Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Why hire a shitty candidate in the first place? There are numerous candidates qualified for the positions.
    As people took no end of glee in exclaiming, nobody wanted to work for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Yes a message hidden so deep that Trumpkins will instead go with the media created fake news in which to make the pick look bad. Realistically we can go back 2 pages and see someone doing the very same thing about Perry being an inadequate choice of Department of Energy.
    Two people might consider the utility of having to do public, high-level dismissals. They might even come to the same spin conclusion.

You are all aware that this is completely fake news, right?
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ick-perry.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    You are all aware that this is completely fake news, right?
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ick-perry.html
    Completely Fake News that Perry is unqualified?

If you want to argue the Nuclear Claim that's fine...but to claim he is qualified to do the job he's been nominated for....

From your own link:

None of this, of course, changes the fact that it makes zero sense to tap someone as unqualified as Perry to a position that has, as the Times story points out, in the recent past been held by experts with deep knowledge of nuclear energy and security — it really could be dangerous.

It's really entertaining to watch Trumpets in this thread perform their gold medal mental gymnastics in bid to justify an obviously indefensible position, just like in the education thread.

For a political party that's allegedly known for their anti-China rhetoric, they sure love to take many leaves out of China's book - like the Cultural Revolution for instance.

Sure, unlike the Cultural Revolution the Republican movement has been notably less violent, but nobody sane can deny that their ideology and actions are any less anti-intellectual. At the base, the point is to displace scholars/persons-of-qualifications from knowledge-based positions, just that the endgame is instead of Maoist thought, it's a irreversibly corrupted and depraved version of Conservatism.

Ultimately, it's obvious that at this rate the US is going to wind up roughly the same as with the aftermath of the Cultural Revolution - decades or even centuries set back on societal progress, especially in areas of science and technological development.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2017-01-20 at 06:12 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Ahh the famous conundrum....experience vs. oh I don't know...LIVING through it. I mean you can't be serious.
    Im curious what did ben carson "live through" that qualifies him for to lead hud?

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Im curious what did ben carson "live through" that qualifies him for to lead hud?
    A black man growing up in Detroit in the 60s-70s strikes me as having firsthand experience in urban blight, if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    A black man growing up in Detroit in the 60s-70s strikes me as having firsthand experience in urban blight, if nothing else.
    I have extensive experience playing video games. Make me the lead game developer at a major company!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    So every tom dick and harry fitting these requirements would qualify for the job too?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I have extensive experience playing video games. Make me the lead game developer at a major company!
    I watched Beat Bobby Flay -- Does that make me qualified to be head chef at your restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Your gun is big but your aim sucks.

Rick Perry is at the top of DoE - he won't be doing any serious work. All he can do is wiggle the budget around trying to pour more money into Science and Energy budget, which then be managed by the under secretary of Science and Energy.

SoE is not some almighty god. He won't be able to just shut down NNSA or cut their budget significantly as you and wells are scaremongering here

So far you have been wrong about everything you said. might want to quit while your behind

Under Secretary for Nuclear Security Frank Klotz and his deputy Madelyn Creedon were let go by Trump so he has effectively shutdown the NNSA.

Good luck getting a budget when you don't have anybody that can submit one.

Rick Perry is an Animal science major from an agricultural school so I agree he won't be doing any serious work. Compared to say Obama's appointee who was a Professor at Stanford and Berkeley and won the Nobel Prize for Physics.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You could hardly do worse than some of the schmucks who've been hired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Completely Fake News that Perry is unqualified?

If you want to argue the Nuclear Claim that's fine...but to claim he is qualified to do the job he's been nominated for....

From your own link:

None of this, of course, changes the fact that it makes zero sense to tap someone as unqualified as Perry to a position that has, as the Times story points out, in the recent past been held by experts with deep knowledge of nuclear energy and security — it really could be dangerous.
    Auch. That attempt at burying this discussion under the "fake news" tombstone backfired quickly.

I run a small company specialized in industrial and geological services. 98% of my work is administrative, financial, sales, and negotiations related, yet I would be completely unqualified and useless at my job if I didn't have a science/geology background. I actually need to understand the services we provide to do my job.

This is universally true to the management of any highly technical organization. I can't really think of a department more technical than the DoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Nothing smart is ever prefaced with "by your logic"
    I think that's the point of it. When people use that term, they are implying your logic isn't smart and they attempt to demonstrate it with a correlation. I don't think I would be admitting that no one has ever correlated my logic to anything smart.

WTB more unqualifieds!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    The video of his confirmation hearing is also fake news
    This video has nothing to do with this thread claim.

Noone disputes that he called for elimination of DoE several years ago. What is disputed is claim that "he is so unqualified he didn't even know DoE manages nuclear weapons" - that is "fake news" part, unsourced allegation that noone confirmed.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teddabear View Post
    Rick Perry is an Animal science major from an agricultural school so I agree he won't be doing any serious work. Compared to say Obama's appointee who was a Professor at Stanford and Berkeley and won the Nobel Prize for Physics.
    A physicist/professor is no more qualified to run DoE than anybody else not to mention Animal science major, physics is a narrow specialization that has nothing to do with management of state's department (same for Animal science), it doesn't make one the all-knowing being of pure genius who is qualified for anything. Same for Nobel prizes. It's in Physics. Not Management. So irrelevant.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    This video has nothing to do with this thread claim.

Noone disputes that he called for elimination of DoE several years ago. What is disputed is claim that "he is so unqualified he didn't even know DoE manages nuclear weapons" - that is "fake news" part, unsourced allegation that noone confirmed.
    Watch the clip he clearly says he changed his mind because he did not know what the DOE does until his cabinet briefing. Again the man couldn't even do a google search to figure out what his department does.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    Watch the clip he clearly says he changed his mind because he did not know what the DOE does until his cabinet briefing. Again the man couldn't even do a google search to figure out what his department does.
    He didn't know FIVE YEARS AGO. When he said it should be eliminated.

There is no indications that he didn't know extent of DoE operations when he was nominated (though obviously he didn't know every DoE program specifically).
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2017-01-20 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    He didn't know FIVE YEARS AGO. When he said it should be eliminated.

There is no indications that he didn't know extent of DoE operations when he was nominated (though obviously he didn't know every DoE program specifically).
    You don't get briefings until you are nominated which means he learned about it RECENTLY.

The man is saying it in his own words how clueless he was and this was his opening statement, the hearing gets much more cringe worthy after that.