I have to admit, Immitis may be onto something with that Captain Falcon game idea.

The rest I'm scratching my head at, but it's definitely true more people learned about Captain Falcon as a fighter from Smash than from F-Zero as a racer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be down for a DK64 sequel, but the problem with that is they don't have Rare to write it anymore. Luckily we do have Yooka-Laylee on the way from most of the original Rare team, but it's not exclusive so not sure where I'll grab that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hououin Kyouma View Post
    more people learned about Captain Falcon as a fighter from Smash than from F-Zero as a racer.
    The same is true about the majority of characters in Smash.

Ness, Kid Icarus, all the fire emblem characters pre awakening, Ice Climbers... etc. Damn near over half the roster came from pretty niche games that where in no way anywhere near as popular as smash.

That doesn't mean they will do well in some half ass genre idea just because people like them in smash or know then from smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The same is true about the majority of characters in Smash.

Ness, Kid Icarus, all the fire emblem characters pre awakening, Ice Climbers... etc. Damn near over half the roster came from pretty niche games that where in no way anywhere near as popular as smash.

That doesn't mean they will do well in some half ass genre idea just because people like them in smash or know then from smash.
    Except none of them are games that really directly compete with another, far more popular Nintendo title.

Like, why make another F-Zero when Mario kart is already as popular as it is?

Sure, they can have both released, but it seems like Nintendo doesn't really want their own games to compete that closely. Ex- Paper Mario becoming less of an RPG, Mario and Luigi games tend to fill that role more. Hell, they even dropped Wario Land as a title it seems.

They tried to reboot Kid Icarus with Pit's popularity it seems during Brawl, so it doesn't appear to be too far of a stretch to think they use the popularity of the Smash roster.

I'm just saying, it's not an awful idea, and it could very well be successful. It's as simple as "people like Falcon Punching things". It could work. It could fail horribly.

Are we really comparing F-Zero to Mario Kart?

They literally share nothing outside of both being racing games.

It's like comparing Assassins Creed to Zelda because they're both action adventure...

Also I'm pretty sure every F Zero game ever has been a financial success for Nintendo. Literally 3 main line games and 6 million sales from the 3. People are acting like it's some damn AAA franchise Nintendo would lose money on. Some stupid ass action adventure game starring Captain Falcon would likely cost more, be a much bigger risk and end up bombing far harder then any F-Zero game could ever hope to.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-01-20 at 04:19 PM.

Are we really comparing F-Zero to Mario Kart?

They literally share nothing outside of both being racing games.

It's like comparing Assassins Creed to Zelda because they're both action adventure...
    The difference between Assassin's Creed and Zelda are far more than between F-Zero and Mario Kart. Not nearly the same.

Biggest point, they're not both made by Nintendo. No matter what you think of how different they are, like I said, it seems Nintendo doesn't care and considers them too close.

Hence, the Paper Mario/Wario Land examples.

http://nintendotoday.com/titanfall-on-nintendo-switch/

Apparently no chance of Titanfall on the Switch : /

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

While his comment is hilarious, his shot at Zelda gave me some lulz. Technical superiority be damned, BoTW still looks like a piece of art compared to the generic AAA graphics of titanfall.

While his comment is hilarious, his shot at Zelda gave me some lulz. Technical superiority be damned, BoTW still looks like a piece of art compared to the generic AAA graphics of titanfall.
    Sounds like an arrogant snarky dev to be honest.

Also I agree. BoTW looks fucking stunning for it's style.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Even if it was powerful enough, I think Nintendo is too far down the rabbit hole for people to care about these types of games on a Nintendo system.

At least at this point in time.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-01-20 at 05:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hououin Kyouma View Post
    Even if it was powerful enough, I think Nintendo is too far down the rabbit hole for people to care about these types of games on a Nintendo system.

At least at this point in time.
    True but it needs some kind of 3rd party support outside of last gen Fifa and random JRPG ports if it's going to get a good install base. Even if its down res to 720, it needs current gen versions of things like the EA sports catalogue and some kind of shooters like CoD.

I doubt it will get them, but it's needed badly.

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    True but it needs some kind of 3rd party support outside of last gen Fifa and random JRPG ports if it's going to get a good install base. Even if its down res to 720, it needs current gen versions of things like the EA sports catalogue and some kind of shooters like CoD.

Agreeable, but I feel like it's hit the point of where people don't expect it anymore. They just gave up.

It would be a pleasant surprise to see bigger 3rd party support, but I expect it to just be a borderline "meh" on that again.

I don't think the Switch can even run modern sports games at 720p, which is why it's getting versions based off last gen for NBA and FIFA.

