Deleted

Mythic+ spec for Unholy and Frost?

Hi.

I am wondering what talents you guys run for mythic + as both dps specs.

Pre 7.1.5 I was running 2/2/1/3/2/2/3 as Frost, and did really well. After the patch tho, all specs except MG Frost got buffed - so I am torn on what to do. BoS is obv better for bosses, but has little´value on trash. I tried running Fsc, which gave me alot of dmg on trash, but a huge nerf on bosses.

For UH im torn on which talents to pick overall, especially in the 1st, second and last tier.

Deleted
    I've been reading the forums alot and when it comes to frost dks, I saw that most people are going for the BoS spec as the way to go now. For myself, I dont really like the BoS spec becouse its unreliable in my opinion. One simple mechanic from a boss fight that will make you run away, stop dps, move alot or something else, will ruin your dps drasticly. Its a high risk high reward spec, but not consistent.

I have the legendary head and waist, together with the 2set bonus from T19. This will make my obliterate proc 20% more rime, which makes the rime proc a 65% chance. Combine this with the 40% more dmg on HB from the leg head, combine with GS talent makes this spec insane, insane op. It turned out for me to be the best spec in M+ and in raids. Im having 1.2-1.8MIL HB crits, proccing every 5-6seconds.

The talents I use are: 3-1-1-3-2-3-1. With this spec you have absolutely no downtime. With the 65% chance of proc a rune with KB proc, a 15% chance of obliterate to proc 2 runes (leg waist), 65% change to proc Rime (free cost), als having RW up for about 60-70% of the time, you will have insane HB hits. My average HB dmg on a 5min ST dummy fight is around 650-850k (imagine aoe-ing packs in M+ with rime procs..). This is average hit, imagine the crits with a procced memento + pillar of ice. Whenever you do find yourself without runes, you will have cap RP most of the time since u keep proccing Rime and RIME is always a prio when u have RM up. So when you are hungry for runes (which really, really never happens), you spam FS to fish for a rune, pop Empowered runeweapon or use obliteratation. Obliteration will get you back to 6 runes in 6 seconds. Proc a KM from frost strike, oblit. Do that 4 times in your obliterate window and you can imagine how much runes it will return.

Yesterday I spammed DHT +7-9 for about 2-3 hours. My overall dmg was around the 840-970K. At ST boss fights, u can easy get a 850-900k dps on ST bosses. The HB crits/hits make this spec viable for ST as for aoe (M+)

In order to make this build viable, I highly recommend you have the legendary head. In my opinion one of our bis legendarys atm. Almost every boss in NH has cleave potential, and the neverending rime procs make this spec insanely good.

Im a frost dk main, 54 traits and 893 equipped. Check out my build and gear at armory (cant post link yet. Search for Rfaa-Neptulon)

This is for everyone who finds themself not having the maximal output from the BoS spec, not having the correct legendarys (aka ring) to use this build properly. Let me guys know what you think of this.

And yes, I only reply to you talking about frost spec, since frost outperforms unholy in m+. Unholy needs DnD for aoe, which means u need to keep the mobs in 1 position, which never happens.
    Last edited by mmocf12a4110da; 2017-01-21 at 01:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfaa View Post
    And yes, I only reply to you talking about frost spec, since frost outperforms unholy in m+. Unholy needs DnD for aoe, which means u need to keep the mobs in 1 position, which never happens.
    Hi. Its fine - I am torn on UH or Frost (as its a alt, its mostly important to have fun for me), but Il decide sometime soon. Reading through you post, I guess 2 set will help a high amount on trash, which is nice. I will try out Gathering Storms + Murderous Efficiency + Obliteratio, but I am not sold on Obliteration!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    Hi. Its fine - I am torn on UH or Frost (as its a alt, its mostly important to have fun for me), but Il decide sometime soon. Reading through you post, I guess 2 set will help a high amount on trash, which is nice. I will try out Gathering Storms + Murderous Efficiency + Obliteratio, but I am not sold on Obliteration!
    Let me know how it worked out for you. The reason I recommend Obliteration as your talent is becouse the breath spec aint good for M+ since u have alot of movement and short fights and the RA is not that bad, but the Obliteration spec also makes you stack your RW insanely fast due the obliterate cost is only 1 but it will count as 2 runes spend (during obliteration ofc)

When I am doing mythic+ I generally run with the same group and we all have sort of assigned roles. My job in the dungeon is to clear trash, so I spec according to that requirement. If our group makeup changes a little bit or things get nerfed/buffed I can switch to single target or mixed. It is very flexible as frost. There are also considerations based on the affixes. I will always run icecap and winter is coming because of the ability to aoe stun almost every fight. In general these are the setups I run:

AoE: For weeks without bolstering and where the group makeup means I am tasked to do trash damage and not so much on bosses.
    Idea here is to aoe with scythe and GA. You will not use pulse or talons because of the one rune cost of scythe, so you will mostly have more than 1 rune available.

Single Target: For weeks with bolstering, raging, tyrannical or when I am tasked with picking up some slack on boss fights.
    Typical ST build here, but I prefer obliteration to breath as the talents needed to support breath do not work well when moving from pack to pack. You won't have super uptime on breath and this spec does perfectly fine ST.

Mix or AoE and ST: For weeks that are a mixture of affixes or when we have a balanced group.
    Essentially it is just gathering storm and GA changed from ST build. These two give you okayish damage on ST but a nice boost on AoE.

