any aquariums/fishtanks enthusiasts here?

Planning on buying my first(ish) fish tank, could use some help

lots of great starter videos on youtube, hundreds of them should help you with the basics of tank size, water hardness,filtration etc.

as for fish i would start of with very cheap and easy to thrive types namely guppies, some types of mollies and kribensis.

as a general rule i would stay away from the bigger more attractive species and aggressive fish like oscars, most cichlid species.

Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    lots of great starter videos on youtube, hundreds of them should help you with the basics of tank size, water hardness,filtration etc.

as for fish i would start of with very cheap and easy to thrive types namely guppies, some types of mollies and kribensis.

as a general rule i would stay away from the bigger more attractive species and aggressive fish like oscars, most cichlid species.
    Yep thinking of buying guppies first, aquarium will probably be either 72 L or 126 L, haven't decided yet.
    Any ideas for lightning? How many W per Liter is required for aquarium to look good and plants to grow well? - Again, nothing fancy, mostly beginner friendly plants.
    Also, oxygen... do I need some mechanical help, or will those fancy guppies survive with whatever oxygen plants make?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well, what fish are you getting? How many? Tank and fish care greatly depends on that.
    adding you to my quote as well :P

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is OptiWhite glass worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    I had a beta fish once named cat food but I over filled the bowl one day and he jumped out.

Avoid mantis shrimp like the plague.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Yep thinking of buying guppies first, aquarium will probably be either 72 L or 126 L, haven't decided yet.
    Any ideas for lightning? How many W per Liter is required for aquarium to look good and plants to grow well? - Again, nothing fancy, mostly beginner friendly plants.
    Also, oxygen... do I need some mechanical help, or will those fancy guppies survive with whatever oxygen plants make?
    Probably a good idea to start with a basic 72L or 126L starter kit that should have most of what you need for fish like guppies. I would skip the plants for now...you can always add them later once you are comfortable with the fish.

The starter kit lighting should be sufficient, and the filter (most likely a back filter) will disturb the water pretty well to keep sufficient oxygen in the water. You can add bubble stones (with an air pump...may or may not come with the starter kit) to help put more oxygen in the water...but it shouldn't be necessary unless you are looking to load the tank with too many guppies (the pet store will recommend X" of fish per gallon which is highly conservative, so if you follow their guidance, you won't have any issues).

Keep in mind that you should get the tank, set it up, and let it run for at least a few days before getting the fish. I would recommend a small kit to measure water quality (the kits usually have the chemicals to change the water quality to what is needed), and, if the starter kit doesn't have it, you'll want to get something to clean up the tap water (what is needed varies by location).

It's good that you are looking for a larger tank...smaller tanks tend to have more issues since water quality and temperature can swing too quickly. I would recommend the 126L tank (if not slightly larger) for that reason...the cost increase is usually pretty small (at least in the US), but it makes it easier to manage, as well as easier to add a few more fish later.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Probably a good idea to start with a basic 72L or 126L starter kit that should have most of what you need for fish like guppies. I would skip the plants for now...you can always add them later once you are comfortable with the fish.

The starter kit lighting should be sufficient, and the filter (most likely a back filter) will disturb the water pretty well to keep sufficient oxygen in the water. You can add bubble stones (with an air pump...may or may not come with the starter kit) to help put more oxygen in the water...but it shouldn't be necessary unless you are looking to load the tank with too many guppies (the pet store will recommend X" of fish per gallon which is highly conservative, so if you follow their guidance, you won't have any issues).

Keep in mind that you should get the tank, set it up, and let it run for at least a few days before getting the fish. I would recommend a small kit to measure water quality (the kits usually have the chemicals to change the water quality to what is needed), and, if the starter kit doesn't have it, you'll want to get something to clean up the tap water (what is needed varies by location).

It's good that you are looking for a larger tank...smaller tanks tend to have more issues since water quality and temperature can swing too quickly. I would recommend the 126L tank (if not slightly larger) for that reason...the cost increase is usually pretty small (at least in the US), but it makes it easier to manage, as well as easier to add a few more fish later.
    thanks, some amazing advices there
    And those bubble stones omg so much potential for aesthetics.

I've had pet shrimp for a while now. You can see them in the Pets megathread.

