Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

7.2 Tier Set Discussion.

Edited the post to reflect the datamining progress, after the thread was created.

They told us at Blizzcon, the Tier Sets would be based on Tier 6, the Black Temple raid sets.
    We've seen tier sets take inspiration from older tiers before. The tier sets have now all been posted here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...mor-Set-Models

They seem to not just be inspired by the old tier. But pretty much a faithful remake of the old armors. Like an HD make-over of the original look.

If you've spent any significant time in the Black Temple you probably didn't need the class lables labels to identify which set belongs to each class, as these tiers are instantly recognizable from their old versions. The Mythic sets seem to be enhanced versions of the same concepts. As an example, here is the Warlock set:

Old Tier:

New Tier:

Mythic Version:

I'm curious do what people think about this?
    Are they being smart to play to our nostalgia and give us an HD version of relatively popular tier from a popular time?
    Are you excited about gathering these looks? Or do you feel something new might have been better, as we already have no new weapon appearance to gather, beyond our artifacts?
    Would you like to see more or less remakes of old iconic items added to the game in the future?

Extra: you can see the new dungeon sets you can see here:
    http://www.wowhead.com/news=259430/p...eon-armor-sets
    Last edited by Caerule; 2017-01-21 at 07:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Judging from the icons, the Monk set looks fucking legendary

I want to see what they changed with the mythic versions.

This early in the PTR cycle it's possible these icons are placeholders. But I wouldn't be completely against a T6 HD upgrade as long as they're significantly updated and it's not "here's the same shit in a different color."

Black temple was not tier 9

Given how the Blackrock Foundry set clearly pulled a ton of inspiration for so much from T5 I'm pretty damned excited to see just how they re-envision T6. Especially now with the 3D attachment points now available with the new rigs from WoD that they've only really explored with Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    This early in the PTR cycle it's possible these icons are placeholders. But I wouldn't be completely against a T6 HD upgrade as long as they're significantly updated and it's not "here's the same shit in a different color."
    The icons have a normal and a mythic version, and also sets for the monk DH and DK that weren't in TBC for obvious reasons.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    They told us at Blizzcon, the Tier Sets would be based on Tier 9, the Black Temple raid sets.
    The Black Temple sets were T6
    *Minaah* lvl 120 / Resto & Balance Druid -- GM of Onslaught on Doomhammer-US, Horde

Ew. T6 hunter looks like shit.
    Bad choice is bad
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by drbatman View Post
    Black temple was not tier 9
    Yes, sorry. That was a placeholder number I forgot to correct. Fixed.

7.2 is still a ways away and these could be PH but if t6 remakes really are on the slate I'm hoping the sets are majorly revamped and only have somewhat similar characteristics for flavor. I'm really hoping they're not just recolor plus a little bit of 3D. Luckily I main a monk and it should be an entirely new set.
    Last edited by franbomb; 2017-01-20 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    I want to see what they changed with the mythic versions.
    Seconding.

I mean I wanna see the original version first, but still.

The icons have a normal and a mythic version, and also sets for the monk DH and DK that weren't in TBC for obvious reasons.
    Right, it's still not totally unusual for early PTRs to pick up versions of the icons which are later refined. That said, I'd rather hold off judgment of the tier until they release the models rather than blindly speculating over what the icons mean.

They told us at Blizzcon, the Tier Sets would be based on Tier 6, the Black Temple raid sets.
    We've seen tier sets take inspiration from older tiers before. The tier sets have not been datamined yet at the time of this writing, if they are even fully in yet, but their icons have been revealed. You can see them on the front page already.

They seem to not just be inspired by the old tier. But pretty much a faithful remake of the old armors. Like an HD make-over of the original look. I won't post all the icons here, as it would be a mess. But I can post the helmets and shoulders:
    Mage - Warlock - Priest - Shaman - Warrior - Rogue - Hunter - Druid - Paladin.

If you've spent any significant time in the Black Temple you probably didn't need my labels to identify which class set each headpiece belongs to, as these tiers are instantly recognizable from their old versions. The Mythic sets seem to be enhanced versions of the same concepts.

I'm curious to what people think about this?
    Are they being smart to play to our nostalgia and give us an HD version of relatively popular tier from a popular time?
    Are you excited about gathering these looks? Or do you feel something new might have been better, as we already have no new weapon appearance to gather, beyond our artifacts?
    Would you like to see more or less remakes of old iconic items added to the game in the future?
    Someone on Reddit went through all the images.

Edit: Seems I was beat by the post above me

I Put together the DH DK and Monk mythic set icons to get a feel for them. As a DH I feel it seems kinda lame really need to see it in 3D the shoulder looks cool but the helm eeeh. Monk however looks sick

Last edited by Donovan4893; 2017-01-20 at 06:50 AM.

The Monk, Demon Hunter and Death Knight sets are new ones. For those curious about their looks:

Edit: Seems you beat me on those sets @Donovan4893

- - - Updated - - -

The Mythic versions seem to follow pretty much the same concept as in previous tiers:
    Color change, small added detail, more spikes and horns.
    The biggest change seems to be for warriors who go from to .
    Most seem more subtle.

FFS, they JUST gave locks this cool, spiky demon spidery set and now we're getting HD WINGS BACK?!

also

Monk normal/hc gear looks like the white Power Ranger
    -- And as things fell apart Nobody paid much attention --

Deleted
    Guess they run out of ideas just like us mortals.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    God fucking damn they look good.