Poll: Do you sell tokens for gold?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I have always wondered what kind of players are buying gold. People with low playtime? lazy people? aliens?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    So for those like myself who buy and sell tokens for gold this is great and hopefully it grows BUT I am curious how many sell tokens?
    lol

Sell tokens...

Why would I spend real money on the game?

Anybody who buys gold with real money is a sucker.

Why would you want to play a game that requires you to buy resources with real money?

Not to mention, gold is so easy to get, you can have millions of gold with minimal effort, if you only invest some thought into it.

You don't even need to waste time farming shit for hours, just get yourself alchemy and inscription, sell flasks, potions, glyphs and vantus runes. Done. You have to invest maybe a couple of minutes each day to loot your mailbox and relist auctions. Oh well, go ahead and buy gametime for me, if that's too hard for you to figure out.
    Last edited by mmoc841a2d9c40; 2017-01-18 at 01:49 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Also I believe there is a threshold over which token won't sell anyway because too expensive and it seems that currently we are approaching that the token is tanking at around 118K
    The thing is that the actual price will never exceed such a theoretical threshold because of the way the price adapts to supply and demand and because of how different people value gold relative to real money.

In very basic terms, the higher the price goes, the more attractive it becomes for people to sell tokens for gold and the less attractive it becomes for other people to buy tokens for gold, which will act as a natural force applying downward pressure on the price. If the price ever started approaching the threshold at which it becomes unaffordable, then token sales will slow, forcing the price to drop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Enchanting market is pretty good. Make that amount in about a week just flipping mats into enchants.
    Enchanting is terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Or, get a job, since you are putting as much\more effort into a game as you would into a part-time job
    Wow. How can someone be this dumb. You're not putting in as much effort as a part-time job would require. It's a couple of minutes each day. I spend more time on the shitter each day. I guess I should quit that too and get a part-time job instead, huh? Fucking moron.

INFRACTION
    Last edited by Saracens; 2017-01-18 at 02:50 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Sth View Post
    lol

Sell tokens...

Why would you? By the sounds of things you wouldn't. Why would someone else? I thought it was obvious, but here goes:

It takes time and effort to make gold in the game. It takes time and effort to make money in the world. If the time it takes you to make the $$ in the real world is significantly less than the time it takes you to make the gold you could get from selling a token, then it's basic common sense to spend real money buying a token.

So if I earn $100 per hour, but I can only make 1000g per hour in the game, spending 12 minutes of work time makes a lot more sense than spending 100 hours grinding gold.

Anyone who wastes time in game grinding gold is a sucker...

Why would you want to play a game that requires you to buy resources with real money?
    The game doesn't require you to buy resources with real money. That being said, why would you want to devote hours of time in a game to making gold when you can earn the money to buy that gold in a fraction of time?

Not to mention, gold is so easy to get, you can have millions of gold with minimal effort, if you only invest some thought into it.
    Not really true though. The price of the tokens by it's dynamic nature will always land up at the point where the quantity of gold is not that easy to get. Because if it really were easy to get that much gold, then everyone would want to buy them for gold and no one would want to spend real money buying them.

Unlike random people trying to impress random strangers with their gold making prowess on a gaming forum, the token is an actual barometer of how "easy" gold is to get.

I think it's actually pretty interesting looking at this poll because it indicates that about 15% of players are buying tokens with real money (assuming the sample on MMO-C is reasonably representative of the WoW community at large). This means that probably around 15% of people buy tokens with gold. Which means that for 85% of players, 120K is a lot of gold.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. How can someone be this dumb. You're not putting in as much effort as a part-time job would require. It's a couple of minutes each day. I spend more time on the shitter each day. I guess I should quit that too and get a part-time job instead, huh? Fucking moron.
    You know, when someone calls someone else a fucking moron on the internet, it's generally a good idea to make sure that your own expressed opinion doesn't make the irony quite so obvious.

FYI, for a person who earns $100 per hour, that is 12 minutes to earn the cash to buy a token, which is 40 seconds per day, which I guarantee you is less time than you spend doing whatever it is you do to make the gold. Hell, even earning minimum wage (what's that about $10 per hour?) you'd still only spend 4 minutes a day.

Personally I devote 15-20 mins a day to using the AH. Granted, I make a lot more than I need for just the token (but sadly not enough to throw gold cap a swift Zulian Tiger like someone else on my server did the other day) but that's still 10 hours a month.

The only reason it makes any economic sense for me to spend gold on tokens/game time is that I would be spending that time playing WoW regardless, because I enjoy it. There have certainly been times though where I have had to consciously throttle back on making gold when it was no longer fun, and if it ever gets to the point where I find am not getting some kind of satisfaction out of the time I spend making gold, I'll gladly go back to buying my game time for cash, or even consider spending some cash on buying tokens to sell for gold.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2017-01-18 at 02:17 PM.

You seem awfully defensive and aggressive.

Maybe, deep inside, you know you are slowly wasting your time away and, with similar effort in a specific place, you would be earning more than virtual gold to purchase an hobby subscription.

Am I right?

lol

Sell tokens...

You don't even need to waste time farming shit for hours, just get yourself alchemy and inscription, sell flasks, potions, glyphs and vantus runes. Done. You have to invest maybe a couple of minutes each day to loot your mailbox and relist auctions. Oh well, go ahead and buy gametime for me, if that's too hard for you to figure out.
    Because i am rich and i dont give a fuck about 15$, because the time i spend on game is less valuable than the time i spend on making real life money

Instead of grinding hours for 100k gold i can simply buy the cheap token and exchange it so i can play the shit i enjoy be it dungs, raids etc. Also i only buy the token rarely when i really need money, i am not a huge spender so i dont have to buy the token every day, week, or month.

