Thread: Monks in NH

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Monks in NH

Hey, Is there anything we can do as monks? (any spec) like use Dave to tank an add? kite something as a dps, good at eating cake with movement speeds to reduce the damage stuffed might do?
    Thanks

So I dominated in my raid last night. The people I play with are good not great, kind of like me. I am usually 3rd in dps, last night I was almost always 1 and it was by a wide margin. The multi-target DPS is crazy good and it is not useless damage, there are tons of adds on bosses for this Raid Instance. I also don't think Serenity is the go to move for these encounters, yes you can change it out for certain bosses but overall I think SEF with WDP is best and Hit Combo stays. More movement was very helpful on some bosses just ok on others, but I would say the nicest thing is all the wonderful cleave damage we do.

P.S. The stats on the drops tho are just depressing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did the first 4 bosses as a healer today.

Transcendence: transfer is amazing for quite a lot of mechanics.

First boss: get away fast with roll/torpedo when he looks at you, teleport back to safety behind crystal.

Second boss: Stand outside when the blue orb rings come, port inside so you don't have to run around much. Can also port outside if you have bomb.

Third boss: ported a lot to get around his rotating lasers and out of tight spots with the purple ground shit.

Fourth boss: teleport to mark of frost collide location

Damn I love our port

Also chi-chi and revival are pretty great for second boss with the +castspeed/-cooldown buff.

Dave could probably work great in tanking some adds - there's lots of nasty tank debuffs.
    Last edited by AetherMcLoud; 2017-01-19 at 02:08 AM.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I also had a pretty great time in NH last night, we did 8/10N and I was #1 healing on every fight (even though 2nd and 3rd boss had like NO healing, seriously 2 people could heal 30 mans). Essence Font is super strong on a lot of the fights, double roll/transfer combo is insane on a lot of the fights too. Was thinking about rerolling Druid for this tier (still have her as an alt at 875 to use when needed) but ultimately I'm glad I stuck with Monk after getting a glimpse of the instance.

Tanked 8/10N last night, and have to admit i loved it, both me and our G Druid felt really strong on most of the fights we managed to get to the enrage timer on Tichondrius and i basically just sat and face tanked it for about 20-30 secs with constant orbs spawning and purifying millions of damage away, was great to see monk strength as a tank shine through even just for a few seconds, still learning it myself having rerolled to BRM from a BDK.

5/10H at the moment and I have to say monk feels pretty strong. Strengths I've noticed so far:
    Skorpyron: tanked adds (small and red) and several groups at a time when people flew out. Stun > Fort Brew and I was nowhere near death despite how devastating fatboss made them out to be. We 1 shot him with people messing up left and right.
    Spellblade: Taunting statue was really handy for grouping up frost adds during animate
    Krosus: Setting teleport behind first platform made the first dropoff a breeze, and one chi torpedo for each of the rest was all that was needed.

High Tolerance definitely earned its keep on a few bosses, specifically Spellblade Aluriel. Also HT + Mystic Vitality might be helpful on Krosus if you find you're getting hit really hard, since his debuff is fire damage. I didn't really get to test that combo though. DH did the job well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Densalo View Post
    5/10H at the moment and I have to say monk feels pretty strong. Strengths I've noticed so far:
    Skorpyron: tanked adds (small and red) and several groups at a time when people flew out. Stun > Fort Brew and I was nowhere near death despite how devastating fatboss made them out to be. We 1 shot him with people messing up left and right.
    Spellblade: Taunting statue was really handy for grouping up frost adds during animate
    Krosus: Setting teleport behind first platform made the first dropoff a breeze, and one chi torpedo for each of the rest was all that was needed.

High Tolerance definitely earned its keep on a few bosses, specifically Spellblade Aluriel. Also HT + Mystic Vitality might be helpful on Krosus if you find you're getting hit really hard, since his debuff is fire damage. I didn't really get to test that combo though. DH did the job well enough.
    i've now got the 2P and will be starting Heroic on Monday, with HT & MV i expect spellblade will be alot easier hoping to roll the 4P on monday.. be nice to have some good luck!!

Deleted
    I did some of Nh normal last night, and the night before (different monks) Both as WW
    Tried different utility... WW having taunting statue made the fights SO much easier on like spam add fights, all the mobs just ran straight at the tank with out the tank even having to respond. Leg sweep was often not really needed as we had other forms of disable, but none else had the ablity to bring all the adds straight to a point.

Transcendence as others have said was soo useful. the first time i went though I wasn't really using it much to my advantage, but the 2nd night, knowing what was coming, made using it really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Dave could probably work great in tanking some adds - there's lots of nasty tank debuffs.
    I have found Dave does very nice on Tichondrius. The moment the bats spawn they get taunted to the statue. I started dropping it after I noticed heals getting aggro on the bats when they spawn.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I have found Dave does very nice on Tichondrius. The moment the bats spawn they get taunted to the statue. I started dropping it after I noticed heals getting aggro on the bats when they spawn.
    Thanks for this, have to admit didn't think of that when i done it on Normal on Wednesday, will try it for our heroic clear on Monday

7+ Year Old Account
    I have but one question... WHO IS DAVE?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCoco View Post
    I have but one question... WHO IS DAVE?
    Dave the ox statue......

lvl 107 on my Monk, the 110 BrM dream is almost upon me.. Dave I'm coming ya bastard!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm usually a 'realist' and have found faults with specs even when people say they are fine. But from what I'm seeing (at least in N and H modes, can't speak for M yet or when people get better gear since Monks are usually bad with gear scaling), all 3 specs are doing pretty good in NH.

BrMs are very solid tanks, and NH has a lot of "1 shot" mechanics for tanks. Our Prot Pally has gone from near full to dead several times already, and that was in N mode. I imagine BrMs will excel on those fights.

I played as a MW and topped the healing meters for most of the fights. We were running 30 people for N and H though, which makes MW heals very good (Revival, ReM, and Chi Burst all scale very well with more people in raid to heal).

Can't speak for WWs since haven't raided with one, but there are plenty of fights with cleaves, I imagine they will be near the top there. Their mobility is also VERY good for a lot of the fights. I feel like DKs will have a hard time in NH since so many fights require having good "GTFO out of there" or "Run to this far away place" mobility.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Dave's helpful for Skorp, Spellblade, Star Augur, and Tich. He's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Llarold View Post
    Dave's helpful for Skorp, Spellblade, Star Augur, and Tich. He's great.
    i thought of Skorp, but i assumed he would start pulling all of the scorpions that arent attacking and cause more issues.

i thought of Skorp, but i assumed he would start pulling all of the scorpions that arent attacking and cause more issues.
    Same here...have you guys been using Dave on Skorp without triggering extra scorps?
    If so, I'll try that next week.

Quote Originally Posted by taek View Post
    Same here...have you guys been using Dave on Skorp without triggering extra scorps?
    If so, I'll try that next week.
    I figured it out. The scorpids are untargetable, and unattackable unless he uses Call of the Scorpid, or they get body pulled.

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured it out. The scorpids are untargetable, and unattackable unless he uses Call of the Scorpid, or they get body pulled.
    Bingo. He picks up adds that exist, doesn't pull extra.

So im not sure if this is working as intended, but currently we can drop trans before every one of Guldan's empowered orb knockbacks, and teleport right out of them not taking dmg. Pretty OP.