So it changes, it can also depend on your legendaries. For example if you have the helm, you might focus on Freezing Fog and GS. If you have the double empower ring you might focus on a more oblit centered spec.

The other thing to note is that the haste ring is very strong now in dungeons. You can proc it on CD with grip, interrupt, stun. I have a weak aura to track the ICD and save grip to proc it when I can. It is a very big boost to not only our DPS but our movement speed which sometimes slows us down more than anything else.

Deleted
    Let me know how it worked out for you. The reason I recommend Obliteration as your talent is becouse the breath spec aint good for M+ since u have alot of movement and short fights and the RA is not that bad, but the Obliteration spec also makes you stack your RW insanely fast due the obliterate cost is only 1 but it will count as 2 runes spend (during obliteration ofc)
    Didnt know this interaction. Good to know. With 2 set, on trash - I guess those HB should still be prioritized over spending/gaining KM yeah?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    Didnt know this interaction. Good to know. With 2 set, on trash - I guess those HB should still be prioritized over spending/gaining KM yeah?
    I prioritize HB proc over anything as long as my RW is up (since i have the helm which increases the dmg by HB by another 40%). When you dont have the helm just get as many stacks on your RW as soon as possible.

Just to give an impression of the power of this spec.. check my logs on my first NH normal run. This was a messy run where we just speedkilled the entire raid as a extreemly overgeared guild with 29 people in the raid.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...5002347/latest

Using this gear during the raid (the tier19 2set bonus after the 6th boss) http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...on/Rfaa/simple
    Last edited by mmocf12a4110da; 2017-01-21 at 04:10 PM.

Deleted
    literally stealing my build bro expect mail from my lawyer soon

Yesterday I spammed DHT +7-9 for about 2-3 hours. My overall dmg was around the 840-970K. At ST boss fights, u can easy get a 850-900k dps on ST bosses. The HB crits/hits make this spec viable for ST as for aoe (M+)
    There is no universe were frost is doing 900k sustained st dps on m+ bosses with tyrannical. You have some nice gear (double BiS too) and clearly BoS is blowing up on aoe/cleave fights but ST no way.

My badly optimised unholy set pulled higher numbers on ST NH fights on heroic, frost is good but it's a cleave spec at the end of the day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    There is no universe were frost is doing 900k sustained st dps on m+ bosses with tyrannical. You have some nice gear (double BiS too) and clearly BoS is blowing up on aoe/cleave fights but ST no way.

My badly optimised unholy set pulled higher numbers on ST NH fights on heroic, frost is good but it's a cleave spec at the end of the day.
    Dont agree with you there. Also this week is fortified on EU so it was a fortified boss fight. On a short fight (1min only) i was able to do 900k dps on ST boss fight. But yeah, thats really hard to keep up after cds and hero is blown. Sure, unholy can pull higher numbers, but it will drop alot faster once your army and apoc is down

Deleted
    Since the patch...I used Defile and Epidemic (UH ofc). I kept CS. This was in DHT +6 (it wasn't teeming week) and ended up with 650k dps overall (Artifact was level 35).

I've on ran with this once though. No idea if I would run it again.

The same instance, I went with frost, poor use of CD's slightly titled because it's the new patch and everything feel different and did 550k+.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post

Cleave spec it is!

My ST damage done looks sometimes silly with IT/FP/OB+GS.
    1. ~13% Howling Blast
    2. ~13% Remorseless Winter
    3. ~13% Frozen Pulse
    -

Deleted
    With the FF-GW-OB spec my ST dmg is
    35% HB
    18% RW
    17% Obliterate
    15% FS

i've been experimenting with unholy in M+s again after doing it as frost for a long time. Liking what I'm seeing out of defile so far. I like that unlike frostscythe spec, I don't take a dump on boss fights as unholy, especially since my unholy weap is 46 and my frost only 36, and pugs are specifically asking about artifact weapon traits nowadays when I apply.

Even before the buffs UH was ok for Mythic M if mobility in DND was reduced.
    Now its even better. Damage done in defile is really great, with pets applying wounds etc.
    The only worse think about frost is missing an aoe stun.

But for me UH > frost

Honestly the Frost DK stun...while nice...isn't that unique. A lot of the top-end M+ DPS classes that we are competing against for a spot (Monk/shaman/DH/warrior) bring a stun as well, and often times it's an on-demand stun. I'm going to start looking into UH in M+ once I get my artifact to a higher level.

For now, the best Frost spec I've been able to find with just the belt (I don't have helm or bracers) is 3/1/2/x/x/1/2. Consistent 650k on trash, and able to maintain over 1m on bosses for the duration of lust/BoS. From looking at high end logs, a Scythe/GA build might perform better...but it needs more haste and I don't have multiple gear sets on me.

I usually get forced into tanking M+s but the few times I have dps'd as unholy I ran 2231-32 (- is w/e you want). Found defile with the mastery build to be preeeeetty strong.

One simple mechanic from a boss fight that will make you run away, stop dps, move alot or something else, will ruin your dps drasticly. Its a high risk high reward spec, but not consistent.
    Funny, here in lies why I ONLY really play BOS build when frost. Because planning for those moments and making sure to play around them adds a layer of depth to frost making it feel much better to play IMO.