Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    This is total bullshit!!!! Bradley Manning is a traitor to this country and a scumbag. He is no better than Benedict Arnold! He shouldve been left to rot in hell. I really hope President Trump can find some way to reverse this travesty of justice!!! I am beyond outraged, I am LIVID!!!!!
    So a completely good call.

Thanks for the heads up.

This is total bullshit!!!! Bradley Manning is a traitor to this country and a scumbag. He is no better than Benedict Arnold! He shouldve been left to rot in hell. I really hope President Trump can find some way to reverse this travesty of justice!!! I am beyond outraged, I am LIVID!!!!!
    says the man who supports trump... Cant support the hacking of Hillary and the dnc and then get upset when he communes manning.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Actually, mass spying in other countries also is illegal. At least in the other countries.
    nope,not at all. No international law violation simply because nations don't exist as moral actor in international scale. The country can't spy on its own citizen if they have laws against it, but can and should spy on other countries including allies. Spies tell you what other leader is thinking, thereby removing some instability in international relation.

Deleted
    This is the beauty of this forum, whenever you arnt sure about your position on something posted on gen-ot, you just wait for Orlong to post his opinion and then you take a stance 180 degrees opposite to it and you can rest assured knowing you didnt bring the world another step closer to destruction.

On topic:

Corrent me if im wrong but wasnt Chelsea Manning the one that leaked the diplomatic cables and the video of bombing journalists (?) as well as some information about the middle east wars?

I am not entirely sure how that is similar to the snowden case.

Also can people please stop being petty and calling her ''Bradley'' or ''Him/It'', at this point all you are doing is being petty for the sake of pettyness and doing so makes me unwilling to even look into the drivel you are posting, let alone engage with you in any kind of meaningfull discussion.

Also, I dont think you give people enough credit for having a nuanced opinion when you think that people who voted for hillary automatically hate wikileaks, people are able to make both good and bad actions.

Having said that, from what I remember there was very little damaging in the leaked e-mails.

Also I doubt that Assagne will turn himself in because of this and in doing that he will most certainly lose some credibility, so in that case its a win-win for Obama.

The thing I am surprised by is so far the lack of Trumpsters saying that their god emperor will easily overturn this by the time he becomes president, especially considering the fact he thinks Chelsea Manning should be shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Great move to discredit assange once he refuses to turn himself in as promised.Maybe he does knowing that Trump will forgive him.
    thats pretty much what will happen, no point celebrating yet.
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I'll admit there were no reported deaths directly related to the leaks, however it allowed terrorist cells the opportunity to evade our surveillance.
    If they use any modern form of communication, the NSA was and still is recording it all.

So the way to evade our surveillance remains - just as it was before programs like XKeyscore - don't use the internet, or use plaintext codewords from non-flagged accounts, ips, and modes of communication if you do need to digital technology.

Example: Rather than calling up your terrorist-bro in America and planning out 9/11, you tell your young cousin (analog communication) to log onto WoW and whisper his cousin in America, to organize a raid on Stormwind at 9pm on the 11th (codewords), who subsequently tells his uncle in America (analog), who is your terrorist-bro.

Or, make your plans the next time your cell meets up for tea and crumpets on their next trip to Mecca - and then don't put your attack into your google calendar, or email reminders out, or talk about it on the phone, or etc.

Snowden's whole leak was like, "Hey America, the NSA is violating every privacy right you have, and is continuing to do so" - and then we did nothing about it, so the NSA has continued to expand their capability for the last decade: what they can do now probably blows the old invasions Snowden knew about out of the water.

So really, nothing was compromised except our privacy - but I'd argue privacy is inherently obsolete in the age of internet. Constitutionally our government isn't supposed to do that, but the constitution was written before the first steam train - it had no idea what the internet would do to the world centuries later.

I think it was right for Snowden to expose what the NSA was doing, I think he's a whistleblower and a patriot as a result, but I don't ultimately think the NSA should stop doing what it does - because that's how the world works now. The constitution needs to be updated to reflect the new reality of a post-internet world - but telling people they have no right to privacy would piss people off - so it hasn't been done yet.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-01-18 at 12:27 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    This is the beauty of this forum, whenever you arnt sure about your position on something posted on gen-ot, you just wait for Orlong to post his opinion and then you take a stance 180 degrees opposite to it and you can rest assured knowing you didnt bring the world another step closer to destruction.

Now i can go to bed knowing something good has happened.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Incorrect. Ford pardoned Nixon without him ever going to trial.

The crime does not need to be specified. They can just give a date range.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_4311
    I see this happening in our future with Pence/Trump. Trump is gonna push it as far as he can before getting caught, then Pence wipes it away.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    Also can people please stop being petty and calling her ''Bradley'' or ''Him/It'', at this point all you are doing is being petty for the sake of pettyness and doing so makes me unwilling to even look into the drivel you are posting, let alone engage with you in any kind of meaningfull discussion.
    Im sorry but I dont recognize gender changes

Man, I haven't seen someone this mad since Nazi Obama banned microbeads in shower soap.

Huge Victory for freedom fighters !

Im sorry but I dont recognize gender changes
    Who let grandpa out of the straight jacket?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Even with that said, Manning is the equivalent of a street level dealer and became the fall for king pin. Assange is the king pin. I doubt Assange will actually turn himself in but I'm willing to bet that something bigger is happening behind the scenes.
    Assange was not a servicemember with a TS/SCI clearance, though I would shed no tears if he came face to face with an umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    They can't tell you, state secret. Unless you want them to wind up like Manning.
    Iirc you can't claim state secret when being officially inquired by the senate

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Even with that said, Manning is the equivalent of a street level dealer and became the fall for king pin. Assange is the king pin. I doubt Assange will actually turn himself in but I'm willing to bet that something bigger is happening behind the scenes.
    Manning was the one who broke his clearance to reveal the information. Whether Assange put him up to it, or whether Manning contacted Assange after it was done - is ultimately irrelevant - the reason for the breach was Manning either way (unless, though not true in this case, if Assange had blackmailed Chelsea in which case you could make a duress argument - but again that's not the case here).

Do remember that what Manning exposed was evidence of war crimes, and it's arguable that revealing criminal activity is a valid reason to break secret clearance: clearly it didn't work out for Chelsea - but secret clearance is meant to be for our protection, not an oath of Omerta that supercedes the rule of law.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-01-18 at 01:48 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Assange was not a servicemember with a TS/SCI clearance, though I would shed no tears if he came face to face with an umbrella.
    You truly sound like a lovely person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    What a strange thing to hope for, that someone gets attacked by an umbrella...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    What a strange thing to hope for, that someone gets attacked by an umbrella...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_umbrella

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, you learn something new every day

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    And why shouldnt he?

- - - Updated - - -

He should not even be sentenced. Actually, Mr. Snowden did america a favor.
    they released classified documents. Period that is illegal in every country with shit thats classified. This is just obama giving trump the middle finger and not giving a shit. Chelsea knew what he was doing was wrong, did it anyways. dude should get every year of his sentence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    You forgot the part about informing Americans that their 4th amendment rights were being violated on a daily basis...
    you mean the ones with thier heads in the sand that didnt allready guess it was happening. I dobut there is a country on earth that doesnt spy on thier own population.