Page 36 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Good luck, United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Good luck, United States of America.
    We'll still be here in 4 years. Thanks though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post

That's the bar Obama set.

Now it's Trump's turn to put up or shut up.
    Now everyone gets to see whether he's going to deliver on his promises - regardless of how you may feel about them - or if he's all talk.

I think Mr. Trump is going to find out it's not as easy as he thinks.
    Being President ages you terribly. Donald Trump is nearly 71. There is no way being President will not shorten his lifespan.

Let's see what he's willing to die for.
    Considering how stupid and misinformed the average person is, I don't see how approval rating is a good indicator of success. Possibly success at selling your message, but it says nothing about how good the changes are or if they promote liberty, peace etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I mean, the Obama inaug had claims of nearly 1.8 million people in attendance. Fox is putting trumps at "hundreds of thousands". Which is laughable in comparison.
    They really aren't comparable. Obama's inauguration was a historical event, the first black president of the country. There's really nothing historic about Trump that's going to draw crowds like that.

Another thing to consider is that Washington DC and the surrounding areas overwhelmingly voted for Obama, whereas Trump got an absolutely negligible amount of votes there. It's like asserting a particular sports team is less popular because when they visit their rival their fans are outnumbered. There's just far less regular people on the home turf there who supported Trump, regardless of how the national election went.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    They really aren't comparable. Obama's inauguration was a historical event, the first black president of the country. There's really nothing historic about Trump that's going to draw crowds like that.

Another thing to consider is that Washington DC and the surrounding areas overwhelmingly voted for Obama, whereas Trump got an absolutely negligible amount of votes there. It's like asserting a particular sports team is less popular because when they visit their rival their fans are outnumbered. There's just far less regular people on the home turf there who supported Trump, regardless of how the national election went.
    I find it curious why this conversation and comparison took place to begin with. Was someone salty about Trump winning so they're just looking for anything to pick at?

Deleted
    The first fascist as last democratic voted president surely is historic.

It is just that most people in Washington DC dislike Trump. So they dont join the party.

I mean.. only asshats like bigot nationalist racists. Or those who have to. In a dictatorship.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-01-21 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Yes let's compare what a rainy day and a not rainy day outside looks like with motivating people to go outside for an afternoon?
    right, because the cost of a 2 dollar rain poncho to keep you dry on a mild day is going to do sooooo much to keep people from attending the presidential inauguration that half the people will just not bother to show up? The Inauguration that, according to Trump, will be the most impressive event in the history of history?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I find it curious why this conversation and comparison took place to begin with. Was someone salty about Trump winning so they're just looking for anything to pick at?
    Probably had something to do with the Cheeto in Chief proclaiming from on high that his inauguration was going to be the most epic one in history, would be precedent setting and record breaking? Just a wild guess though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    The first fascist as last democratic voted president surely is historic.

It is just that most people in Washington DC dislike Trump. So they dont join the party.

I mean.. only asshats like bigot nationalists racists. Or those who have to. In a dictatorship.
    When I read posts like these I first assume you're joking, but there have been so many cries of "fascism" that I will assume you are serious.

Of all the textbook aspects of fascism, I cannot link any to Trump. I've truly tried. He hasn't promoted anything close to an autarky, just for some protectionist policies to keep jobs in the USA (which is a policy also enjoyed by many self-proclaimed liberals). He has never come close to calling for one-party government rule. He is far less imperialistic than other candidates in this election (Remember, Clinton called to intervene and overthrow Assad).

The word has become a pejorative, virtually meaningless with how it's tossed around. So go ahead, explain to me why you feel Trump is going to be a fascist dictator. Entertain me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Trump is taking the weekend off.
    OMG! One day in and he's already taking a vacation! Wasting taxpayer money!!! Vacationer-in-Chief! When is he going to do the job we elected him to do???

Is what I'd say if I were a right winger and Trump was a Democrat.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    It's become so extremely prolific on here and other forums, on social media, and even on news, and it basically comes down to wanting to nitpick every single thing and hit him everywhere. I am absolutely all for calling Trump out on every bit of actual bullshit and vitriol that comes out of his mouth, but going after nothing issues like this really do nothing but water down the point and make people come across as petty and insecure.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    OMG! One day in and he's already taking a vacation! Wasting taxpayer money!!! Vacationer-in-Chief! When is he going to do the job we elected him to do???

Is what I'd say if I were a right winger and Trump was a Democrat.
    and this kids is why liberal is a perjoritive. Hope you enjoy losing elections and relevance. The next 4 years are going to be entertaining.

