Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm not sure what their business model is, but having such a large customer base is pretty huge in it's own right. I would imagine that they branch off to offer some sort of "premium" offering with some extra bells and whistles, given the right price point and the fact that the base platform is free, I think they'd make a fair deal of money.

It makes perfect sense to use something like Discord or Curse for VOIP, it's managed for you and has no real drawbacks to other private, paid services

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethlord View Post
    What is the arguement here?

Discord is free right? Other than day 1 of EN have we come up against any issues with discord. Sound is good, never goes crazy, easy setup, what's the problem?

Personally, I hated Vent, it never played well with my computer for some reason and also.....cost money!!
    If you don't pay for the product, you are the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Staalsy View Post
    Instantly, discord is by far the best option out there

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    Thanks pal, how about you actually provide some substance to this conversation. Because currently you are the guy who says yeah in the background who wants to get noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Thanks pal, how about you actually provide some substance to this conversation. Because currently you are the guy who says yeah in the background who wants to get noticed
    Hey guess what. Eat shit

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Infracted
    Last edited by Wilderness; 2016-11-15 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixeh View Post
    I'm not sure what their business model is, but having such a large customer base is pretty huge in it's own right. I would imagine that they branch off to offer some sort of "premium" offering with some extra bells and whistles, given the right price point and the fact that the base platform is free, I think they'd make a fair deal of money.

It makes perfect sense to use something like Discord or Curse for VOIP, it's managed for you and has no real drawbacks to other private, paid services

Except that Private paid for services offer things like privacy, open source(in mumbles case) and actual technical support when you ahve issues. But hey you can be the sucker that gives your info and gets bombarded with advertisements that you can not block. And since it is free you also have no guarantee it will work or will be fixed in a timely matter as it is an "AS IS AS AVAILABLE" service.

Deleted
    we switched once because or TS was under construction. i personally liked it but for now we are going to stay with teamspeek. But anyway i see the gaming future going with discord due to its comfortable usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    We're testing discord tonight, but a lack of private binds is already a strike against it.
    "Private" binds ?

2k17, paying for Teamspeak, kek.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    "Private" binds ?
    You can make binds to only talk to certain people and keybind them just like your ordinary push to talk key.
    Hi Sephurik

Their business model is probably to build a big popular service and then sell it for a few billion to some trillionaire corporation, to whom the cost is relatively tiny.

Who knows what's in the future for discord, it's just another app in the procession of apps throughout history.

Discord is amazing. We switched to it some time ago. Its literally our guild chat, website and voice comms all in one. Our website is used for recruitment and afk posts, everything else is on discord.

We moved to discord when legion launched, it's definitely the best thing that happened to making the guild more social since voice became popular.

My favourite things have been:
    - Having one app for voice and text chat which functionally replaces a guild forum.
    - The ease of setting up roles for specific voice/text channels is good to stop randoms who come into the discord seeing our raid team information or bombing our raid voice channel but also allowing us to have friends come in and post memes and have fun.
    - The mobile app has made it so our officer chat can be viewed by officers when they aren't on wow or are away and also so raiders can tell everyone they are going to be late for raid, our officers sometimes talk when we are in the car rather than just when we are on our PC.
    - The ability to use widgets and link with external apps like warcraft logs so it automatically posts a link to discord so everyone can easily find the logs (yes looking at the guild calander on WCL is easy but our raiders like a link in discord).
    - The ability to copy excel cells and have it automatically converted to an image means we don't have to post the raw spreadsheet/google doc or take screenshots anymore when you just want to show something to the guild

This almost seems like a sponsored post but it's genuinely been very helpful in letting our guild be more successful and making all of the raiders closer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, we're staying with Vent. Been using it for many, many years and no reason to switch.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Deleted
    Tried it today, because ts went down, but results were not good. Mainly because of recurring bug, where some people will not be heard by others, while being fine for the rest. Kind of defeats the point of having VoiP, if you can't trust it to carry your words.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild's been using discord and I see no problems with it yet.

imo teamspeak is better, dunno if it is just a big nostalgia driven thing, but I don't really like discord somehow
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Yup I really love discord, especially the chat feature and posting things on there that others can view later. For some reason some of our guildies have lag issues with discord so we tend to use mumble for raids only which is meh.

Quote Originally Posted by RestoChango View Post
    We moved to discord when legion launched, it's definitely the best thing that happened to making the guild more social since voice became popular.

My favourite things have been:
    - Having one app for voice and text chat which functionally replaces a guild forum.
    - The ease of setting up roles for specific voice/text channels is good to stop randoms who come into the discord seeing our raid team information or bombing our raid voice channel but also allowing us to have friends come in and post memes and have fun.
    - The mobile app has made it so our officer chat can be viewed by officers when they aren't on wow or are away and also so raiders can tell everyone they are going to be late for raid, our officers sometimes talk when we are in the car rather than just when we are on our PC.
    - The ability to use widgets and link with external apps like warcraft logs so it automatically posts a link to discord so everyone can easily find the logs (yes looking at the guild calander on WCL is easy but our raiders like a link in discord).
    - The ability to copy excel cells and have it automatically converted to an image means we don't have to post the raw spreadsheet/google doc or take screenshots anymore when you just want to show something to the guild

This almost seems like a sponsored post but it's genuinely been very helpful in letting our guild be more successful and making all of the raiders closer.

All have been huge reasons why my guild's officers have been agonizing whether or not to switch to Discord or Curse. However, both have the one remaining reason why we haven't switched yet, is there is no way to set up private binds so Officers or Council can have their own chat without cluttering up the main chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RestoChango View Post

Wait, what widget is that?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    All have been huge reasons why my guild's officers have been agonizing whether or not to switch to Discord or Curse. However, both have the one remaining reason why we haven't switched yet, is there is no way to set up private binds so Officers or Council can have their own chat without cluttering up the main chat.
    We have a group message (sort of like a WhatsApp group) going between the officers which is our officer chat.

We also have text channels which are restricted by roles so our tanks/healers can talk between themselves.

If you have your roles setup properly you could have officer chat as a restricted text channel but we thought there is a risk that someone could mess up and change the perms giving visibility to everyone so we used a group message instead.