Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Here is what Steven Chu did:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stev...tary_of_Energy

It's another pick that harms US standing on energy. We now have an Exxon CEO as the Secretary of State and a guy who thought his job was to just prop up oil, being proposed as DOE Secretary. While physicist were working on research on US issues, the oil sales man will sell you oil.

They don't do anything, is not actually what the truth is. The truth is closer to the OP, where just like Perry, you have no clue what they do. While also being much easier solution than actually doing a google search.

- - - Updated - - -

He is replacing a nuclear physicist, with his predecessor being a Nobel prize winning physicist. With a career politician, who has a bachelors in "Animal Science". Did either article mention that?
    u dont have to be a physicist to do the job, geshhh. its Trumps pick deal with it. the man knows how to run an office, manage he ran the state of texas for goodness sake... , sorry but u dont need some super degree to do the job... , ur just grabbing at straws..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Right. But that's a bus driver. There isn't anywhere near as much responsibility with figure head jobs like this.
    You say that, but I don't think you understand that secretaries take part in the policy making process and that their opinions have a large amount of weight behind them. Else, why even have the position at all, and why were those positions filled with competent people in the past?

Again, go back to my statement saying that Trump is just a figurehead without any real power, because there are others under him helping the President run things. That's a blatantly false statement.

Right. But that's a bus driver. There isn't anywhere near as much responsibility with figure head jobs like this.
    Just like CEOs of companies they are just figure heads and don't have anywhere near as much responsibilities....

I don't know whether to be sad or laugh at these arguments, it is painfully obvious that these people are not qualified but now the argument is that the head of organizations in government don't matter /facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nacixems View Post
    u dont have to be a physicist to do the job, geshhh. its Trumps pick deal with it. the man knows how to run an office, manage he ran the state of texas for goodness sake... , sorry but u dont need some super degree to do have the crap , ur just grabbing at straws..
    Actually, the Governorship of Texas has little real power, with the Lt. Gov holding the power.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not a figurehead job. They do research on energy, including guidance to not stop Nuclear plant construction after the meltdown a few years ago. There is nothing in Rick Perry's past or present, that would say that his lack of knowledge on nuclear energy and being an oil salesman, wouldn't have resulted in a halt of nuclear construction, to refocus on oil.

The reality is not a liberal vs conservative ideology. It's a simple fact of competence for the job. You as an individual, wouldn't pay to have your car repaired by a career politician, because that's likely to result in wasting money. But, you see no problem with a career politician being responsible for your tax dollars in DOE, is completely fine... let it burn! It's a fundamental disagreement on value of credentials in government, not an ideological disagreement.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

DoE is arguably almost as important as SoS.

Perry has done little to oversea the energy growth in Texas. My guess is his job is to get out of the way and just be a face of the DoE but he will not be making "real decisions". The real decisions will be made by players behind the scenes.

That is what my contacts and colleagues tell me. Just my two cents.

u dont have to be a physicist to do the job, geshhh. its Trumps pick deal with it. the man knows how to run an office, manage he ran the state of texas for goodness sake... , sorry but u dont need some super degree to do the job... , ur just grabbing at straws..
    That's right you don't need to have a degree to understand reports and data on nuclear energy, fusion, etc, that's like saying you would need a medical degree to be surgeon general

- - - Updated - - -

Look. While I definitely get your guys point about how it's eye brow raising to have a leader who is dumber then the employees. The hilarity of that isn't lost on me. However my entire point is simply that the US won't be exploding sometime in February. The man won't be aloud to touch anything important. That's for the educated men and women in the field. This guy will be given some toys to play with and stuffed in an office. Let's be real people. Maybe he'll do some dumb policy shifting. But we arnt going up in flames because ol man perry forgot to disarm a bomb before opening it up. XD
    He needs to approve and understand the smart people below him, so you are basically fine with him being just a rubber stamp whatever comes to his desk because he won't understand anything that's going on again /facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see the coralation. Even if I did however I don't see your point as I never claimed trump rhetoric wasn't fear mongering. Just that that's also what liberals do constantly. Like right now.
    The first and the following sentences don't make sense together. You don't see a correlation between draining the swamp of corrupt politicians and replacing a job that was previously held by Nobel prize winner in physics with a career politician. This obviously means you have a blind spot for not seeing the difference between the ambiguity of 'draining the swamp' and saying there is something horribly wrong with a politician replacing a nuclear physicist. Both of those rely on the same fear, the difference being, one is specifically happening and the other was ambiguous. I'm not using 'draining the swamp' as if it's the only fearmongering tact used, I am specifically using it, due to the hypocrisy of saying it's fear mongering to point out a specific instance of the swamp being filled.

Also, an easy example. If you want to say both do it, say "fearmongering". If you want to say liberals do it, say "liberals fearmongering". It will help eliminate the confusion of partisanship.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Welcome to four years of "Lowering the Bar"

I mean, it's not like he's a 0 out of 10...

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I am sorry, when you say stuff like "you don't need a super degree" to be responsible for pushing energy policy and budget in US, it's not me grasping at straws. After all, even when buying straws, you wouldn't buy a pack that was made by a politician.

