Nighthold gear strategy (Frost)

I'm curious what the communities opinion is on how to gear Frost for Nighthold (Oblit spec currently)

My anecdotal experience thus far has me learning toward gearing for AoE, a lot of the encounters include adds of some sort and using the HecticAddCleave option of SimCraft gives me Mastery / Crit, with Patchwerk (single target) giving Haste / Crit (Vers very close behind).

What say you min/maxers? Cleave or Single target?

Frosts stat weights are pretty fluid so focusing on one particular combination is likely to be a bad idea. For BoS (which should be the main focus rather than the encounter type) then it's meant to be round 30% Haste, Frost innately seems to like around 25% crit and then it's Mastery/Versa from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Frosts stat weights are pretty fluid so focusing on one particular combination is likely to be a bad idea. For BoS (which should be the main focus rather than the encounter type) then it's meant to be round 30% Haste, Frost innately seems to like around 25% crit and then it's Mastery/Versa from there.
    Is there a consensus on BoS vs Oblit? Review logs tonight i see a few top performers still using Oblit but the majority do seem to be Breath specd
    Last edited by Felstone; 2017-01-18 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felstone View Post
    Is there a consensus on on BoS vs Oblit? Review logs tonight i see a few top performers still using Oblit but the majority do seem to be Breath specd
    Not yet, I certainly can't speak of it since I don't PTR and EU only just got NH. If you can stick to the boss during BoS then it's the clear winner but on encounters with lots of movement and target swapping then the old Obra/GA build is going to be better.

I'm only 876 but was in a NH normal PuG last night. I'm running FSc/GA and on any fight with adds I was near if not on top of DPS while single target I was in the middle.

Is there a consensus on BoS vs Oblit? Review logs tonight i see a few top performers still using Oblit but the majority do seem to be Breath specd
    I used BoS all night and had good results with it. The numbers will only go up as we continue to learn the fight/acquire 2pc/4pc. I have the legendary helm so my HB damage is already mega high. I'm going to play BoS as it will outperform OB/RA consistently as we progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Where are you seeing 30% haste? I'm not saying you're wrong by any means but I have personally only seen 20% haste, 25(+5)% crit and then vers/mast for single/aoe respectively.

This is for BoS build I am talking about.

There is without a doubt more Cleave damage in NH, but almost all of it is scumbag/useless damage.

Scorpion all worthless damage, even on mythic.
    Spellblade is legit AoE.
    Tich is pretty worthless padding (Assuming you kill enough bats to get buffs for everyone)
    Botanist is Scumbag on heroic, but on Mythic they actually heal to 100% so cleaving is 100% worthless.

While there is AoE on almost every fight, most of it i pointless padding for sub parplayers trying to Rank.

During progression the pure ST aspect of most fights will be Mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesquish View Post
    There is without a doubt more Cleave damage in NH, but almost all of it is scumbag/useless damage.

Spellblade is legit AoE.
    Tich is pretty worthless padding (Assuming you kill enough bats to get buffs for everyone)
    Botanist is Scumbag on heroic, but on Mythic they actually heal to 100% so cleaving is 100% worthless.

While there is AoE on almost every fight, most of it i pointless padding for sub parplayers trying to Rank.

If a mechanic of the fight is to kill adds, killing them faster is not scumbag/useless. If you don't kill the adds on scorpion quickly the adds may stay up too long from passive cleave. You should just kill them right away and then go back to ST the boss, that is the most efficient playstyle and if you don't go for the efficient path, you are sub par.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious what the communities opinion is on how to gear Frost for Nighthold (Oblit spec currently)

My anecdotal experience thus far has me learning toward gearing for AoE, a lot of the encounters include adds of some sort and using the HecticAddCleave option of SimCraft gives me Mastery / Crit, with Patchwerk (single target) giving Haste / Crit (Vers very close behind).

What say you min/maxers? Cleave or Single target?
    BoS for every fight is legit

few are staying RA OB to learn the raid then swapping over when tier drops for them.