It sounds like you want a really big tank, I hope you have a nice place in your house to put it. It's kind of like buying furniture, it has to match colors and everything to be really good.

Also depends on dimensions.

i would suggest an asian arowana, start with hbrtg thats the lowest then if you got more budget go for crossback or red

6ft x 3ft x 3ft tank but you can make the height to only 2ft its ok, half inch thick glass

filtration i use eheim classic with seachem matrix seachem purigen and treat water every water change with seachem prime, water change is 25% per week

additional fish with aro i have is a yellow flagtail it grows fast and cleans the aquarium faster then plecos since i feed my aro with fresh shrimp

- - - Updated - - -

oh a few more tips

lighting on top of aquarium is best if its situated near the front of the aquarium, also i sprayed all sides including top and bottom with paint river blue color so the only side of the aquaruim that isnt painted is the front side

i use a warm white kinda like sunlight color and a white tanning light both in 1 housing

also the tank im talking about is a bare bottom tank, well since its so easy cleaning the tank this way

the color of an asian aro even if its only hbrtg will make you very satisfied especially after 2years assuming you bought it at around 3inches or 4
    Last edited by Hpcc; 2017-01-19 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's basically not possible to fuck up a fish tank, especially if you're going to buy dopey, resilient, beginner fish.
    >buy a saltwater fish
    >throw it into my fresh water tank
    >no filter or heater in the tank
    >never change water
    >buy more fish and overcrowd tank
    >buy aggressive fish that bully other fish

Seems kinda easy to fuck it up.

- - - Updated - - -

adding you to my quote as well :P

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is OptiWhite glass worth it?
    It's a good idea to get something larger even though it might cost a bit more.
    Smaller ones are much harder to keep clean and functional.
    And yes, an aquarium pump/filter is always recomended.

There are better forums you could turn to for advice though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's basically not possible to fuck up a fish tank, especially if you're going to buy dopey, resilient, beginner fish.
    Actually, it's very possible and common that people mess up.

Deleted
    1. Do not start with Saltwater Fish. They are more for Aquarium owners with experience.
    2. let the Aquarium run for a week before putting any fish in. Make sure the water has a healthy bacteria level and that it has the right water levels.
    3. Put plants in 1st, then the dirt, then lastly the gravel. Also rinse the gravel before putting it in.
    4. If you put in wood, let it sit in water for a few days before putting it in.
    5. Never clean with soap. Use only Water.
    6. When filling the Aquarium put you Hands just above the area were the water splashes down from a hose, bucket. This will keep the water from rushing into the Soil, stirring up dirt, damaging plants and making things murky.
    6. Plug the Aquarium ligt into a timer outlet. So that after X hours the light turns off. having to much light in the Tank makes mold, algea etc grow.
    7. Do not have the Aquarium in direct Sunlight.
    8.Read here on how to put Fish intoa Aquarium. 1st you let them be in the bag, put the bag in the water, after the water temperature adjusted, put some aquarium water in the bag with the fish, let them get used to it, add some more aquarium water, wait, finally open the bag and let the fish exit the bag.

personally i wouldnt recommend a planted aquarium to a beginner

first learn how to take care of the fish then when your already ok with that then thats the time you add the plants and the whatever decorations

Bought 72 L aquarium, with LED lightning, not sure how strong it is in Wats, but well at least it looks really strong.
    Decided not to spend much money on my first build, since if/when I decide to upgrade, I'll buy much larger aquarium and all new equipment, so I just bought what I need now, without much possible improvements in the future, I think.
    Also bought Eheim - Biopower 160 water filter.
    Will buy gravel and that under gravel material for plants to grow better.
    Also still missing a heater.
    Thanks for help everyone, will keep you informed how everything is going

Bought 72 L aquarium, with LED lightning, not sure how strong it is in Wats, but well at least it looks really strong.
    Decided not to spend much money on my first build, since if/when I decide to upgrade, I'll buy much larger aquarium and all new equipment, so I just bought what I need now, without much possible improvements in the future, I think.
    Also bought Eheim - Biopower 160 water filter.
    Will buy gravel and that under gravel material for plants to grow better.
    Also still missing a heater.
    Thanks for help everyone, will keep you informed how everything is going
    So a 20 gallon tank? Pretty small.