No. I never said I'm fine with anything. There is a lot of things I hate. But one of them is fear mongering and crying when you don't get your partisan way. Tell you what. If in 4 years you can honestly say to me this man being in this possession effected your life in some way. Anyway. Even tiny and minuscule. I will aknowledge what your kind is doing here as not fear mongering. As it stands now. I firmly believe you will never notice.
    Sigh, I never said anything of the sort I am just pointing out that appointing unqualified people to post will have a detrimental effect on this country. Will it have an effect on my life? maybe maybe not but it will sure as hell will have an effect on how the country is run. I honestly don't get your point, do you think none of these government agencies matter period?

The VA has no effect on my life, does this mean it's okay to run it to the ground too? how about social security? I am not getting any let's destroy that too since only I and only things that affect my life should matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Welcome to four years of "Lowering the Bar"

I mean, it's not like he's a 0 out of 10...
    I agree, it's unfair to give Perry a 0, since he can feed himself, and construct semi-understandable sentences. He's at least a 1/2 out of 10. Maybe a 1.

I basically think our government is such a joke nothing even fucking matters anymore. As I grow I see more and more that this world is run by us. You and me. The people. We humor these "leaders" because we need something to watch on tv.
    Okay now I understand your point of view then it's best to agree to disagree as some men just want to watch the world burn.

10+ Year Old Account
    I basically think our government is such a joke nothing even fucking matters anymore. As I grow I see more and more that this world is run by us. You and me. The people. We humor these "leaders" because we need something to watch on tv.
    This is ridiculous lol. These "leaders" have direct control over our country and the direction we take. There's nothing wrong with wanting competent people in these positions of power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you miss the second sentence where I said draining the swamp was also fear mongering?
    No, you treating both the same was sort of the point. What do you think I meant by saying the hypocrisy, when talking about their similarities? Uhm... thanks for proving my point about having a blind spot?

Let me try an example outside of politics, to avoid the blind spot. If someone tells you they have apples and another shows you an apple. If both are treated the same, as far as knowing they have apples. Who is being treated unfairly, if anyone?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Assuming they have any real power. Which the standing point of Elim, was that he won't be having.

Kinda funny to see Wells get so triggered, though. Lost his cool at the first prospect and just resorting to shitflinging.

- - - Updated - - -

Doubt it would matter - Isn't your whole Goverment puppets anyway, with the real brains and real job being done under covers, ala how Ghostcrawler gets shit for 99% of stuff done (Whilst he did maybe 10%???)?
    I like how the head of the DoE suddenly doesn't have any power when it's convenient for the Trumpkins - mostly because even they can't defend how utterly incompetent Perry is. Tell me, did the position of head of DoE suddenly CHANGE from the Obama administration to Trump, or are you and Elim pulling shit out of your ass to save face and not look bad?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I agree, it's unfair to give Perry a 0, since he can feed himself, and construct semi-understandable sentences. He's at least a 1/2 out of 10. Maybe a 1.
    Have you ever seen him eat though? If not, for all you know he could be fed by servants, or through a tube.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Draining the swamp was 'scaremongering', replacing a nuclear physicist with a career politician in DOE should clearly be at least a little concerning.
    Is there any requirements in the job description that he must be a nuclear physicist? Or let alone a "scientist". He wont be the first person to head the DoE without a Science degree and wont be the last.

This is not a figurehead job. They do research on energy, including guidance to not stop Nuclear plant construction after the meltdown a few years ago. There is nothing in Rick Perry's past or present, that would say that his lack of knowledge on nuclear energy and being an oil salesman, wouldn't have resulted in a halt of nuclear construction, to refocus on oil.
    It pretty much is a figure head job, most if not all Heads of "ABC" departments are. They may manage the direction of the Department but there is nothing to say the Governor of the largest State in the US couldnt manage the department. It isnt like he is going to be working side by side with Nuclear Physicist, or Electrical Engineers or the like.

The reality is not a liberal vs conservative ideology. It's a simple fact of competence for the job. You as an individual, wouldn't pay to have your car repaired by a career politician, because that's likely to result in wasting money. But, you see no problem with a career politician being responsible for your tax dollars in DOE, is completely fine... let it burn! It's a fundamental disagreement on value of credentials in government, not an ideological disagreement.
    A more fitting analogy would be: Would you take your car to a mechanic who worked for a garage that was run by a CEO who was a career politician? I dont see any reason why, on the face of it, you wouldnt. It isnt he CEO who would be working on your car, but the Mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Have you ever seen him eat though? If not, for all you know he could be fed by servants, or through a tube.
    He can fucking demolish a corn dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I like how the head of the DoE suddenly doesn't have any power when it's convenient for the Trumpkins - mostly because even they can't defend how utterly incompetent Perry is. Tell me, did the position of head of DoE suddenly CHANGE from the Obama administration to Trump, or are you and Elim pulling shit out of your ass to save face and not look bad?
    It looks bad because he is an "oil man". However there is nothing to suggest that he couldnt manage the department.

The sad part of all this fear mongering is if the most likely outcome of nothing happening...happens..you all will just wave it off as "woah we got lucky", instead of acknowledging these folks did their jobs competently.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."