Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    *shrug* Already know my AotY of 2017 anyway, as a new Portal has been confirmed.
    This might tide you over until then:

http://krucyator.bandcamp.com/track/lung-rust

10+ Year Old Account
    New Emptiness album is such a fucking letdown. It's pretty much half the quality of their previous, which is disappointing because that one was in a lot of people's top 10 of 2014.

It's Depeche Mode gone spooky atmospheric death metal (or Marilyn Manson gone Portal) without the stellar songwriting to back it up. A lot of stop and go atmospheric ambient nonsense between guitar parts with no soul or riffs. Except for the first track, it's pretty much the only track on the album that can do that well...

Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-01-12 at 09:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Rare to see you let down by a release. I was thinking of giving them another try with that album, but what you said is in accordance with what I've heard about the album so far.
    Deathspell Omega and Dead Congregation, 2 of my most anticipated releases of 2016, were also letdowns. Not even mentioning the elephant in the room Bolzer's Hero.

Deleted
    Thrash metal band I really like. Aggressive sound, not very well known sadly. New track come out a few days ago, thought I'd share, maybe some of you like it.

Deleted
    A little off Metal I guess but listen to Code Orange. New album is the bomb.

Deleted
    And this album came out too. Rather quick, their 2015 release was one of my favourites that year, extremely melodic. Haven't finished this one yet but so far, so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twoS...hMq--IwG7nsPeL

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you mean Gojira's Magma?

Hero grew on me, but it still bugs me that they haven't been able to release something of Aura quality again.
    Can't be disappointed if you expect nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Deathspell Omega and Dead Congregation, 2 of my most anticipated releases of 2016, were also letdowns. Not even mentioning the elephant in the room Bolzer's Hero.
    Deathspell Omega was my album of the year. Bolzer... Meh. Stop listening to Mastodon guys. Get back to doing what you did best.

New Emptiness album is such a fucking letdown. It's pretty much half the quality of their previous, which is disappointing because that one was in a lot of people's top 10 of 2014.

It's Depeche Mode gone spooky atmospheric death metal (or Marilyn Manson gone Portal) without the stellar songwriting to back it up. A lot of stop and go atmospheric ambient nonsense between guitar parts with no soul or riffs. Except for the first track, it's pretty much the only track on the album that can do that well...

Haven't heard it yet, but have heard some friends being quite enthusiastic about it. Curious to hear it in its entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    This might tide you over until then:

http://krucyator.bandcamp.com/track/lung-rust
    Had meant to get round to it a bit ago. Haven't yet, but got it up in a tab to give it a spin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Deathspell Omega was my album of the year.

It wasn't bad per se, but when you compare it to Paracletus or Fas or SMRC or any of the EPs, it falls woefully short. Pretty much the second worst DSO release imo.

Same with Dead Congregation, it wasn't that bad, but it didn't have any of the flavor and ferocity the band is known for. Also it might have helped if it wasn't like 13 minutes long with one track sounding like an Incantation doomy B-side that drones on for 9 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pleasantly surprised about how good the new Pain of Salvation is. After a long streak of mediocre albums, they are finally back.

They're a long ways away from Entropia or Perfect Element days, but I'll take it. Poppy but twisted prog sound is back at least. The album sounds extremely similar to Leprous' Coal.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-01-15 at 01:03 PM.

Pleasantly surprised about how good the new Pain of Salvation is. After a long streak of mediocre albums, they are finally back.

They're a long ways away from Entropia or Perfect Element days, but I'll take it. Poppy but twisted prog sound is back at least. The album sounds extremely similar to Leprous' Coal.
    Really? I listened to the album and only found a few songs I truly thought were good, the rest mostly bordering on forgettable. Interesting. I really did enjoy The Taming of the Beast, though. Thought that was a solid one. Maybe I need to give it another spin

edit: forgot to mention, I did hear some "Coal" in there, funny you mentioned it!

edit 2: I realize PoS has their obvious sex elements in their songwriting but, this video was on another level and honestly, touched a line with the whole necrophilia thing. Not sure what they were thinking, here.
    Last edited by daem; 2017-01-15 at 03:43 PM.

So another new upload from Slam Worldwide. I'm quite liking those, although my friend says "Too much piggy noises".

Super digging the latest Code Orange record. Maybe more Hardcore than Metal, but it's a super righteous record nonetheless. Interesting rhythm work- I'm half headbanging, half monster stomping around my house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Listening to the new The Great Old Ones.

My god it's full of stars.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    So another new upload from Slam Worldwide. I'm quite liking those, although my friend says "Too much piggy noises".
    I understand your friend. I don't like these type of Brutal Death/Grindcore bands. Sounds very bland and boring to me.

As much as I want to try, I just can't get into them.

Over Christmas I stumbled upon funeral doom. This album is an absolute masterpiece, and ive been listening to it nonstop for about a month now. I'm trying to give it a break because I don't want to burn myself out too fast! I need to listen to the rest of their discography too, and then get into other bands like mournful congregation and Ahab

As for black metal , I found an awesome album by a band called Caedes Cruenta. Here is my favorite song from said album.

Last edited by Ashborer; 2017-01-24 at 01:29 AM.

If anyone knows more albums like Skepticism-Stormcrowfleet or Thergothon-Stream from the Heavens please let me know! No other funeral doom beats those two albums for me. I think I like the lower fidelity production on them.

I do like the rest of skepticism's discog, but nothing comes close to stormcrowfleet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashborer View Post
    If anyone knows more albums like Skepticism-Stormcrowfleet or Thergothon-Stream from the Heavens please let me know! No other funeral doom beats those two albums for me. I think I like the lower fidelity production on them.

I do like the rest of skepticism's discog, but nothing comes close to stormcrowfleet
    Esoteric discography
    Shape of Despair discography (check out Angels of Distress)
    Tyranny - Tides of Awakening (their comeback album of 2015 is really good too)
    Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation
    Evoken - Antithesis of Light
    Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea
    Colosseum - Chapter 1: Delirium
    Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony

A personal favorite, it's somewhat of an outsider compared to the others I mentioned, but it's a very special record:

Dolorian - Voidwards

- - - Updated - - -

Have there been any good releases this year so far? I checked every day but I couldn't find anything. What have you guys enjoyed so far in this year?
    The Great Old Ones album is great, got Mors Principium Est on my to do list.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-01-24 at 09:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have there been any good releases this year so far? I checked every day but I couldn't find anything. What have you guys enjoyed so far in this year?
    New Woe is pretty darn good: https://woeunholy.bandcamp.com/album/hope-attrition

Amenra and Neurosis members just released an EP with their collaboration: http://www.enola.be/muziek/nieuws/27...ar-adem-happen

On that note, new Amenra has been completed.

Have a listen to a new Sinmara track:

And a new Misthyrming track:

Deleted
    New Mors Principium Est just leaked, listening right now (Not perfect quality).

The 2 released tracks were mediocre, but I'm listening to Masquerade right now and fuck, this is amazing! It's competing with Pure now, atleast for me! If most of the other tracks are as awesome as this one, this'll be a hell of an album! Goosebumps right now!

okay, this album is SO much better than their previous one... I am totally surprised...
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2017-01-24 at 01:25 PM.