Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Too much religious talk in Politics

50% of the inauguration speech was talking about God and Jesus.

This is why American government, politics is in ruins.

Separate the two.

God is not our president. Donald Trump is now, and he cant put all the blame or pressure on God.

Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post

Separate the two.

God is not our president. Donald Trump is now, and he cant put all the blame or pressure on God.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. As a fellow Atheist, I think we should recognize the fact that the overwhelming majority of most humans are not. People think God is important. People think the US president is important. Asking for God to look down upon an important person is pretty standard religious expression, which is protected speech under our Constitution.

Deleted
    America is super religious

Yeah, it's scary for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. As a fellow Atheist, I think we should recognize the fact that the overwhelming majority of most humans are not. People think God is important. People think the US president is important. Asking for God to look down upon an important person is pretty standard religious expression, which is protected speech under our Constitution.
    Most people are religious on paper and when you ask them in person because they thing its a bad thing to say that you are an Atheist. Run some survey that's anonymous and more people would say that they are not religious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post

Separate the two.

Money is why the American government and politics are in ruins, religion plays a much smaller role. Frankly, it is naive to believe any system will function properly when a lot of people have an incentive to fuck with it, and for every person that gains something from fucking with it 100 (or more) gets fucked by it.

Next up you have the media, who are supposed to keep stuff like that in check, they also have an incentive to do things one way or another (perhaps because they are owned by someone who can get an advantage by spinning things one way). In the end you have a lot of misinformed people making poor choices while blaming everyone but the ones who are fucking them over, which is pretty much an accurate picture of America today.

Incredibly enough, a lot of americans still have too much pride to even realize this, and they refuse to acknowledge that other countries are doing things much better than they are. For example: The american education system sucks. Typical response: Well screw you, we have some of the best universities in the world! A counterpoint that neatly ignores anything but the top 1% (Or more, probably), as if having that somehow makes up for how shitty the rest is.
    Last edited by mmoc738030ea5a; 2017-01-20 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Most people are religious on paper and when you ask them in person because they thing its a bad thing to say that you are an Atheist. Run some survey that's anonymous and more people would say that they are not religious.
    I'm sure what you say is true, if not in tiny numbers compared to what you seem to think. If you are arguing that ~90% (I don't have a current figure) of the planet is just faking it, that seems like an interesting position to take, to say the least.

It's weird and maybe even a bit scary, but religion seems to be deeply embedded into the US' culture.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

You can always do what I choose to do, and not bother ever watching an inauguration. They are a waste of time.

Yes....

Religion does not belong in Government in any shape or form.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

we're supposed to have separation of church and state. this kind of thing shouldn't be allowed at all.

we need another president that wants to be sworn in on a book of law.

Deleted
    I'm sure what you say is true, if not in tiny numbers compared to what you seem to think. If you are arguing that ~90% (I don't have a current figure) of the planet is just faking it, that seems like an interesting position to take, to say the least.
    A lot of people say they are religious. They probably also believe it. The same way a lot of people think they are vegetarian when they stick to things that are not beef. If there was a specific requirement to be religious, in the same way you can specifically say if someone works as a secretary for example, then you wouldn't have to rely on asking people and could instead just check who are and who are not. People are not realiable, and asking them something like that is just... silly.

People say that they are religious without even considering what that word means. In my country there is about 80% or religious people that declared as such. But 90% of them are just religious on paper, they "belong" to the major religion in that country because its in ( im not talking about Islamic countries ) without even knowing major facts of their religion.

as a trump supporter not gonna lie the religious shit was cringy af for me lol
    mr pickles

Quote Originally Posted by Degn89 View Post
    A lot of people say they are religious. They probably also believe it. The same way a lot of people think they are vegetarian when they stick to things that are not beef. If there was a specific requirement to be religious, in the same way you can specifically say if someone works as a secretary for example, then you wouldn't have to rely on asking people and could instead just check who are and who are not. People are not realiable, and asking them something like that is just... silly.
    I think your point is what is silly. No offense. I really doubt the majority of the planet is just pretending to be religious. That's just...bizarre.

A massive portion of Americans believe in Angels and God, so...

Deleted
    I think your point is what is silly. No offense. I really doubt the majority of the planet is just pretending to be religious. That's just...bizarre.
    I'm not saying people pretend to be religious (Some probably do), I'm saying people are very prone to thinking they are one thing while in reality they are something else. Especially when it comes to something as vague as being religious. By all means, feel free to make a list of what can undeniably be called requirements for being religious, then we can get an idea of how many people are actually religious.

Short example: Do you have to believe the bible literally to be an actual christian, or do you just have to believe it figuratively? How much of it do you have to know / believe? And so on. A lot of people have a vague idea that when they die they go to heaven, and when asked if they are religious they will say yes. Not to pretend they are religious, but because they believe they are, and I'm not sure I would call some vague idea of an afterlife enough to qualify as being religious.
    Last edited by mmoc738030ea5a; 2017-01-20 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    It is growing, mostly things to millennials.

What you posted has absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted. I was refuting the ridiculous notion that most religious people are faking it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why anyone is surprised considering the sort of crowd the new president attracts.

Religion is and will forever remain to be a drug for the masses.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If there is a scale of religiosity with say India as the most religious country and Sweden as the most Atheist, then America is a lot like a country filled with Indians, ruled by Swedes.

I personally see no issue with religion talk, though Trump didn't reference my religion, I did see what he said and understood it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.