Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    This picture really needs a bunch of natural resources to combine with each country haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanActual View Post
    Man, it's like watching conservatives in 2008 and 2012 looking for any dumb reason to hate Obama. You guys have no idea how stupid you look right now.

*continues to eat popcorn*
    The current head of the DoE is this guy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Moniz

He is a nuclear physicist, he is a guy that knows his thing and hence why Obama nominated him for the position.

The current idiot trump nominated who got a D in “Meats” doesn't even know what the department is doing while at the same time wanted to get rid of it when he was running for president while not even knowing the name of the department he wanted to get rid of.

I'm not sure anybody could come up with this crap, it's almost like a really bad comedy show that is going to get cancelled in 2 eps.

Criticism of Obama was mostly made up crap that they made up while going to the toilet. Trump you can actually criticize based on his policies (still waiting for the healthcare plan with numbers) or his nominees that for some reason don't know a thing about the department they should be running.

Take Carson for example, he is going to run a department he knows nothing of instead of I don't know Surgeon General maybe.

Deleted
    The US sure cares about human and civil rights when they topple regimes, create global unrest, unlawfully or just make up reasons to attack other sovreign nations.

Infracted - stop derailing the discussion
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2017-01-19 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Setheria View Post
    I wonder if there's every any self reflection for this kind of stuff.

You know, like, maybe, just maybe, this is a crap choice even if you think Trump is the US's long lost golden messiah.

I mean, as a thought exercise, picture this without the political blinkers on and ask yourself how this would float in business.
    It wouldn't and the defenders know it.

So Trump's not the only one finding out that the job he just signed up for is "bigger than he expected".

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    So you don't know his qualifications? and yet here you are claiming stuff.
    You made the right decision conceding defeat here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I can't believe people are arguing about this because of what the DoE does and doesn't do.

Rick Perry shouldn't be in charge of anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Elim, as someone who lived under his governorship let me advise you: Rick Perry is kinda dumb. Nice goofy guy, but dumb. Texas governorship is one of the least responsible in the US, aka Lt Gov and Railroad Commish had more power. All he did was act like a PR person. You may say this aided you claim of delegation but again, with little power comes little delegation

This isn't the guy you want running things, because as Tex gov he didn't really run things either. He also wanted to get rid of the department, so absolutely he should be criticized on this. I don't think you really get Perry and just how not fit he is for this lol.
    And that's putting it mildly

- - - Updated - - -

Your gun is big but your aim sucks.

Rick Perry is at the top of DoE - he won't be doing any serious work. All he can do is wiggle the budget around trying to pour more money into Science and Energy budget, which then be managed by the under secretary of Science and Energy.

SoE is not some almighty god. He won't be able to just shut down NNSA or cut their budget significantly as you and wells are scaremongering here
    That's like arguing Trump isn't going to do any serious work, because he has people under him. Stop deflecting.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The lengths you people will go to defend what should be considered criminal incompetence.
    If the leaders are too smart they might have nefarious plans we will not be able to understand, but if they are not so smart like us we can totally understand why things go horribly wrong since everyone makes mistakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

7+ Year Old Account
    SoE is not some almighty god. He won't be able to just shut down NNSA or cut their budget significantly as you and wells are scaremongering here
    Thank you, and specifically I would like to add that the majority of these officials aren't as "almighty" and all-powerful as the whiners are complaining that they are. Hell, Trump doesn't even bother me that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    That's like arguing Trump isn't going to do any serious work, because he has people under him. Stop deflecting.
    There have been folks to use that excuse as well. I love the logic people have in 'let him try, no one has experience' and asking if we know his credentials.

Well, we know one thing... the last two DOE picks were both physicists, including a Nobel Prize winner in physics. They are being replaced by a career politician with a bachelor in "Animal science". Draining the swamp!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

What a load of crap, looks like you too don't know what Secretary of Energy does. Secretary of Energy manages Department of Energy consisting of several under secretaries (different people) one of which (JUST ONE) is Under Secretary of Nuclear Security <- not Rick Perry, even so this under secretary is just a proxy between DoE and NNSA - managed by complete different set of people.

DoE does indeed work with Fossil Energy - under another under secretary <- not Rick Perry.

