific ammo for each. Might just be some kind of expanding round, not sure.

Gripframe + slide+ barrel is what I meant. It's handy if you are changing to a thinner grip frame of the same size, sure, but changing a full sized gun to a compact gun will run close money and be more trouble than just having a full size gun and a compact gun in storage.

- - - Updated - - -

Part of the development cycle for the MHS included ammo designs. The SIG was submitted as a 9mm and a 40, with specific ammo for each. Might just be some kind of expanding round, not sure.
    I doubt it. HP ammo or expanding ammo is banned under NATO if I remember correctly.

I doubt it. HP ammo or expanding ammo is banned under NATO if I remember correctly.
    I forget the details, of which Convention it is, but we've had lawyers decide that some of our forces can use HP of one sort or another before. It's entirely possible the Army has decided they can justify a Hollow Point, but it could also be some other design like Ruger's ARX. I don't know, was just mentioning it because the 40 caliber IS a possibility from the testing. I don't believe they'd swap from NATO, but the swap was part of the test so it's possible.

I forget the details, of which Convention it is, but we've had lawyers decide that some of our forces can use HP of one sort or another before. It's entirely possible the Army has decided they can justify a Hollow Point, but it could also be some other design like Ruger's ARX. I don't know, was just mentioning it because the 40 caliber IS a possibility from the testing. I don't believe they'd swap from NATO, but the swap was part of the test so it's possible.
    hmm

https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-the-M...-hollow-points

So perhaps costs have been a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    IF (key word) it's a generally better product, and made in America, why wouldn't they? Just because you've always been using an inferior product, doesn't mean you should keep using an inferior product.
    The AK platform is not a generally better product than the M4 platform.

The AK-47 is a weapon of war, and I hear great things about specifically its reliability and quality.
    Kalashnikov USA is not selling AK-47's. They're selling AK platform semi-automatic clones designed for the civilian market.

The AK-47 that's a "weapon of war" is an automatic firearm.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I love that the gun control thread stopped being about guns and turned into people talking about their guns.

Speaking of which, first thing I want to get my hands on when I move to the states (and can legally purchase) is something like this:

Guns with good wooden furnishings make my johnson tingle.

I will not own a weapon of war
    Yea, join the club buddy. Neither will most folks since they are rare and super expensive in the civilian market. Fortunately we have AR-15s which are a fantastic alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjavitis View Post
    Yea, join the club buddy. Neither will most folks since they are rare and super expensive in the civilian market. Fortunately we have AR-15s which are a fantastic alternative.
    Hey now, even down in upside down-under land we can still own Lee Enfields. Those are weapons of war, right?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    Hey now, even down in upside down-under land we can still own Lee Enfields. Those are weapons of war, right?
    Any weapon is. Such as axes, bows and knives. Even rocks have been used in wars. :P