Poll: Do you sell tokens for gold?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Anyone who wastes time in game grinding gold is a sucker...
    Anyone who thinks he needs to buy overpriced Lootruns/Mounts/Pets/Crafted gear/BoEs/Vanity items for ridicolous amounts of gold is a sucker. Either with grinded or real money gold.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    This is one reason why I wish I could get on the EU token market, as I generally sell them in sets of 10 tokens. I would make considerably more in the EU than the US, naturally. Which is unfortunate. *Shrugs*
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I don't care, cuz I neither buy, nor sell tokens for gold. I'm one of these players, who just don't want to bother about farming gold, but at the same time I have nothing to spend it on - Wow doesn't provide really useful things, that I would want to buy for gold. Garrisons were the only exception. I have default gold from quests/dailies/5ppls - it's enough for me.
    Which is, tbh, exactly as it should be for most people. Tokens are there for people who either want more gold so that they can buy stuff they don't actually need, and on the other end for people who have more gold than they know what to do with or are short on real money.

Also paying sub via gold - more profit to Blizzard.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. The way I see it, if you actually like the game and want it to continue to exist, you should be happy if Blizzard can find a way to make it more profitable without affecting you

Sub costs 7.5-10$ in my region and tokens cost 20$. It's simple logic. If gold equivalent of sub costs 2-3x more, than sub itself, then why would I sell gold, if it's possible, that I'll need it for something in the future?
    Here's an interesting thought: When the tokens first came out (20 months ago?), you could have bought 20 for a total of 700K and in so doing saved €260. Today, you could take that €260 you saved and use it to buy 13 tokens and sell them for more than 1.5M gold. That's more than 100% profit over what you would have had just leaving your gold in the your pockets.

Deleted
    I do. I cba to farm gold and I don't deal with illegal goldsellers, only Blizzard approved ones. I think I bought like 10-15 so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Aww yiss! Now the hard decision: sell now or hold... Anyone know a good site that tracks history and changes to prices?
    Hold. The decision to sell is highly dependent on a clear message, or generally accepted assumptions in the community, from Blizzard on whether Tokens can be used as currency for other things than ingame gold or game time.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2017-01-18 at 04:16 PM.

Was around 129 last week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio9 View Post
    Anyone who thinks he needs to buy overpriced Lootruns/Mounts/Pets/Crafted gear/BoEs/Vanity items for ridicolous amounts of gold is a sucker. Either with grinded or real money gold.
    if you manage to get every single things in game with or without gold, you're a god in my book : P

Deleted
    What the token did to me: I was fine paying real money. Didn't really wager it against content. But since token happened I really calculate it out. Do I enjoy the game enough to log in and play so that it will equal out my income and token price? Not so much before I quit. I made minus 2 months in a row and just said: That's how much gold the game is no longer worth.
    Last edited by mmocd6d7b58413; 2017-01-18 at 04:05 PM.

Time is money, friend!

I don't buy tokens, and I didn't understand who in their right mind would pay so much when they were running 20k~ in the US...

but with the exchange rate rising, its now becoming more 'reasonable'. 100k~ can net you a pair of mounts, or several months of raiding supplies. Quite an easy tradeoff if you're fairly casual and don't care for the activities that are used to generate gold more reliably.

120K EU vs 60K US, thanks Blizzard for europeans...

Blizzard needs to introduce a few more 100k-200k mounts to bring that price down. Besides the -too- expensive Spider mount, there's not enough to spend ingame gold on, that hasn't been available for a long time already. If they introduce a few more expensive cool things, they can have more people buying gold with real life money, driving Token price down. Which would benefit Blizzard too.

I feel most people don't buy nor sell tokens. I think was supposed to be this way. It's not a necessity. But for those who want it have the option. Personally I have WAY more gold then I know what to do with, though I already am maxed on tokens atm hahah.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    What do you farm to get 135k-270k per month?
    class campaign gold quests. which you can do via app without even loging to game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    This thread reminded me that I should be making a thread about how archaic gold is in WoW at the moment
    Do not stop here m8. Go one step further. You shuold make a thread about how archaic is the whole WOW!