Quote Originally Posted by UnholyGrazer View Post
    If a mechanic of the fight is to kill adds, killing them faster is not scumbag/useless. If you don't kill the adds on scorpion quickly the adds may stay up too long from passive cleave. You should just kill them right away and then go back to ST the boss, that is the most efficient playstyle and if you don't go for the efficient path, you are sub par.
    Those adds will NEVER over run you. Ever. A single person would kill them without help if it came down to it. Its essentially pure scumbag damage, so much to the point that add damage will be removed from Warcraftlogs Allstar rankings.

To get more on Topic:

If you dont have the Breath Legendaries, just go with the standard 30% Crit, 23-25% Haste(After the RE change 20% doesnt feel like enough) and just get the rest in Mastery/Vers at any rate, although I prob wouldnt go above 8% Vers.

Deleted
    Anyone has an idea what the best trinkets are for frost in nighthold? Playing BoS myself.

Just gonna through this out there for everyone. your stats, other than Strength, mean nothing. Strength is insanely good right now and there is not reason to bother yourself with trying to figure out the best secondary stats. Anyone that is giving you a % to shoot for is either poorly miss informed or they're just lying right to your faces.

Any strength upgrade is 99% of the time going to be an upgrade for you. Yes BoS values crit more that MG builds because you arent attacking as fast so your getting less chances to crit than in BoS builds. That's about it.

Think about it for a second. BoS does 287.5% AP per second. Oblit is like 935% AP or something like that and with the way BoS works your are saving GCDs that you would use on Frost strike and instead using them on more Oblit, which scales way harder with Strength, and rime procs which also scale well with strength. All of this put together makes BoS builds scale so well with strength that regardless of what the stats are on the piece, unless the piece takes away your tier bonus, then you should always go for the higher ilvl option.

I just want people to stop spreading bullshit stat weights and ideal %s when there really arent any. the only real thing you need is highish crit. which youll probably just end up getting anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluffen View Post
    Anyone has an idea what the best trinkets are for frost in nighthold? Playing BoS myself.
    Probably best to just sim the trinkets on your toon, but if i had to pick 2 from NH it would be the Elemental Foci and Convergence of Fates. Both have good strength on them and decent effects. that being said i have been told that Horn of Valor is really really good and could be better than those if you get a high ilvl one.

Poisongaz's only mostly right, IMO. You need that haste, too. Mastery v Vers v Crit v Haste past 25/25 is pretty irrelevant and will depend on your personal preferences and damage breakdown, but if you're running like 5% haste you're gonna seriously struggle to keep BoS or Icy Talons up.

Re Trinkets, Convergence is fantastic, but it's wayyyyy better for Retadins than it is for us (wings cd). Krosus trinket seems okay, Skorpy trinket will be decent for add fights.
    Last edited by Ashaeron; 2017-01-19 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaeron View Post
    Poisongaz's only mostly right, IMO. You need that haste, too. Mastery v Vers v Crit v Haste past 25/25 is pretty irrelevant and will depend on your personal preferences and damage breakdown, but if you're running like 5% haste you're gonna seriously struggle to keep BoS or Icy Talons up.

Re Trinkets, Convergence is fantastic, but it's wayyyyy better for Retardins than it is for us (wings cd). Krosus trinket seems okay, Skorpy trinket will be decent for add fights.
    Just got insanely nerfed for Rets.

You're gonna want all the Crit/Haste tier pieces for sure. Keep chain running as high level Maw you can, Angerboda is retarded strong. If you can grab Horn of Valor that's great too.

Surprised more people dont look at the PvP trinkets

if you just do some RBGs on the side or 3s arena you can have

Fearless Gladiator's Insignia of Victory
    Legion Season 2 Elite
    Item Level 885+
    Binds when picked up
    Unique-Equipped
    Trinket
    +1,116 Versatility (2.35% @ L110)
    Equip: When you deal damage you have a chance to gain 4842 Strength for 20 sec.
    Requires Level 110

55 second ICD 15% Proc chance (no RPPM procs every 56-61 second garunteed basicly)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesquish View Post

Spellblade is legit AoE.

After wiping on this tonight i have to agree, also nerf Doomkins.