Thread: [TV] Sherlock

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    i must say i highly enjoyed those 3 episodes but boy the second episode was too obvious with the Jimmy Saville references!

As for the third episode i think Euros was the one who set up the hole reichenbach falls episode or Moriarty knew his goose was cooked the moment the UK secret service and every other secret service got interested in him.

He must've known he was a dead man when everyone found out his code was worthless and his rep and identity was destroyed by appearing in the newspapers. So he killed himself cause he knew he wouldve been bumped off eventually.

I mean when everyone knows your name and the only leverage you had is gone what was he gonna do? He always knew he was dead so he set up all those messages and thus i doubt he will ever come back unless the writers make up something very special.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-01-17 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    You know that reverse Stockholm syndrome (Lima syndrome) is a thing right? I'd think it'd be extremely hard to keep a pretty young lady locked up in real life. Any guard worth his manhood would let her out for a chance with her. See also the movie Ex Machina where the same thing happened.

Meanwhile Ex Machina got critics choice rave reviews while Sherlock is lambasted for having the same plot point It's a bizzaro world we live in.
    In Ex Machina, you had no genuine idea of the imprisoned female's ill intent. It was completely feasible that she was really in love and wanted to run away with the victim guy. In other words, it was exploring the idea of how we would confront the birth of consciousness in a machine, and how unexplored the idea was, and how quickly it would go towards manipulation and deceit.

Euros, on the other hand, is a known sociopath. She killed a small boy, and then burned her family's house down. She has killed people, including a guard she references having sex with. This is a known quantity. Unless there's some sort of supernatural element forcing their compulsion to do her will, I don't see why any trained guard in a psychiatric facility would ever be subsumed by her, let alone all the guards and the Gov'r/warden.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    She's also highly manipulative and intelligent which allows her to mold people's perception of situations. We didn't see the entire process and have no idea how long it took her to gain the level of control we saw in the episode. What we do know is she had many years to gain that control. And a friend in Moriarty who, as we know, was quite adept at manipulating people into doing what he wanted as well.
    Except it's implied she can do it quite immediately. She had 5 minutes with Moriarty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Except it's implied she can do it quite immediately. She had 5 minutes with Moriarty.
    See... I don't think she did anything to Moriarty. He already was full on Troll mode, so she wouldn't NEED to convince him to fuck with Sherlock. The conversation was probably 15 seconds to say "Hey, I'm Sherlock's lil sis, want to team up and TOTALLY mindfuck him?" and then 4min45 seconds of recording tick tock noises and annoying soundbites.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    and then 4min45 seconds of recording tick tock noises and annoying soundbites.
    The soundbites/videos she said he sent them in later, so no worries about the time there.

Having mulled it over now for another day the episode Im starting to warm toards the episode. The people here saying Moriarty is more likely working with her and not under whatever you want to call what she does to people makes it a lot better, although that isnt a sure thing. If I dont think about the larger implications, and the let down of no moriarty, then it becomes a decent epsiode on its own. Doing a known sort of trope in a very sherlock way to nice results.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    BBC's "Sherlock" has always had a weakness in its dependency on being meta - using the original Doyle story hooks less as episodic guidelines and more as in-jokes or Easter Eggs, while it explores the more interpersonal stories between Sherlock, Watson, and the galaxy of supporting characters. I don't think this is a bad thing, per se; it works a good majority of the time and sometimes falls a bit flat. I don't look at the last episode of "Sherlock" with the same rancor it appears to be getting from most fans of the show - if you enjoy the meta-exploration of the characters then it was probably great, but if you were looking for more Doyle-inspired "Core Sherlock" storyline it might've fallen a bit flat.