/s

You say that like it's a bad thing. The way I see it, if you actually like the game and want it to continue to exist, you should be happy if Blizzard can find a way to make it more profitable without affecting you
    That would be true, if Blizzard would use my money properly - i.e. to make game better FOR ME. What's the point to pay for someone else's fun? I really wish Wow to have something like this, i.e. way so say, where I want my money to be invested to:
    Spoiler: 

Here's an interesting thought: When the tokens first came out (20 months ago?), you could have bought 20 for a total of 700K and in so doing saved €260. Today, you could take that €260 you saved and use it to buy 13 tokens and sell them for more than 1.5M gold. That's more than 100% profit over what you would have had just leaving your gold in the your pockets.
    That would be true, if I would need gold. But I don't need it. I could use this €260, I saved, to pay sub fee, but... That's, what I effectively do now. I.e. when token prices were reasonable - I was buying tokens and saving money. Now I use this saved money to pay for game.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Raelbo explained it well but I will add:

I don't drink, smoke or party. I don't really game much so I aren't short on money especially only £15. I value my time more than and such £15 to save me hours doing something I don't enjoy is money well spent. It's the same reason people buy 100 boossts

- - - Updated - - -

Because people can be banned buying illegal gold
    I have been buying gold since 2010 and have not gotten banned once. Got a premaban on forums but that was for openly admitting to buying gold. Nothing at all in the game. So I'd say it's pretty safe.
    Also have been selling gold since November, sold about 6-7 milion gold so far, no ban or even a mention from Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpoon View Post
    Pretty much. It is all very well to say with 12 toons etc can make so many gold per month, but how many hours does it require and would people prefer to spend those hour doing something else.
    Spend all of your time getting gold so you can afford a token to spend all of your time making gold to buy a token..

Deleted
    Why would you? By the sounds of things you wouldn't. Why would someone else? I thought it was obvious, but here goes:

It takes time and effort to make gold in the game. It takes time and effort to make money in the world. If the time it takes you to make the $$ in the real world is significantly less than the time it takes you to make the gold you could get from selling a token, then it's basic common sense to spend real money buying a token.

So if I earn $100 per hour, but I can only make 1000g per hour in the game, spending 12 minutes of work time makes a lot more sense than spending 100 hours grinding gold.

Anyone who wastes time in game grinding gold is a sucker...

The game doesn't require you to buy resources with real money. That being said, why would you want to devote hours of time in a game to making gold when you can earn the money to buy that gold in a fraction of time?

Not really true though. The price of the tokens by it's dynamic nature will always land up at the point where the quantity of gold is not that easy to get. Because if it really were easy to get that much gold, then everyone would want to buy them for gold and no one would want to spend real money buying them.

Unlike random people trying to impress random strangers with their gold making prowess on a gaming forum, the token is an actual barometer of how "easy" gold is to get.

I think it's actually pretty interesting looking at this poll because it indicates that about 15% of players are buying tokens with real money (assuming the sample on MMO-C is reasonably representative of the WoW community at large). This means that probably around 15% of people buy tokens with gold. Which means that for 85% of players, 120K is a lot of gold.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, when someone calls someone else a fucking moron on the internet, it's generally a good idea to make sure that your own expressed opinion doesn't make the irony quite so obvious.

FYI, for a person who earns $100 per hour, that is 12 minutes to earn the cash to buy a token, which is 40 seconds per day, which I guarantee you is less time than you spend doing whatever it is you do to make the gold. Hell, even earning minimum wage (what's that about $10 per hour?) you'd still only spend 4 minutes a day.

Personally I devote 15-20 mins a day to using the AH. Granted, I make a lot more than I need for just the token (but sadly not enough to throw gold cap a swift Zulian Tiger like someone else on my server did the other day) but that's still 10 hours a month.

The only reason it makes any economic sense for me to spend gold on tokens/game time is that I would be spending that time playing WoW regardless, because I enjoy it. There have certainly been times though where I have had to consciously throttle back on making gold when it was no longer fun, and if it ever gets to the point where I find am not getting some kind of satisfaction out of the time I spend making gold, I'll gladly go back to buying my game time for cash, or even consider spending some cash on buying tokens to sell for gold.
    loved reading your post! An intelligent prose, so rare to see on here. It's one of those posts that idiots, after reading, really realise the fact that they are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Do not stop here m8. Go one step further. You shuold make a thread about how archaic is the whole WOW!

/s
    That's not true so why should I do such a thing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    This is one reason why I wish I could get on the EU token market, as I generally sell them in sets of 10 tokens. I would make considerably more in the EU than the US, naturally. Which is unfortunate. *Shrugs*
    Where to you need that much gold in the game? Sounds like you've sold several batches of 10? That's quite a lot of gold. Pet collector?