What this means is: Rick Perry is Fossil Energy leaning fellow, so he will dedicate a major part of his work time to that. He has to focus on something because due to the size of the department he cannot focus on everything. If you were in any managerial position in your life you would know what I'm talking about.
    Yes, but the poster wasn't nominated for the position, so I'm less worried about his lack of knowledge. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    Thank you, and specifically I would like to add that the majority of these officials aren't as "almighty" and all-powerful as the whiners are complaining that they are. Hell, Trump doesn't even bother me that much.
    And yet, it is unclear that they themselves don't know that they are all-powerful. For example, they tried to get a list of people who worked on climate change... what do you think they wanted that list for? Send them chocolates?

What a load of crap, looks like you too don't know what Secretary of Energy does. Secretary of Energy manages Department of Energy consisting of several under secretaries (different people) one of which (JUST ONE) is Under Secretary of Nuclear Security <- not Rick Perry, even so this under secretary is just a proxy between DoE and NNSA - managed by complete different set of people.

DoE does indeed work with Fossil Energy - under another under secretary <- not Rick Perry.

What this means is: Rick Perry is Fossil Energy leaning fellow, so he will dedicate a major part of his work time to that. He has to focus on something because due to the size of the department he cannot focus on everything. If you were in any managerial position in your life you would know what I'm talking about.
    I get the feeling you have no idea what you're talking about here.
    I wonder why that is...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/u...ald-trump.html

This is also the department Perry campaigned on cutting.

We are all so very deeply fucked.
    Some problems with NYtimes.
    The Federalist's Mollie Hemingway pointed out just a few problems with the NYT piece. First, the lobbyist the editors quote was let go from the Trump transition team a month before Perry was even nominated. Second, had the Times bothered to read Perry's remarks upon accepting the energy nomination, they'd see he clearly knew he'd need an understanding of the nuclear arsenal.
    http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortney...eport-n2273719
    Had they done even more research, they'd see that his leadership in Texas uniquely qualifies him for the White House role. For starters, the largest nuclear maintenance facility in America resides in Amarillo and he has worked closely with the National Nuclear Security Administration. Heck, Texas has even earned the title "Energy State."

Yet, the Times and other eager outlets chose to report on Perry's supposed ignorance sans evidence.

If you were interested in what all this fuss was about "fake news," consider this Exhibit A.
    http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortney...eport-n2273719

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    Here is what Steven Chu did:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stev...tary_of_Energy

It's another pick that harms US standing on energy. We now have an Exxon CEO as the Secretary of State and a guy who thought his job was to just prop up oil, being proposed as DOE Secretary. While physicist were working on research on US issues, the oil sales man will sell you oil.

They don't do anything, is not actually what the truth is. The truth is closer to the OP, where just like Perry, you have no clue what they do. While also being much easier solution than actually doing a google search.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nacixems View Post
    Some problems with NYtimes.
    He is replacing a nuclear physicist, with his predecessor being a Nobel prize winning physicist. With a career politician, who has a bachelors in "Animal Science". Did either article mention that?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Scaremongering squad, assemble!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Pointing out that Rick Perry is neither competent, nor the brightest bulb in the box, is now scaremongering?

Hey, let's put a blind guy at the wheel of a school bus, and if you're against it, then you're just scaremongering! Give the blind guy a chance!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    What's funny though is that if they deregulate oil anymore than it already is they will destroy the US oil industry.

That industry are already deep in a hole and laying people off by the truckload with oil as cheap as it is, a lot have already gone bankrupt unable to service their debts.

If they make it even easier to drill here it will just send that already low price even lower and put US companies out of business...
    You think the CEO's care about the peons getting laid off? So long as they can keep drilling and making a profit, they couldn't give two hoots about how low the price is.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Pointing out that Rick Perry is neither competent, nor the brightest bulb in the box, is now scaremongering?

Hey, let's put a blind guy at the wheel of a school bus, and if you're against it, then you're just scaremongering! Give the blind guy a chance!
    Yes, it's exactly the same thing as that example.
    (Scaremongering~ ;D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Draining the swamp was 'scaremongering', replacing a nuclear physicist with a career politician in DOE should clearly be at least a little concerning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Liberal fear mongering. Nothing will change. politicians are mouth pieces and front men. They don't run these organizations so who cares.
    I recall that it was Trump who ran on an ambiguous 'draining the swamp', to scare people of evil politicians. If that wasn't just fearmongering, then replacing a nuclear physicist with a career politician, should be a little concerning.