"Sherlock" gets some unfair treatment in that people demand it work on their terms and their terms alone, and it doesn't help that (in my personal view) its showrunner comes off as unlikable and somewhat crass. I thought the episode was solid enough, though; neither the best of the series nor the worst. It summed things up well enough, and tied off the major story arcs left open.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    using the original Doyle story hooks less as episodic guidelines and more as in-jokes or Easter Eggs,
    I think this is my biggest annoyance with the show tbh. The first season was pretty decent, especially the very first episode, but since then it's deviated more and more to the point that this last season didn't even feel like Sherlock, but some poorly written fanfiction... Which in essence it's pretty much what it IS.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I think this is my biggest annoyance with the show tbh. The first season was pretty decent, especially the very first episode, but since then it's deviated more and more to the point that this last season didn't even feel like Sherlock, but some poorly written fanfiction... Which in essence it's pretty much what it IS.
    I think the series is at its best when it is Holmes and Watson doing what they do - working cases and encountering characters based on the stories we all know. I'm fine with the exploration of the characters and their interpersonal relationships as long as that's kept as more of a subtext as opposed to the main plot. When the more meta elements of the characters or the world pop up and take center-stage I find myself a bit distracted. I think a lot of modern stories suffer from either over-analysis or overused deconstruction - sometimes you just want engaging characters and stories to entertain you and you don't need every episode to act as an overblown exegesis of the platform.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Why does it work at all? Presumably, this is a trained psychiatrist, and the people that work there are trained in dealing with mentally deranged cases. After all, as Moriarty notes, there's cannibals there. I'm assuming they're Dahmer-esque cannibals, and not jungle pygmy cannibals.

That not. one. person. resisted her mind games is beyond credulity. Intelligence doesn't have that capability to force people to do things against their will, that's hypnosis or something supernatural. And if she can hypnotize people for indefinite periods, en masse, that was neither explained nor remotely feasible.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed it
    I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it. I will say, for me, the magic is kind of gone: kind of bummed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think the series is at its best when it is Holmes and Watson doing what they do - working cases and encountering characters based on the stories we all know. I'm fine with the exploration of the characters and their interpersonal relationships as long as that's kept as more of a subtext as opposed to the main plot.
    Couldn't agree more. When they were just updating the old cases and putting on a modern twist, the series was legend. Now it's just this odd meta-fiction, bogged down by so many knowing winks and in jokes that it loses almost everything that made it worth watching in the first place.

That's Moffat though - that's what he did to Doctor Who, so it's no surprise he did it here too. The guy needs somebody to remind him of the KISS principle.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    That's Moffat though - that's what he did to Doctor Who, so it's no surprise he did it here too. The guy needs somebody to remind him of the KISS principle.
    Indeed! I'm so glad we only have one season left of him on Doctor Who, I just pray we get at least one non-Moffat season for Capaldi, he deserves better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed it
    While I did not care for the first episode, I did like these last two (finally caught up). In fact I loved the second episode. The last episode was asking us to believe a lot of crazy things but I still enjoyed it and am glad they explained the sibling mystery. It's also nice to see Sherlock becoming more human; he remembered Lestrade's name, consoled the little girl/his sister, defended Mycroft. And to me the show has always been a bit of an outlandish mind fuck.
    "Join S.H.I.E.L.D. Travel to exotic distant lands. Meet exciting unusual people... and kill them."
    -Hunter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I must say, I really loved the last episode. I enjoyed its change of pace and it's focused narrative. Something the episodes sometimes lack.

I found hte first episode had this problem, rather jumbled at first followed by being thrown around unnecessarily only to come to a climax that was ... well, anti climactic. But hey as we all know, it's just an opinion

Last episode of the series was more like a batman story like the killing joke rather than a Sherlock story.

The conclusion to the series was a big disappointment. Felt like more of a fan service than an engaging plot. The "tests" could have been far more interesting than just "kill this person or i kill someone else" and really it ends up being "lol jks everyone dies cuz im crazy yolo" and "heres a cute call to molly for the fanz"

Wasted opportunity with a sibling.

Also lol @ sherlock not noticing her mimic a young girls voice. Or completely forgetting parts of his past, not out of character at all.