Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Replacing our labor force with robots and the slavery of the robotic work force...

People will inevitable lose their jobs to robots who can work tirelessly and endlessly without getting sick, needing time off, etc.

When do we put a stop to the slavery that will become the robots? Sure you'll say "hey relax, they're just freaking machines" but when do we recognize their need for civil rights representation? How long are we gonna allow it to go on before we give them equal rights?

10+ Year Old Account
    People have "lost their jobs" throughout history as methods change. That's progress.

People lost jobs as switchboards when phone technology improved. People lost jobs as typesetters when we invented things like a typewriter. People lost jobs in manufacturing as we improved our methods. People lost jobs in farming as it became more efficient with better tools.

Robots are robots. They're automatons designed for a specific purpose. They're not sentient and they're not slaves.

Pretty sure this is a joke thread, but I'll give my two cents anyway.

The most neutral way to judge how many rights something deserves is to judge it based on how its mind works. As soon as robots share our intelligence and capacity for choice and suffering, and desire equal rights, go ahead and give it to that type of robot.

As long as those working for us are mindless automatons with less capacity to think than a caterpillar, this is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    People have "lost their jobs" throughout history as methods change. That's progress.

People lost jobs as switchboards when phone technology improved. People lost jobs as typesetters when we invented things like a typewriter. People lost jobs in manufacturing as we improved our methods. People lost jobs in farming as it became more efficient with better tools.

Robots are robots. They're automatons designed for a specific purpose. They're not sentient and they're not slaves.
    Typewriters still needed typists. This is making the typewriter that has it's own typist.

But, it's okay. Being honest about complete removal of employees is too tough.

Deleted
    It's not slavery when it's not alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    People will inevitable lose their jobs to robots who can work tirelessly and endlessly without getting sick, needing time off, etc.

When do we put a stop to the slavery that will become the robots? Sure you'll say "hey relax, they're just freaking machines" but when do we recognize their need for civil rights representation? How long are we gonna allow it to go on before we give them equal rights?
    Bring these topics on! I love this shit!

As long as they are just machines that are not sentient, and do not have consciousness, feelings, free thought, emotions, personal desires, or aspirations, then I don't believe they deserve any more rights than your wrist watch. But once all of that is achieved, then I believe they deserve the same rights as a natural born human.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Robots would need to be sentient/conscious in order to qualify for things like that. Until that day they are no more slave than your toaster or hammer is.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    It's not slavery when it's not alive.
    Who devices if the droids are alive or not?

Us or them?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Until they have sentience/conciousness, etc, they are not experiencing anything, and are just automatons.

When/if they start to experience what it's like to be them, than we should extend to them the same rights/equality, etc.
    I'm going to have some fun with this.

It took a war to get people to free the slaves. (And, even then, the freers didn't view them as equals until later.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Pretty sure this is a joke thread, but I'll give my two cents anyway.

The most neutral way to judge how many rights something deserves is to judge it based on how its mind works. As soon as robots share our intelligence and capacity for choice and suffering, and desire equal rights, go ahead and give it to that type of robot.

As long as those working for us are mindless automatons with less capacity to think than a caterpillar, this is not an issue.
    It isn't a joke. At all. It's serious. People are saying "when robots become people", wasn't there a time when people looked at slaves less than people? They'd dismember them for working too slow. They would pick crops from the age of 5 years old, working 15+ hours a day.

If we are(as some believe) made in the image of God, and we create robots in our own image, dont they already share our intelligence? They are from us.

At the very least, shouldn't we have something in place ready for their own civil rights?

In Fallout 4 Deacon says something like "some of us want to save the gen 1 and 2 robots even though they are mostly machine, if we do that where do we stop? Automated turrets? Motion detecting lights?"

So we'll draw a line, if the robot passes the line, it will be treated as a human, if not it's a machine.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

When are you going to free your TV, your radio, your car, your computer? You are just another slave owner. Lead by example! Free your computer today!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Who devices if the droids are alive or not?

Us or them?
    That is a great question. Ex Machina addresses, which doesn't actually answer much in the end. The turing test is great, but if you specifically program an AI to beat the turing test, it never actually passed. And during the test, the observer has no way to trust the designer about whether or not the AI is specifically trying to trick them into thinking the AI is real.

So I actually don't have an answer. I think it is just as difficult to prove you or I are not an AI.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    If we are(as some believe) made in the image of God, and we create robots in our own image, dont they already share our intelligence?
    Not even close to. The current AI isnt able to develop consciousness.

We will recognize their rights when they are self aware or sentient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Typewriters still needed typists. This is making the typewriter that has it's own typist.

But, it's okay. Being honest about complete removal of employees is too tough.
    I said typesetters. The people who used to, by hand, set up letters on a printing press back in the 1700's.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Well, (some) people are horrible to things that are different. Ignorance, fear, hate all drive that. It's a big reason why I think we need to teach philosophy/secular spirituality, screen for psychopaths and sociopaths, etc, and expose people to other people/ideas/things, so they fear it less and have a better understanding of it.
    Doesn't that work in reverse? Like having people come to the south and realize that not everyone down here is an inbred, Banjo playing climate denying high school dropout?

10+ Year Old Account
    OK guys I get that they need to be "people" first but as I (and others) have stated, was there not a time where slaves were viewed as less than people? Kids would eat from pig troughs, they'd work all day, everyday, for just basic food(enough to keep them alive) and wars had to be fought in order to gain a TINY and I do mean a FRACTION of what free people got?

Deleted
    OK guys I get that they need to be "people" first but as I (and others) have stated, was there not a time where slaves were viewed as less than people? Kids would eat from pig troughs, they'd work all day, everyday, for just basic food(enough to keep them alive) and wars had to be fought in order to gain a TINY and I do mean a FRACTION of what free people got?
    Slaves always were people, while AI isnt conscious yet.

What point are you up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I said typesetters. The people who used to, by hand, set up letters on a printing press back in the 1700's.
    The typewriter still needed someone to work it, even if it's less than a printing press. This is a complete removal of jobs related to it.

Oh, wait. Are you another one of those "Well, clearly everyone will just go to school to fix robots" people that forgets:

1. Not everyone can go to school
    2. Not everyone is going to want to work on robots
    3. Market oversaturation