Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes, there are a ton of terrible indie games. But there are plenty of fantastic indie games as well, and it's a pretty thriving section of the market.

Why do you think Microsoft and Sony regularly dedicate a chunk of any press conference they do to indie games? Nintendo has in the past, but not sure what they've done lately. They made a big push for "Nindies" a few times, IIRC.
    Reason?

Because you have bunch of people overstating the value of indie games and talking about them if it's the second coming of Jesus.

It's not about being good or bad games, you have that with triple A developers as well. It's about selling consoles and the average consumer gives more crap about playing the next Call of Duty/Battlefield (example) or Fifa then the indie game.

You don't wait for the good indie game you discover them.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Reason?

Because you have bunch of people overstating the value of indie games and talking about them if it's the second coming of Jesus.
    Or...wait for it...because it's a profitable thing to do. Because having a thriving ecosystem of indies, including some great top quality ones, makes their respective consoles more attractive to potential buyers, and those indies move enough software for the platform holders to dedicate stage time to them at a press conference.

Do you think any of them would bother giving indies the time of day if they weren't profitable and successful for the platform holders?

It's not about being good or bad games, you have that with triple A developers as well. It's about selling consoles and the average consumer gives more crap about playing the next Call of Duty/Battlefield (example) or Fifa then the indie game.
    Average Joe/Jane? Sure. But indies aren't targeted at Average Joe/Jane, they're targeted at the core gamer who spends more than Average Joe/Jane each year. Core gamers are of more value to platform holders given the fact that they usually spend far more on software every year, which is more money in the pockets of the respective platform holders.

You don't wait for the good indie game you discover them.
    Or, sometimes media discover and share them. Or platform holders give them stage time/booth space and some major promotion through their own marketing channels.

Seriously who gives a crap about indies? I get free indies every month and not a single game is actually fun since most indie games are more suited for mobile instead.
    Lots of people give a crap about indies myself including. Just because u don't like them doesn't mean others feel the same way.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Dfc thinks switch will sell 40 million by 2020

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ts-by-2020-dfc
    Last edited by Immitis; 2017-01-20 at 08:50 PM.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what he's smoking but I want some. Geez.

I WANT to be wrong here but thats ludicrous.

- - - Updated - - -

Games industry analysts are...not great. At least it's not Pachter, but I'd be surprised if the Switch could hit those numbers, especially since they're still going to be supporting the 3DS.

If they were killing the 3DS alongside the Wii U and trying to move all their developers over, there may have been a chance. But I just can't see it hitting anywhere near those sales numbers as things stand.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Xbox sold 25 million in about that time, I would say its unlikely to hit 40. What I find weird is thats conservative, wth were they expecting.

Is the pro controller available from anywhere in the US yet for pre-order?

They will kill the 3DS as well, just not yet™
    The Japanese are always wishy-washy about stuff. I'd expect half-hearted support for both for another year or two, then sales for the Switch will pick up as its the only "handheld" available. Maybe we'll even get a "2DS" version of the Switch with a smaller screen, ruggedized, and built-in joycons for the kids market.

For sure though, it would benefit them to allow indie titles on the Switch. They still want to control the hardware/their market, but if they know people want mobile/mobile-like games, they should really open up the platform for it. As much as people like to pan Sony/Vita, they have a long history with the PSP and Vita of getting indie and AA developers to make games for the system. Then again, Nintendo lives in a bubble and doesn't study the competition, so I doubt they will learn from that.

I'm guessing 10 million first year. Better than wiiu not as good as 3ds
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

- - - Updated - - -

Not that hard to imagine. To date 3DS sales are over 60m world wide and while switch is immediately replacing the wiiu it will eventually replace the 3DS. And yes the 3DS came out in 2011 so its done 60m in ~ 5 years. (Onlt figures up to December 2016 are available)
    Last edited by pyrostorm9001; 2017-01-20 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Math

I'm guessing 10 million first year. Better than wiiu not as good as 3ds
    The 3DS did not sell 10 mil in it's first year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    And yes the 3DS came out in 2011 so its done 60m in ~ 4 years.
    Math how does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Actually, it did - http://mashable.com/2012/01/26/ninte.../#yPH7aqaslEqo

11.4 million, but that was on the back of a massive price cut to the system that dramatically boosted slow sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Actually, it did - http://mashable.com/2012/01/26/ninte.../#yPH7aqaslEqo

11.4 million, but that was on the back of a massive price cut to the system that dramatically boosted slow sales.
    Sold to stores, not sold to consumers.

Back then stores where flooded with 3DS stock and hoping to get rid of it.

The 3DS was really a floundering system until Yokai Watch in Japan, and X&Y in the rest of the world saved it.

This is the big thing people need to realize with sales figures in the coming months with the Switch. Only Sony reports sold to consumers, Nintendo reports shipped and MS doesn't report at all anymore(but when they did much like Nintendo it was sold to stores).
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-01-20 at 11:31 PM.

Sold to stores, not sold to consumers.
    No where in that link does it state that.

It does say
    Even so, sales for Nintendo 3DS were actually the bright spot of the company's financial reporting for the period — it sold 11.4 million units worldwide.
    And that was right after it received a massive price cut.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    And yes the 3DS came out in 2011 so its done 60m in ~ 4 years.
    Its been 6 years (Nearly) since release.

Ontopic: Ill be highly impressed if The Switch breaks 5 million units sold this year. It has a lack luster line up (3 big games) and there is no telling how long it will take Nintendo to restock the system.

There is also a bunch of stupid choices they made that doesn't help anything.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No where in that link does it state that.
    No, it's just common knowledge on how Nintendo releases sales information.

No, it's just common knowledge on how Nintendo releases sales information.
    So its ur opinion vs a report....

I think ill side with the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So its ur opinion vs a report....

I think ill side with the report.
    No, it's a literal fact. I'm sorry you don't actually understand the difference.

There is a reason in every Sony report on PS4 sales they specifically say SOLD THROUGH, not just sold. A shipped unit is considered a sold unit as the store bought it from the manufacturer.

It's not rocket science.

The 3DS didn't even reach 2 mil in the US according to NPD in it's launch year but people are under the delusions it actually sold 11.5 mil in 10 months WW? GTFO. Europe was not exactly big on the system either and we can look at mediacreate and know it didn't sell 7 mil in Japan.

No, it's a literal fact.

There is a reason in every Sony report on PS4 sales they specifically say SOLD THROUGH, not just sold. A shipped unit is considered a sold unit as the store bought it from the manufacturer.

It's not rocket science.
    Provide a link not a opinion mate.

If you got something that states its unit's sold to stores then you are correct. Provide something more then a post on a forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Math how does it work?
    Hahahah typing from my phone isnt my strong suit. I meant 5 years and only because those are the figures for December 2016.