Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    We are fine, Perry is a quick learner and will remember all the new information he gets for his new job. Just like he did for this debate:

A guy so well prepared for the job he wanted, will do great in a job he has no clue about, don't you think?
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

you know, you can look at the chilean education system. its modeled after the conservatives ideals, and is fucking shitty
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Is anyone even surprised by this anymore?

I would be more surprised at this point if his appointments DID know the vaguest thing about what they were signed up for.
    stop exagerating, those ppl are smarter than u anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It is just one of the many things DoE oversees. US Nuclear Arsenal is in the hands of a completely different people - professionals. SoE doesn't directly interact with them on day to day basis. There's under secretary of nuclear security for that.

Nuclear Reactors are not Nuclear Arsenal. It's managed by a different under secretary - the under secretary of Science and Energy - along with OTHER energy sources.

You are inferring. DoE does oversee Fossil Fuels via under secretary of Science and Energy same guy who is responsible for nuclear reactors and waste management <- not Rick Perry.

What you can expect under Rick Perry is obviously the improvements in Fossil Energy area. That's it.
    Even if you are right, increasing the stake of fossil energy is quite a problem. But may you be right. Because the other scenario seems to be far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    No, he offered up three departments he wanted to cut as an example of his love of small government. He named education, commerce, and couldn't remember energy initially, but came back to that a few minutes later when he did.

Your example would still be a pretty idiotic blunder.
    Ouch, so he is essentially one of these dangerous the "market will solve this itself" retards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Our first Energy Secretary was a ecnomist, we have had lawyers, and politicans. He wasnt the first and wont be the last to not have a "science" degree.
    The issue isn't the first, nor that other choices were not wrong. Can you stop for a second and come up with a reason why it's a good choice, that doesn't involve deflecting?

My point is Rick Perry isnt doing jack shit in the Energy Deparment. He will be in Washington rubbing elbows and getting rich on the tax payers dime. The actual pencil pushers will be doing the work. Just like in my analogy, it isnt the CEO, or board members in the garage taking apart my transmission, its the mechanic.
    But, the previous did not do what you are claiming Rick Perry will do. Everything you are listing while defending Perry is either a deflection or showing him as a fucking horrible choice. As I pointed out already, when Japan had a meltdown a few years ago, because we had a Nobel prize winner in physics, he was able to make a case for us not halting nuclear energy development. Rick Perry will be getting rich, instead of being a scientist, because due to his experience, the information he will receive can almost be guaranteed to result in his recommendation to prop up oil.

You know he can only get rich robbing elbows, then how is he a good pick? How is he anything, but a horrible pick?

Dont try to pretend you know this person from what you see in the media.
    You literally just said this:

He will be in Washington rubbing elbows and getting rich on the tax payers dime
    Is there 0 self awareness or what?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    stop exagerating, those ppl are smarter than u anyway
    We are going from a nuclear physicist to a career politician in the department. Who exactly is exaggerating?
    Last edited by Felya; 2017-01-19 at 08:33 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    We are going from a nuclear physicist to a career politician in the department. Who exactly is exaggerating?
    A career politician that wanted to cut the agency (though he couldn't remember its name) in 2008, and who had literally no idea what it actually did until a few weeks back, no less.

I mean, usually when you hear some politician wanting to cut X or Y, they have a basic understanding of what they want to cut. But not good old Rick Perry, the man just lists shit he things he doesn't like and aren't necessary! Until he realizes that yes, they are necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    As far as I know, he's a pretty typical Republican paying pretty typical lip service to the idea of small government, not a libertarian.
    Might not be the right jumping off point for this, but what the heck...

Remember the typical reply to calls of Trump's incompetence? The usual, he might not know about it, but he will appoint those smarter than him. Now that his appointments are mostly nepotism, oil and big money, the reply is that those people will hire smarter people to guide them. With the way Trump's support is going, the person we really need to make sure knows their shit is the cheese... because the cheese stands alone...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Remember the typical reply to calls of Trump's incompetence? The usual, he might not know about it, but he will appoint those smarter than him. Now that his appointments are mostly nepotism, oil and big money, the reply is that those people will hire smarter people to guide them. With the way Trump's support is going, the person we really need to make sure knows their shit is the cheese... because the cheese stands alone...
    Hey, that's going about as well as the, "Don't worry, when Trump wins he'll start acting like an adult and stop shitposting on Twitter, just wait and see!" arguments have gone.

Unless you buy into the Conway argument of, "Of course he's acting presidential by shitposting on Twitter, he's going to be the president so everything he does is presidential!" for some unearthly reason -________-

I have a friend who rationalized voting for Trump with this, let's just say she rather not talk about Trump these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    if hes been governor he must have some inkling of the politics hes getting into.
    NO, he is just a dumb dumb republican. They are all stupid idiots. Only where they are because the populace is full of morons.

/s
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    NO, he is just a dumb dumb republican. They are all stupid idiots. Only where they are because the populace is full of morons.

/s
    ... I lived under his governorship. Not only is the Texas Governorship one of the least ressponsible (most power is in RR commission and Lt Gov), but he also acted more as a PR person here with attracting jobs to here. Oh, he also threatened to fire one of the most popular and sucessful university Presidents in Texas history too. He isn't that bright.

ALso, who puts a bunch of Tex AM alumni on the board for the Univeristy of Texas? Another Aggie (Perry), that's who, who obviously doesn't have the best interests of UT in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    ... I lived under his governorship. Not only is the Texas Governorship one of the least ressponsible (most power is in RR commission and Lt Gov), but he also acted more as a PR person here with attracting jobs to here. Oh, he also threatened to fire one of the most popular and sucessful university Presidents in Texas history too. He isn't that bright.

ALso, who puts a bunch of Tex AM alumni on the board for the Univeristy of Texas? Another Aggie (Perry), that's who, who obviously doesn't have the best interests of UT in mind.
    D in "meats"

He isn't that bright.
    How dare you say that of a man who managed to get a stellar 2.0 GPA in college as well as a "D" in a class called "Meats"!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, but I'll give him credit. He's a huge ham (aka funny and pokmes at himself), and pretty clearly was ok with trying a brand new thing in the public eye that he knew he sucked at. Granted, dancing =/= runnning the DOE, but still..

Nevar forget his stint on Dancing with the Stars <3

(I like Perry as a person, just not as a politician. Granted, I rather have him over Greg Abbot or Dan Patrick...)

Oh, but I'll give him credit. He's a huge ham (aka funny and pokmes at himself), and pretty clearly was ok with trying a brand new thing in the public eye that he knew he sucked at. Granted, dancing =/= runnning the DOE, but still..

Nevar forget his stint on Dancing with the Stars <3

(I like Perry as a person, just not as a politician)
    Yeah but if he....bombs at the DoE.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah but if he....bombs at the DoE.....
    Which is why I'm criticizing this appointment, and why I said dancing =/= DoE. One has much more consequences if you fail at it.

I just figure I needed to be fair with Perry.

Also, I needed an excuse to link that gif

Perry apparently wasn't aware of Administration plans to drastically cut the DoE budget today at his confirmation.

Yeh I get it, republicans are stupid. Your lot has made your belief on that matter quite clear.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is also the department Perry campaigned on cutting.

We are all so very deeply fucked.
    Isn't everyone he has appointed against the department they are in charge of?