Deleted
    lol

Sell tokens...

Raelbo explained it well but I will add:

I don't drink, smoke or party. I don't really game much so I aren't short on money especially only £15. I value my time more than and such £15 to save me hours doing something I don't enjoy is money well spent. It's the same reason people buy 100 boossts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I used to buy gold in WoW. Now I sell it instead. And back before i started doing it when I was piss poor in WoW, I used to buy gold instead of farming, it was so much more effective. Why spend hours and hours and hours in game farming which I don't like when I can spend 20 minutes extra at my work and then buy 100k for that amount? 100k goes for like €6-7. Why buy tokens for €20 so you can earn like 115k in WoW, when for those €20 you can get 250-300k at pretty much no risk?
    Because people can be banned buying illegal gold

It's simple supply and demand really. There are a lot less people playing the game now than it was 5 months ago so there's not much demand for the tokens and the prices goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpoon View Post
    Pretty much. It is all very well to say with 12 toons etc can make so many gold per month, but how many hours does it require and would people prefer to spend those hour doing something else.
    leveling 13-15 hours x 12 toons then 10-15 hours x 12 to get toons to 850-860 itlv, finishing class campaigns and saveing enough resources to push missions from mobile app .

thats hardcore versions ,

casual would be 3 toons at 110 which would be .... 3x15 + 3x15 = 90 hours to be able to farm 135-270 k monthly - this makes playing less then 1 hours a day since launch - and you are able to buy tokens only by using mobile app once a day - "hardcore" indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    It's simple supply and demand really. There are a lot less people playing the game now than it was 5 months ago so there's not much demand for the tokens and the prices goes up.
    That's not how supply and demand works.

As demand goes up, and supply stays the same or goes down, price goes up.

If demand goes down, price is going to go down.

Deleted
    I don't, but I will consider selling some if the price gets a bit higher (gold price).
    I still make roughly 200k profit a month (give or take a bit) by playing pretty casual. That includes gold i spend on stuff I want + repairs. It's by doing mainly pvp (also pvp WQ) my daily box and some high reward WQ. I sell enchants and ores that I gather while doing my WQ stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    leveling 13-15 hours x 12 toons then 10-15 hours x 12 to get toons to 850-860 itlv, finishing class campaigns and saveing enough resources to push missions from mobile app .

thats hardcore versions ,

casual would be 3 toons at 110 which would be .... 3x15 + 3x15 = 90 hours to be able to farm 135-270 k monthly - this makes playing less then 1 hours a day since launch - and you are able to buy tokens only by using mobile app once a day - "hardcore" indeed
    What do you farm to get 135k-270k per month?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because people can be banned buying illegal gold
    That, and also when you buy from goldsellers you're contributing to making the game worse. I happen to like this game, so contributing to a problem which might ruin it seems silly to me.

Also, buying "cheap" gold from goldsellers is blatant cheating. If someone has to cheat in a game like WoW I have to wonder what the point is. PS: I don't regard buying a token to sell for gold as cheating since it's buying it at the fair market price

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    I disagree. Number of players in the game shouldn't really have an effect at all because it will affect both sides of the equation.

I would expect that the biggest influencers of the token price would be the ease of making gold and the state of the world economy. The easier it is to make gold in the game, the higher the price will be pushed. Likewise, harsh economic times (in the real world) will also push the gold price of tokens up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    That, and also when you buy from goldsellers you're contributing to making the game worse. I happen to like this game, so contributing to a problem which might ruin it seems silly to me.

Also, buying "cheap" gold from goldsellers is blatant cheating. If someone has to cheat in a game like WoW I have to wonder what the point is. PS: I don't regard buying a token to sell for gold as cheating since it's buying it at the fair market price
    Not only that but you're giving Blizzard more income for future content

If nobody bought tokens nobody would buy game time with gold and in turn less people may sub

Deleted
    Damn, I remember buying them in bulk for 33K each when they first got introduced.

118K still is pretty affordable. Well, at least for veteran players. Even in back Wotlk I made more a month with proffs.

This thread reminded me that I should be making a thread about how archaic gold is in WoW at the moment

I don't care, cuz I neither buy, nor sell tokens for gold. I'm one of these players, who just don't want to bother about farming gold, but at the same time I have nothing to spend it on - Wow doesn't provide really useful things, that I would want to buy for gold. Garrisons were the only exception. I have default gold from quests/dailies/5ppls - it's enough for me. Also paying sub via gold - more profit to Blizzard. Sub costs 7.5-10$ in my region and tokens cost 20$. It's simple logic. I just think in advance. If gold equivalent of sub costs 2-3x more, than sub itself, then why would I sell gold, if it's possible, that I'll need it for something in the future and it will cost me 2-3x more then? Keeping gold, that becomes more and more expensive with time - sounds reasonable. I would dump it, only if I would be sure, that I would quit forever in a nearest future.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2017-01-18 at 02:47 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not only that but you're giving Blizzard more income for future content

If nobody bought tokens nobody would buy game time with gold and in turn less people may sub
    More good points!

I agree, spending your cash supporting the token system is a very positive thing for the game.
    • It creates a supply of tokens for players who want to buy their game time for gold
    • It puts the money back into the Blizzard to build the game instead of to goldsellers who ruin the game
    • It stimulates the game economy because gold is changing hands between players

i'm US based and i sell one a month esp now that in the US its up 60-62k, i hope they break 100k in the US i despise farming and the AH even more, and an extra 20-60 a month is nothing so eh.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22