It's become so extremely prolific on here and other forums, on social media, and even on news, and it basically comes down to wanting to nitpick every single thing and hit him everywhere. I am absolutely all for calling Trump out on every bit of actual bullshit and vitriol that comes out of his mouth, but going after nothing issues like this really do nothing but water down the point and make people come across as petty and insecure.
    Stuff like the inauguration attendance and the hand size jokes are exactly the kind of stuff that gets Trump riled up, and so it can be thought of like a strategy to push his buttons and wrongfoot him, to the extent to which something like that can be orchestrated and coordinated. Politically, there's no incentive whatsoever for the left to cooperate with Trump, their main goal is to try and prod him into making some kind of catastrophic mistake that will discredit his administration and by extension his party and their ideology. Now, maybe this isn't really a smart strategy - the GOP has enacted all sorts of disastrous policies over the years and have never really suffered politically for it, but perhaps the Democrats figure that with an unpopular president and a big enough policy blunder, they can finally do some real damage to the brand.

So this isn't an anti-Trump comment, but one about the pomp of the presidency.

Does anyone else think that inaugural affairs are rather... excessive... for a democracy? Where the President is a servant not a king? Trump, Obama, Bush... these ceremony's have barely changed in a century or more. The lavish balls, the ornate balcony's are all historic fixtures of this. Trump is not over the top in that respect compared to the historic standard.

But that said, the standard, I think, is over the top. Multiple balls? A "first dance".. of what our new king and queen? Two days of extensive live music performance. An absolutely over the top use of military personnel as a prop (Trump, in an innovation, wanted tanks to roll down Pennsylvania avenue, like it's fucking May Day in Russia... the Army firmly declined).

A little puritan modesty would go a long way towards restoring faith in these institutions. Take the oath, give a speech, and get to work. Have at nice dinner in evening. Or maybe take the oath in a place that reflects the need for surface, rather than on the balcony of the Great Castle of American Democracy.

I think it needs to be toned down a lot. It reflects badly on our moral character. Trying to illustrate the glory and greatness of the state in such on-the-jaw ways is for lesser, less free countries.

Inaugurations should be about the people as a whole, not the man who was elected to serve (although of course, with Trump, it was naturally all about him).

Unfortunately, I don't think that would be possible to do in the USA. I mean, your country already looks at the Constitution as something more closely resembling holy writ then as a document setting forth laws about how to properly govern a nation. Add to that that partisan politics has become so deeply ingrained into your countries psyche that half of it would willingly stab themselves in the dick if they could prove it would upset the other party, and you are approaching the point of lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    You mean effectively destroying the ACA with nothing to replace it? Such accomplishment.
    If you have a rotten leg, you chop it off.

ACA was a rotten leg.
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    A "first dance".. of what our new king and queen?

(although of course, with Trump, it was naturally all about him).
    Agreed.

I also couldn't help but notice his first song was "My Way."

I know it's not much, as I have very low hopes/expectations for the Trump Administration, but can I at least hope that at some point he stops re-litigating the election?

Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post

ACA was a rotten leg.
    Ouch, better make sure we have coverage before we go around amputating limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Agreed.

I also couldn't help but notice his first song was "My Way."

I know it's not much, as I have very low hopes/expectations for the Trump Administration, but can I at least hope that at some point he stops re-litigating the election?
    You know he wont though. The entire election was marred by scandal and questionable shennanignans. Trump himself at one point even pretty much outright stated that he believed that the election was rigged. So even though he won, he can't really be sure that he really won. And because Trump is Trump, and Trump never loses, you can almost guarantee that he will obsess over it until the dead horse is well and truly beaten into a fine paste. Then he will probably have somebody scoop the paste into a horse shaped jello mold and let it set so he can beat it a few more times just to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post

ACA was a rotten leg.
    Paging Doctor Trump. Paging Doctor Trump. To the Operating Room STAT. Don't bother with the anesthetics, bandages, tourniquets or any of that fancy stuff. Just bring a hacksaw. Whats the plan for After you chop the leg off? Who cares, at least it's gone. Well, my job is done here, time to go look at what kind of environmental protection acts I can fuck over next. What? You are still gushing blood from the stump of your leg? Not my problem, I just promised to get rid of the leg, didn't I?

Just remember, you voted for this.

Have fun with 4 years of Isolationist, Protectionist, Politically Inbread America.

Personally, I hope that when the Trump Administration finally realizes that they can't support America entirely internally and come crawling back to the rest of the globe looking to play ball internationally once again, that the rest of the world tells them to go fuck themselves. But that's just me.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2017-01-21 at 11:35 AM.

Deleted
    The word has become a pejorative, virtually meaningless with how it's tossed around. So go ahead, explain to me why you feel Trump is going to be a fascist dictator. Entertain me.
    It is just that you dont really know what fascism means. I am not here to educate you, read the avilable sources.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-01-21 at 11:44 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    It is just that you dont really know what facism means. I am not here to educate you, read the avilable sources.
    You're certainly not here to correctly spell words. I'm thankful I didn't receive an education from you.