The switch needs 3rd party support 100% because Nintendo supporting a system by themselves even without an extra one to support is still sketchy. I don't think it needs western AAA support however and I'm not sure those games will even sell well on the platform. It needs indies, niche japanese games, lower budget EA/Ubisoft games like Valiant Hearts or Unravel etc. Also if FIFA and NBA do well on it that would be good, get madden and NHL on the thing even if last gen versions and that's pretty attractive as mobile versions of those games.

But AAA shooters/Assassins Creed type shit? I don't really see the market for those on the Switch regardless of if it becomes a success or not. Those are games built for eye candy to be looked at on your impressive TVs or gaming monitors. You greatly compromise the very purpose of the games to downgrade them for the switch and it will end up looking pretty lackluster compared to games actually aimed at the switch.

Switch will get plenty of original 3rd party games though just because it's the only handheld. Will probably be a year before 3ds fully dies though.eurogamer says they're confidant stars is still coming this year
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Switch will get plenty of original 3rd party games though just because it's the only handheld. Will probably be a year before 3ds fully dies though.eurogamer says they're confidant stars is still coming this year
    I'm confident stars is coming this year as well...

On the 3DS.

Nintendo couldn't even be arsed to port the FE remake to the Switch I highly doubt The Pokemon Company is porting the 3rd version to the Switch(if it even exists). They didn't even port Black and White 2 to the 3DS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confident stars is coming this year as well...

On the 3DS.

Nintendo couldn't even be arsed to port the FE remake to the Switch I highly doubt The Pokemon Company is porting the 3rd version to the Switch(if it even exists). They didn't even port Black and White 2 to the 3DS.
    My timelines are shaky, could it be they had already started X/Y for 3DS and didn't feel it was worth taking B&W2 and scrapping it for the new style?

I don't think the Switch can even run modern sports games at 720p, which is why it's getting versions based off last gen for NBA and FIFA.

The switch needs 3rd party support 100% because Nintendo supporting a system by themselves even without an extra one to support is still sketchy. I don't think it needs western AAA support however and I'm not sure those games will even sell well on the platform. It needs indies, niche japanese games, lower budget EA/Ubisoft games like Valiant Hearts or Unravel etc. Also if FIFA and NBA do well on it that would be good, get madden and NHL on the thing even if last gen versions and that's pretty attractive as mobile versions of those games.

But AAA shooters/Assassins Creed type shit? I don't really see the market for those on the Switch regardless of if it becomes a success or not. Those are games built for eye candy to be looked at on your impressive TVs or gaming monitors. You greatly compromise the very purpose of the games to downgrade them for the switch and it will end up looking pretty lackluster compared to games actually aimed at the switch.
    Seriously who gives a crap about indies? I get free indies every month and not a single game is actually fun since most indie games are more suited for mobile instead.

Nintendo lost the JRPG genre to the playstation because of the same reasons it lost the triple A developers. If Nintendo was serious in attracting more partners they would have made sure FF was coming to the Switch not as a afterthought but as a major release that gets the same level as support as the PS and Xbox.

My timelines are shaky, could it be they had already started X/Y for 3DS and didn't feel it was worth taking B&W2 and scrapping it for the new style?
    X&Y came out like 2 years after the 3DS launched. B&W2 came out months after the 3DS launched.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post

Nintendo lost the JRPG genre
    Must be why the 3DS has a a stellar JRPG library.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously who gives a crap about indies?
    Apparently enough people give a crap about indies to make games like SV, BoI, UT, Shovel Knight etc multi million sellers.

X&Y came out like 2 years after the 3DS launched. B&W2 came out months after the 3DS launched.

- - - Updated - - -

Must be why the 3DS has a a stellar JRPG library.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently enough people give a crap about indies to make games like SV, BoI, UT, Shovel Knight etc multi million sellers.
    Since when does the 3ds compete with PS and the xbox?

So you named 4 out of potentially thousands of indie games....I get a free indie games on my PS plus account every month but just because rocket league (before my time) ended up becoming popular doesn't make the 30 or so indie games I got ever since any good.
    Last edited by ati87; 2017-01-20 at 07:36 PM.

Since when does the 3ds compete with PS and the xbox?

So you named 4 out of potentially thousands of indie games....I get a free indie games on my PS plus account every month but just because rocket league (before my team) ended up becoming popular doesn't make the 30 or so indie games I got ever since any good.
    Yes, there are a ton of terrible indie games. But there are plenty of fantastic indie games as well, and it's a pretty thriving section of the market.

Why do you think Microsoft and Sony regularly dedicate a chunk of any press conference they do to indie games? Nintendo has in the past, but not sure what they've done lately. They made a big push for "Nindies" a few times, IIRC.